Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One Direction bloke signs for Doncaster

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Music fans would breathe easier if he lost his vocal chords in a tragic broken glass swallowing accident.

Doncaster are a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

What in the world? A canny publicity stunt maybe, but I just can't imagine US teenage girls descending upon the Doncaster online store anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He must be pretty good for Doncaster to sign him all the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's genius. Watch all the fan girls turn up and pay money in to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

After signing Turnbull, this was logically the next step to "balance" out the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Publicity stunt does not deserve publicity. Although my posting in this thread is giving this non story more attention than it deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

He might be a decent player to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mars Bar wrote: »

I'll be shocked if he get anywhere near the first team, it's the Championship.

I'm assuming hes never played a decent stadanrd of football before?

Its all just good PR for the club I'm guessing, cant see him taking to the field in a Championship game anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A few on the Bohs forum were toying with the idea to pretend that chap Harry from the band would be in attendance for our friendly V Derby. Didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'll be shocked if he get anywhere near the first team, it's the Championship.

It says he'll play one game with the reserves. Yeah, it's just PR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I guarantee you he is insured to the hilt, his policy wouldn't let him anywhere near a serious competitive game of football.

It says he'll play one game with the reserves. Yeah, it's just PR!

Now all we need is an injury crisis so he'll be thrown in to the team. :pac:

He's a decent fella, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Is this not a charity match he's signed up to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

From what I've seen of him he usually lines up on the left side of a 5 man center. He does go centrally time to time but he's at his least effective mostly being out shown by the other lads. Decent foot work and expect plenty of cheeky winks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Loved Mick McCarthys quote on SSN.

He was asked what singer he would sign and his reply was:
    'It wouldn't be some geezer from One Direction anyway. Maybe Rihanna or Beyonce so we could guarantee having some talent in the team' :D

Mick McCarthy
    It wouldn't be some geezer from One Direction. Maybe Rihanna or Beyonce, someone with talent and who we can look at.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's to help raise money for charity.

He won't be playing any football, least not first team.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

so will he be in FM 14? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

JPA wrote: »
    It's to help raise money for charity.

He won't be playing any football, least not first team.

So he didn't actually sign for them then. /thread

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

He did sign for them.

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/rovers-sign-louis-for-bluebell-wood-960041.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Oh he did. I suppose he could play 5 minutes at the end of a match if they're winning 6-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Xavi6 wrote: »
    One Direction star Louis Tomlinson is following up his appearance in a charity match at the Keepmoat Stadium last season by signing as a non-contract player to Doncaster Rovers Football Club.

Louis has always been passionate about football and wanted to realise a dream of signing to his home town club where he once worked on match days. After discussions between Louis, Paul Dickov and Media Manager Steve Uttley, it was decided that the club could sign him and issue him with a squad number for the 2013/2014 season. As part of the signing it is hoped that Louis will be able to appear in Rovers colours at some point this season in aid of Bluebell Wood and train with the lads. Chairman John Ryan and the Manager Paul Dickov have given Louis the number 28 shirt for this season to help him raise money for Bluebell Wood.

Chairman John Ryan “I am honoured to let Louis play in my number to help raise money for the charity. I wore this in 2003 for my record beating appearance at Hereford and this is the first time I have allowed it to be used since but I felt this was a good cause”

Media Manager Steve Uttley “Louis and I organised last season’s charity game, in aid Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospice, which was a big success with over 9000 fans attending. It was natural to follow on from that and Louis wanted more involvement to raise the profile of his home town club and Bluebell Wood. What started out as light hearted banter on text has moved on to reality, which is a great coup for the club. Our next step is to get Louis on the pitch again in a Rovers kit”

Louis Tomlinson says “This has always been a childhood dream for me. I feel very honoured to have been asked to sign for Rovers and being able to help both the club and the amazing charity Bluebell Wood is what it’s all about.”

Claire Rintoul, Chief Executive at Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospice said: “We’re absolutely thrilled and delighted that Louis has decided to continue his support for Bluebell Wood and promote what we do here.

“Being a local lad it’s great to see him giving back to the community and supporting our children with a shortened life expectancy. He’s visited us now on more than one occasion and met some of our children and their families who are all so excited that he is championing our cause. Louise was shocked when he learnt that we only receive a tiny amount of statutory funding and have to raise over £3million ourselves, but it means so much to us and our children and families that he’s giving his time to help us raise money and awareness.”

Its for charity, its a good thing, its nothing serious.

Non contract basis, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

wat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Journo in not reading full article and posting shocker!!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I had to google one direction lol

Had no idea who they are or did I really want too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Headshot wrote: »
    I had to google one direction lol

Had no idea who they are or did I really want too

yet you still googled them :)

• Advertisement

yet you still googled them :)

Don't mind Headshot

Sky sports understands this is his bedroom..

tumblr_mky0c6Qy9x1s000rlo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol im a stalker now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

one direction fans are actually vicious. god help any man that injuries your man in that friendly/charity game or if fans abuse him....

this is pretty sad, but scary at the same time....

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2013-07/30/one-direction-gq-covers-most-terrifying-responses

there are some disturbed people out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Donny are only going One Direction.. thats down.

UTO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Doing his bit for charity whilst supporting his local team. Fair play Louis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Everybody wins, Doncaster sell a good few jerseys, money made for charity and Louis can achieve every kids dream of being a footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It is not unprecedented, Melchester Rovers once signed two members of Spandau Ballet

3236373927_edd2597184.jpg

Although it was the beginning of the end for Roy of The Rovers, along with most of the team dying in a military coup while they were on a pre-season tour in Basran.

Skid X wrote: »
    It is not unprecedented, Melchester Rovers once signed two members of Spandau Ballet

Although it was the beginning of the end for Roy of The Rovers, along with most of the team dying in a military coup while they were on a pre-season tour in Basran.

Ha ha. First thing i thought of when i heard the news. Brilliant :D I was just about to post that very picture only you beat me too it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ha ha. First thing i thought of when i heard the news. Brilliant :D I was just about to post that very picture only you beat me too it.

Ha, nice one. Good to know I'm not the only who remembers those crazy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

What's the story with berlusconi now that the last appeal didn't work. I know he still won't be jailed but will it affect his relationship with the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What's the story with berlusconi now that the last appeal didn't work. I know he still won't be jailed but will it affect his relationship with the club?
    From what I've heard, him and Paul Dickov will remain in regular contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

one direction fans are actually vicious. god help any man that injuries your man in that friendly/charity game or if fans abuse him....

this is pretty sad, but scary at the same time....

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2013-07/30/one-direction-gq-covers-most-terrifying-responses

there are some disturbed people out there.

No different to a high percentage of football fans when they see something they don't like. The only difference is that one direction fans are less likely to stab you.

Advertisement