Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car tax in the states

Options
  • 01-08-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

How much is car tax yearly in the states. Lets say new York. Does it go by the engine size of the car etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

In GA, it goes by value of the car. I pay around $300/yr on a 2002 E320.

No idea how much NY is. Look up their dmvs site, you might find some info.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

cena wrote: »
    How much is car tax yearly in the states. Lets say new York. Does it go by the engine size of the car etc

It can be based on the car's age or weight or value. in NYC it looks like it's based on weight.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/regfee.htm

When searching online note that 'tax' in the US is what we call VRT in Ireland while our road tax is 'registration fee'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I think it goes by value of the car.

I know a lot of people prefer private sellers because they can put down a different purchase price than what it was actually sole for.

Given cars depreciate every year,mi have no idea how they calculate tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I'm in Illinois. I think I pay $99 for my yearly license plates and $15 for my city sticker (actually it is $30 for two years).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I'm in Illinois. I think I pay $99 for my yearly license plates and $15 for my city sticker (actually it is $30 for two years).

What is a city sticker?

• Advertisement

What is a city sticker?

Something specific to Illinois I think

http://chicityclerk.com/city-stickers-parking/about-city-vehicle-stickers/

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

New Hampshire has state and town...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Ive lived in 4 states and none of them charged by the engine size. (CT, MA, FL, IL). It is based on the approx value of the car. How they cLculate it, I have no idea, but I do know the number they use is typicLly much lower than the car would sell for

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

My car tax was based on value of the car in the states where I used to live too...5% in the last one. You don't provide the valuation. The Dept of Motor Vechicles/Transport do. You get a bill in the post about a month before your car tax expires. It has the valuation of the car on it, and the amount of car tax owed. They go off the standard blue book and Edmunds car guide valuations. I've never had a problem with the amount that I had to pay. I always thought that they undervalued my car, so I just shut up and paid it. :)

whitey1 wrote: »
    Ive lived in 4 states and none of them charged by the engine size. (CT, MA, FL, IL). It is based on the approx value of the car. How they cLculate it, I have no idea, but I do know the number they use is typicLly much lower than the car would sell for

Actually its either by vehicle weight or a flat fee in all of those states. Not value of the car.

• Advertisement

How is the excise determined?
    The amount of the excise is based on the value of the motor vehicle that is based upon the manufacturer's list price.

Various percentages of the manufacturer's list price are applied. The formula is as follows:

In the year preceding the designated year of manufacture
    (brand new car released before model year) - 50%
    In the designated year of manufacture- 90%
    In the second year - 60%
    In the third year - 40%
    In the fourth year - 25%
    In the fifth and succeeding years -10%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Washington state has a $30 fee plus a charge for weight between $10 and $20.

You can also get personalized plates:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/specialdesign.html

How is the excise determined?
    The amount of the excise is based on the value of the motor vehicle that is based upon the manufacturer's list price.

Various percentages of the manufacturer's list price are applied. The formula is as follows:

In the year preceding the designated year of manufacture
    (brand new car released before model year) - 50%
    In the designated year of manufacture- 90%
    In the second year - 60%
    In the third year - 40%
    In the fourth year - 25%
    In the fifth and succeeding years -10%

That's unusual. The city adding a separate 'property tax' levy on top of the state registration tax.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    That's unusual. The city adding a separate 'property tax' levy on top of the state registration tax.

Ah stop, youll get them completely confused

Registration Fees are paid to the State-in MA its a flat fee of $50 every 2 years

Then you have your annual inspection whoch you do at a local garage-that a flat fee of $29 per year

Excise tax is paid to your local town, city or municipality. Thats paid annually and I think is based off the "value" of the car- see above. I think its $25 per $1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Here in Ohio there's no annual tax.....you pay sales tax whenever you purchase the car, and after that just the annual registration fee ($50-$70)

Here in Ohio there's no annual tax.....you pay sales tax whenever you purchase the car, and after that just the annual registration fee ($50-$70)

There is no such thing as road tax as we know it in the USA. IMO annual registration fee is probably the closest thing as far as the OP is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

No road tax in PA either, you pay sales tax on the purchase price (the same as VAT basically and it's 7% here) and registration each year, that's a flat $75 for all cars, it might be different for trucks over a certain weight. There's also an annual inspection much like the NCT, the cost of that varies but I think it's typically around $70 if you don't need work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Excise tax is paid to your local town, city or municipality. Thats paid annually and I think is based off the "value" of the car- see above. I think its $25 per $1000.

I thought by definition excise was paid by the producer and hidden in the cost at purchase, an annual tax can't really be defined as excise. Also local taxes vary a lot from region to region, I've never actually heard of any municipality charging a tax on cars.

spideog7 wrote: »
    I thought by definition excise was paid by the producer and hidden in the cost at purchase, an annual tax can't really be defined as excise. Also local taxes vary a lot from region to region, I've never actually heard of any municipality charging a tax on cars.

You're right, excise is a strange (and incorrect?) term to use. But use it they do.

Incidentally, I keep reading the term 'road tax'. You mean 'motor tax', right? Ireland (as an example) does not have road tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Registration fee is the same as a tax. Different name that's all.

• Advertisement

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Incidentally, I keep reading the term 'road tax'. You mean 'motor tax', right? Ireland (as an example) does not have road tax.

At a guess I'd say that anyone over 30 still calls it road tax as that is what it always used to be called. Now that none of the money goes towards the upkeep of the roads I guess it got informally renamed ?

Ponster wrote: »
    At a guess I'd say that anyone over 30 still calls it road tax as that is what it always used to be called. Now that none of the money goes towards the upkeep of the roads I guess it got informally renamed ?

Probably the case. Irish Motor Tax now goes into the general fund (US term).

I'm sure plenty of motorists lament the fact that its not road tax anymore. Can't be giving out about cyclists not paying their share.

Advertisement