Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assign a drive letter

Options
  • 01-08-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Got a New computer and when I connect old external drive with all movies it is given drive "E".

I use a movie data base and old computer gave the drive "F".

Now each time I connect I have to go to computer management and change the drive letter.
    Is there any way iI can get new computer to always give me "F"

I know I could connect something to "E" first but I dont want to do that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

practice wrote: »
    Now each time I connect I have to go to computer management and change the drive letter.
    Is there any way iI can get new computer to always give me "F"

That's strange... if you're going through the computer management / disk management control panel app, it "should" be persistent...

HowToGeek Link

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Thank you for link.
    Have read it and this may be the problem.

"NOTE: It is best to select a letter between M and Z (inclusive). If you pick a letter like E, F, or G, the drive letter may still change frequently because these letters may be used for other drives, like CDROM drives, that are not always connected."

Looks like I may have to change the path in the Database.
    only 1400 films to do.

Got it sorted.
    I just assigned "E" to one of the DVD roms, So now I have
    A drive
    C and D harddrives

E and G DVD Roms
    So when I plug in I get "F" all the time

Advertisement