Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VWP requirements / onward ticket

Options
  • 01-08-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks! Is a return or onward ticket required for ESTA / visa waiver program? Was hoping to be in states for 3 months then go to mexico and central and south america after. Do I need a return ticket for Ireland? Have been told canada and mexico do not count for onward flights?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You're correct, proof of return or onward travel is a condition of the VWP.

Check out: http://london.usembassy.gov/faq-vwp.html#niv097 for the second part of your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

BuffyBot wrote: »
    You're correct, proof of return or onward travel is a condition of the VWP.

Check out: http://london.usembassy.gov/faq-vwp.html#niv097 for the second part of your question.

Thanks Buffy! Interesting that if entering by land there is no requirement for a return / onward ticket out of states.

Might be just as easy to fly into mexico and enter by land and return after 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 manzana

Good luck Gingko.
    If you stay 89 days in the US soil, and fly to Mexico or Canada for a trip... you will not get the VWP extended because of that. If you come back to US soon, you will be asked questions. As someone using VWP, you are not supposed to be using it for anything near 180 days or more a year.
    If you want to stay longer... tourist visa perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

manzana wrote: »
    Good luck Gingko.
    If you stay 89 days in the US soil, and fly to Mexico or Canada for a trip... you will not get the VWP extended because of that. If you come back to US soon, you will be asked questions. As someone using VWP, you are not supposed to be using it for anything near 180 days or more a year.
    If you want to stay longer... tourist visa perhaps?

I do not intend to stay beyond the 90 days. What I would like to do is go to Mexico after 90 days are up! But it states that an onward ticket to Mexico does not count? So before leaving here I either have to buy a return ticket for Ireland or an onward ticket to somewhere further then Mexico? Is this true? And will I also need to show them proof of funds on arrival?

Advertisement