Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redwater

Options
  • 01-08-2013 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭

Had to give a blood transfusion to a cow today with redwater. She is on an outfarm and i didnt keep a close enough eye on them. My vet reckons its deadly weather for redwater at the moment. Good article about it in the journal this week.
    It is a lot easier to prevent it than cure it for sure. Normally use bayticol on the outfarm but didnt bother with it this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I spend about an hour standing in the middle of my heifers as they are on an awful outfarm for redwater. They are dosed with Bayticol every 3 weeks, even this year when I haven't seen any ticks yet. Almost never leave the field until I've seen them all pass water - time consuming nuisance, but necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Surely if you are using bayticol every three weeks then they wont get redwater?
    I used it on the outfarm every year til now and never had a case of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If you have one who is bad/weak, give them guinness, molasses, glycerine, glucose. I mixed them together and not sure if I added some water to it. I did this years ago with one who was very weak and she got better.
    They have a sweet tooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Of all years I didn't think it'd be bad for it, what with grass being ate to the butt during 'the drought of 2013'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

KatyMac wrote: »
    I spend about an hour standing in the middle of my heifers as they are on an awful outfarm for redwater. They are dosed with Bayticol every 3 weeks, even this year when I haven't seen any ticks yet. Almost never leave the field until I've seen them all pass water - time consuming nuisance, but necessary.

Hi Katy,

Get Imizol bottle from your vet and give 1ml per 50kg under the skin and pour a nice glass of wine for yourself at home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

Bayticol every 6 weeks best dose for it know its expense but it works the best of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Bodacious wrote: »
    Hi Katy,

Get Imizol bottle from your vet and give 1ml per 50kg under the skin and pour a nice glass of wine for yourself at home!

Imizol all the way here. If you do them when the ticks are on them they are immune forever more. Not cheap though, I think it was 20 quid for the last shot I got for a 700kg bull. I wouldnt trust myself to remember to put the bayticol on them every 6 weeks.

Can you only get Imizol from vet? I was trying to remember what it was called earlier this year and couldn't, so went with the Bayticol. Are they definitely immune for evermore? I wouldn't know what to do with myself if all were done and I didn't have to watch them like a hawk. About 3 years ago I was late with a dose of Bayticol and lost a 16month old heifer, so am a bit paranoid! She charged me in the field with no warning and then collapsed at my feet - have never been so scared. Vet said her brain was starved of blood and she didn't know what she was doing. Died as we were preparing a transfusion, And this was with me watching out for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

what age do cattle start to get susceptible at ,

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

RobertKK wrote: »
    If you have one who is bad/weak, give them guinness, molasses, glycerine, glucose. I mixed them together and not sure if I added some water to it. I did this years ago with one who was very weak and she got better.
    They have a sweet tooth.

yeah same as. apparently guinness stout (the little bottles) does the best job

• Advertisement

hugo29 wrote: »
    what age do cattle start to get susceptible at ,

Around here everything gets it as a calf and I doenst really bother them and they become immune after, I cant say at what age it becomes life threatning to them because we never had a case of it in my memory. Wont buy anything unless im sure they are out of a ''sound'' place.

Can you only get Imizol from vet? I was trying to remember what it was called earlier this year and couldn't, so went with the Bayticol. Are they definitely immune for evermore? I wouldn't know what to do with myself if all were done and I didn't have to watch them like a hawk. About 3 years ago I was late with a dose of Bayticol and lost a 16month old heifer, so am a bit paranoid! She charged me in the field with no warning and then collapsed at my feet - have never been so scared. Vet said her brain was starved of blood and she didn't know what she was doing. Died as we were preparing a transfusion, And this was with me watching out for them!

They will become immune if you do them when the ticks are on them, they are normally to be found inside the front legs if they are.

bought in a FR X JR to suckle a calf that cow kept putting bed out..

Had her a month and no redwater

gave her 10ml imizol as a preventative jab on july 26th thinking she'd have the ticks on her by now and get lifetime immunity

4 weeks later she has redwater:confused:

Just by chance I spotted her today, brought her in gave her jar of treacle, margarine, Guinness and six eggs down the hatch... got vet to send out 8ml of imizol tonight and she got that too.

he told me to hold off on the salt as she is skittering away, she bright as a button and eating and drinking all ahead of her so im hoping the shot she got 4 weeks ago might help her to fight it

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ceannfort

Keep bottling her with glucose and water every few hours to keep the toxins flushed out of her system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭arais

gave her 10ml imizol as a preventative jab on july 26th thinking she'd have the ticks on her by now and get lifetime immunity

Just by chance I spotted her today, brought her in gave her jar of treacle, margarine, Guinness and six eggs down the hatch... got vet to send out 8ml of imizol tonight and she got that too.

he told me to hold off on the salt as she is skittering away, she bright as a button and eating and drinking all ahead of her so im hoping the shot she got 4 weeks ago might help her to fight it

she is in the early stages so,
    remember that it is usually the dry mourn that kills .. keep fluids into her and move with treacle/molasses/liquid parraffin if she begins to get bound up , hopefully the imizol will have given immunity and she will recover quickly

Have an 8 year old cow that we bred ourselves here passing red water too this morning, what else can cause them to pass blood in their water? I very much doubt its the tick based redwater because we have never had it in cattle we raised ourselves, Our land is riddled with ticks and they become immune as calves. Shes bright eyed and bushy tailed, only happened to notice it because we had her in the crush for dosing.

Have an 8 year old cow that we bred ourselves here passing red water too this morning, what else can cause them to pass blood in their water? I very much doubt its the tick based redwater because we have never had it in cattle we raised ourselves, Our land is riddled with ticks and they become immune as calves. Shes bright eyed and bushy tailed, only happened to notice it because we had her in the crush for dosing.

I had a ten year old cow like that once. She had some kind of kidney infection which didnt respond to whatever treatment she got. Sold her calf and sent her to the factory.

tanko wrote: »
    I had a ten year old cow like that once. She had some kind of kidney infection which didnt respond to whatever treatment she got. Sold her calf and sent her to the factory.

I'll keep a close eye on her for a few days before I do anything, stunned me a bit when I saw it.

she got 9ml of imizol under the skin lastnight and vet reckoned she be right by today.

I ran here up the crush and gave her full of lifeline bucket of treacle warm water and Guinness in a 200ml dosing gun... holding her and dosing on your own is a balls!!

But she is clear, she walked out and pissed clear as a bell... don't stand behind her though as she will destroy you.. I must have got her early:)

Glad to hear she is on the recovery route. I hate to see a beast with it. I've been fighting a battle with it for what seems like forever!

• Advertisement

A heifer calved last night, calf was stuck for a while, but was taken without any mad pulling. Today the heifer is passing water that is red> I don't know if she has redwater or just red water! She is bright in herself, eating, passing dung. I've got guinness, glucose for her. Her calf died, unfortunately. It's the first death I've had in 3 years, so I suppose my luck couldn't last forever.

A heifer calved last night, calf was stuck for a while, but was taken without any mad pulling. Today the heifer is passing water that is red> I don't know if she has redwater or just red water! She is bright in herself, eating, passing dung. I've got guinness, glucose for her. Her calf died, unfortunately. It's the first death I've had in 3 years, so I suppose my luck couldn't last forever.

hi katy,

sorry to hear about your loss, I wouldn't take too much notice of bloody bits/ discharge in urine one day post calving, keep an eye on her but it's unlikely

hi katy,

sorry to hear about your loss, I wouldn't take too much notice of bloody bits/ discharge in urine one day post calving, keep an eye on her but it's unlikely
    Thanks Bodacious! She's in shed with a plenty to eat and drink and doesn't seem sick, so I'm hoping. I'll get vet tomorrow if there isn't any clear up - it will make me feel happier even if she doesn't need it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Thanks Bodacious! She's in shed with a plenty to eat and drink and doesn't seem sick, so I'm hoping. I'll get vet tomorrow if there isn't any clear up - it will make me feel happier even if she doesn't need it!!!

Better to be safe than sorry!

Vet came and you've never seen a healthier looking animal! Urine still red though. No temperature, no obvious infection, no signs of trauma at her rear end. He gave her (I think) phospous (bad spelling!) and told me to give her more beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kingdom fan

I stopped using Imizol this year as the retention period is massive for meat, I think it's bout 200 days, im using Ivomec super every 6 weeks or so but I think it's not a bad year for red water as I have a pure bog with 6 cows on it and no ticks, cattle are usually infested with ticks but not this year

I stopped using Imizol this year as the retention period is massive for meat, I think it's bout 200 days, im using Ivomec super every 6 weeks or so but I think it's not a bad year for red water as I have a pure bog with 6 cows on it and no ticks, cattle are usually infested with ticks but not this year

My vet said that. he reacons it must be something to do with use of pour ons, lime, fert and weather. i've noticed less ticks on my clothes this year as well.

I'm planning to move some yearlings to the outfarm where redwater can be a problem. How long before i move them would i need to have put Bayticol on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

tanko wrote: »
    I'm planning to move some yearlings to the outfarm where redwater can be a problem. How long before i move them would i need to have put Bayticol on them?

Bayticol is the only job apply and move them it's effective straight away.always use it for first dose and then spot on every six weeks.

• Advertisement

I said wrote: »
    Bayticol is the only job apply and move them it's effective straight away.always use it for first dose and then spot on every six weeks.

I didn't know that spot on prevented red water, I suppose it's a fair bit cheaper than Bayticol?

Advertisement