Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dipetane - Engine runs perfect using it & stutters on cold in low revs with out

Options
  • 01-08-2013 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Wondering if anyone can tell me why my 2007 2.0 TDI Golf engine runs perfect using Dipetane on a fill up and when its not used it runs roughly.
    Always happens on a cold engine on low enough rev (1500-2000). Its like 'kangaroo petrol' for a second and then disappears as revs increase.
    Car just got a full service & VW garage cant find anything on the computer scan. EGR need a cleaning or maybe a known problem with this engine? Think I need a good old fashioned mechanic!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I had a similar problem with a diesel recently. It turned out that the fuel/tank was dirty - diesel black in colour. First port of call the fuel filter, change and see what comes out i.e. is it clear and change filter /fuel if not. Fuel pump had to be removed and cleaned too on mine then concentrated injector cleaner added! Was told a lot of bad diesel around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cmchugh82

Mechanic mentioned that alright. Changed the fuel filter a few weeks ago and problem disappeared for a few days but came back. Old filter was very dirty. Dipetane what ever it does seems to fix problem. What kinda money for fuel pump & tank cleaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Time to change where you buy your fuel then by the sounds of it. Cheap diesel is a false economy - stick with the main brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

cmchugh82 wrote: »
    Mechanic mentioned that alright. Changed the fuel filter a few weeks ago and problem disappeared for a few days but came back. Old filter was very dirty. Dipetane what ever it does seems to fix problem. What kinda money for fuel pump & tank cleaning?

Try a bottle of BG44k (check their site for nearest dealer and get the diesel version), its a well regarded Fuel system cleaner, cost about EUR35 a bottle. Dipetane isnt a fuel system cleaner, its a fuel combustion enhancer, so at best its not making a dirty fuel problem worse, but it wont clean anything for you.

Also I second Chimaera's advise, start buying fuel in a different location for a number of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Changing filter wasn't enough in may case. Clean out and pump flushed with parafin cost 120 euro - cheaper that a new pump 1,000 euro. Injectors were ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭2pack

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Try a bottle of BG44k (check their site for nearest dealer and get the diesel version), its a well regarded Fuel system cleaner, cost about EUR35 a bottle. Dipetane isnt a fuel system cleaner, its a fuel combustion enhancer, so at best its not making a dirty fuel problem worse, but it wont clean anything for you.

Also I second Chimaera's advise, start buying fuel in a different location for a number of weeks.

will dipetane help to with minor injectors problems as some people say the problem disappeared after a few weeks use of the stuff.
    I was told to use it in my opel vivaro van to keep the injectors in good order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Sounds like your fuel filter is clogged again. Dipetane is probably compensating for the blockage rather than curing anything. I would at least pull off the tank and inspect it.

What dodgy diesel can do - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056872021

• Registered Users Posts: 1 irishhonda

i Bought a bottle of dipetane for my 2012 honda accord 2.2 diesel . What a mistake.
    3 days later the engine went into limp mode and wouldnt start ,Turned out 2 injectors has burns their tips off, the repair is going to cost a small fortune if Honda dont accept it as warrenty work.
    Apparently, dipetane increases the fuel temperature thus heating parts considerably , modern engines do not need this snake oil to operate efficiently, problem is curiosity got the best of me.
    Lesson learned the hard way. STAY AWAY FROM THIS GARBAGE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Probably a high pressure pump issue.

Would be best to get the fuel rail presure tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rimakus

irishhonda wrote: »
    i Bought a bottle of dipetane for my 2012 honda accord 2.2 diesel . What a mistake.
    3 days later the engine went into limp mode and wouldnt start ,Turned out 2 injectors has burns their tips off, the repair is going to cost a small fortune if Honda dont accept it as warrenty work.
    Apparently, dipetane increases the fuel temperature thus heating parts considerably , modern engines do not need this snake oil to operate efficiently, problem is curiosity got the best of me.
    Lesson learned the hard way. STAY AWAY FROM THIS GARBAGE

irishhonda

Did you join just to post this? Your car is equipped with DPF filter and as part of a DPF cleaning process it either burns more fuel in order to increase temperature to burn of accumulated soot or injects special fuel additive from a tank under the hood to increase fuel burn temperature so I really doubt that injectors burnt off because of Dipetane made fuel burn better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you find a suspicious post, please use the Report a post button report.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rimakus

Ups, I just noticed that I myself have only two posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We'll stop here. There a huge Dip thread here with tonnes of info.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement