Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Authorities - Get the finger out!

Options
  • 01-08-2013 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

So I am dropping someone over to the races when I have come across this on the way in.

Now I work in Parkmore West so this is not the first time I have had to drive through this flood but you would think it could have been sorted by now. This is going on for years. And you would think that during this very important economic event that local authorities would be doing all they could to make sure punters get to and from the races safely and speedily.

BTW, don't bother saying 'unusual weather condition, downpour etc'., this was a few heavy showers. I drove home and back across the city numerous times and no where else did I have to risk damage to my car to get to my destination.

So, Galway City/County Councils, quit the messing and sort this problem out.

Parkmore_Flooding.jpg

And yes, there are two cars on the wrong side of the road, on the footpath, trying to navigate through the deep water.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Its worse on the Seamus quirke road. They spent a fortune on drainage works on one side of the road and fair play the water no longer gathers there , it has now moved to the other side of the road making it impossible to walk on the footpath near snipe lawn without getting soaked by a passing car.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

phelant wrote: »
    Did that yesterday.
    wave_smiley10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

they had a drainage service out early that morning, around 7 am, I guess to counteract the usual issues - by the time I went home around half 3, it was Parkmore Lakes once more...

Bloody nightmare. But at least this time they put 'Road flooded' sign up...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

17mms of rain falling in three hours is a bit more than "this was a few heavy showers", data here..http://weather.nuigalway.ie/

what is worrying is that people continued to drive in conditions which are dangerous to them their passengers and their vehicle,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

snubbleste wrote: »

Gwayouhadah. Complete joke of a website. It has no meaning whatsoever in real life, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    . Complete joke of a website. It has no meaning whatsoever in real life, imo.

not from my experience.. I've submitted a good few things via the app/website and the city council responded and repaired them. the Parks Dept. especially have been responsive and diligent, admittedly the Roads Dept. haven't.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Shakti wrote: »
    what is worrying is that people continued to drive in conditions which are dangerous to them their passengers and their vehicle,

My theory is that Irish people are so used to not letting the weather get in the way that they actually aren't good at realising when conditions have moved from "difficult, keep going" to "dangerous, best to stop".

My theory is that Irish people are so used to not letting the weather get in the way that they actually aren't good at realising when conditions have moved from "difficult, keep going" to "dangerous, best to stop".

That's fact I'd say, I was out driving the back roads at that time when it got silly I copped on and pulled over,

• Advertisement

jkforde wrote: »
    not from my experience.. I've submitted a good few things via the app/website and the city council responded and repaired them. the Parks Dept. especially have been responsive and diligent, admittedly the Roads Dept. haven't.

Any specific examples?

All my notifications were ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Any specific examples?

All my notifications were ignored.

hey iwh, reported to them that some wooden seating on the Prom opposite Salthill Hotel was rotted, they fixed it; reported that the cement on the pillars on the Prom with the brass poetry plaques was rotting away, they fixed them; reported that the traffic calming installation going in to Dunnes at Gort na Bró were loose and a danger to cyclists and they got someone to repair. have also used fixyourstreet to give positive feedback to the council, like giving a thumbs up on the good work being done in terms of landscaping on the banks of the Eglinton Canal. like I said, not everything I've reported had been acted on (Roads Dept to date score zero!) but if they got more and more reports it might make them think...

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

phelant wrote: »
    Now I work in Parkmore West so this is not the first time I have had to drive through this flood but you would think it could have been sorted by now. This is going on for years.

As you have said this is going on for years but they've tried to fix this 5/6 times over the past 15 or so years, the redesign of the road failed miserably to do anything about it. The road itself is pretty much the lowest point of the surrounding land (one side is slightly lower but not enough to make a difference), and the point of the flooding is effectively the bottom of a bowl that runs from the racecourse one side and Hazelwood on the other. The only thing that can be done is to pump the water away. Maybe they should use it to build some bigger water features in the surrounding business parks.

That said the rain on Wednesday & Thursday was particularly heavy and left many spots like this (where the road is the lowest place in the surrounds) flooded. You should have seen the streams of water coming down the hill at racecourse ave (or were you one of the people that unintentionally splashed be because the puddles were deceptively deep ;) -not that I blame anyone who did it because the puddles did not look like anything that water should splash any kind of distance from).

so who can I pester to get the traffic lights at the Tuam Road junction back to what they were before the races started?

Took me 20 minutes from Parkmore just to that junction because of stupid light sequence (at 3.30 in the afternoon, nowhere near rush hour)...:mad:

You are going to have to get used to it, because we are now in school book buying season

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Which is the official site? Fixmystreet.ie or Fixyourstreet.ie?

snubbleste wrote: »
    You are going to have to get used to it, because we are now in school book buying season

sorry, of course, I forgot :P

but seriously, it worked fine before the races, can they not just change it back to how it was?

galah wrote: »
    so who can I pester to get the traffic lights at the Tuam Road junction back to what they were before the races started?

Took me 20 minutes from Parkmore just to that junction because of stupid light sequence (at 3.30 in the afternoon, nowhere near rush hour)...:mad:

You'll be waiting a lot longer for a response from City Hall, I reckon.

Apart from the general tendency of the Transport & Infrastructure Directorate to be glacially slow in responding to enquiries, some of their staff may be on annual leave currently, and will be out of the office for up to three weeks.

Das Kitty wrote: »

I'm grimly holding on for fixmylocalauthority.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You'll be waiting a lot longer for a response from City Hall, I reckon.

Apart from the general tendency of the Transport & Infrastructure Directorate to be glacially slow in responding to enquiries, some of their staff may be on annual leave currently, and will be out of the office for up to three weeks.

contact whoever you voted for in the election.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »

'fixyourstreet' is the new 'fixmystreet', or was that the other way round......

Fair point, but it's far from the whole story.

My vote should not make a difference in this specific context (i.e. coaxing the Council to carry out its functions efficiently). Councillors, once elected, are there to work on behalf of the whole city, not just for their ward or for the 1200 or so people who voted for them.

That said, I do raise issues with Councillors from time to time. Unfortunately, I now realise that Councillors have no real power in City Hall, even though the executive is allegedly accountable to them. If officials don't want to respond to representations made by Councillors then they can simply stonewall, and there isn't a damn thing the elected members can do about it. That's my reading of the situation at any rate.

I'm not allowed to vote in the elections...

I'm not allowed to vote in the elections...

wouldn't be a city council issue in any case, that part of the road is in the county.

really? That Tuam Road junction is not within city limits? But it's controlled by the city as all the other ex-roundabouts now junctions? (was that control room ever set up?)

Surely they must have noticed the traffic going out though - all the way back from the magic roundabout, up Sean Mulvoy and along the entire Tuam Road up to that junction - and again, this was at 3.30 this arvo, not rush hour...I solely blame the changed light sequence...

really? That Tuam Road junction is not within city limits? But it's controlled by the city as all the other ex-roundabouts now junctions? (was that control room ever set up?)

Sorry meant the bit of road in the photo.
    Surely they must have noticed the traffic going out though - all the way back from the magic roundabout, up Sean Mulvoy and along the entire Tuam Road up to that junction - and again, this was at 3.30 this arvo, not rush hour...I solely blame the changed light sequence...

You are right it is the lights sequence and they want it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

all the way back from the magic roundabout, up Sean Mulvoy and along the entire Tuam Road up to that junction - and again, this was at 3.30 this arvo, not rush hour...I solely blame the changed light sequence...

Sounds like school-book season has started .... :D

Uniform etc already got, so no panic here.

Don't mention the b-word though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

City Council is who you pester. This is within the City Council's area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

That section of road has been like that for as long as I can remember. 4 years at least.

Same bit of road is ****ed as soon as its snowing/icy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement