Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dart from Dublin city to Maynooth

Options
  • 01-08-2013 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am starting in Maynooth in September as a mature student. I will be commuting using the train from Dublin city centre. Does anyone know how much the return ticket for a student is? I think I will be in 4 days a week. Do many commute and how do you find it? I will commute for the first year anyway and see how I find it before considering moving out. Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was €7.25 for me to get a return ticket to/from Pearse today, that said there are better options available that you can look into: leapcard, monthly/yearly tickets etc. I commute daily and find it fine, though relying on the trains can be frustrating at times.

And to be needlessly pedantic, it's not the Dart out to Maynooth, it's commuter rail :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Depending on where you're coming from it might be more convinient (and definitely cheaper) to get the 66/67 bus - it leaves from Merrion square and goes along the quays up to parkgate street.

The monthly train/bus/luas ticket is 108 euro. 30 day bus ticket is 91.50. A weekly train ticket is 25 AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ramblingcelt

am also starting in Maynooth. Have been advised to get a leap card.

The student leap card is also available but am not sure if there is extra discount. It may also be an option to get an annual ticket.

Very hard to find clear information.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

When I was commuting I got a student leap card and then used it to get a monthly ticket for 88euro (rail only). I think leap fare was 3.00 -3.50 each way so if I took the train 15 days in the month it was cheaper to get a month ticket than pay by leap.

Don't get the bus... it will drive you insane with not showing up/being full of loud obnoxious school kids/being late etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Get the student travel card. It will pay for itself after a month, and you get other discounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Also if you are planning to use Dublin Bus as well quite often I would advise you to get Bus and Rail Student ticket as it might be cheaper for you (Last year it cost about €106/month), otherwise monthly rail ticket would be perfect for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ms.sunnyb

Cool thank you for the replies, i will probably stick to getting the commuter rail as the bus traffic would prob be a pain at the hours I would be commuting. Sounds like it is going to be quiet expensive. The leapcard monthly student ticket sounds like the best value.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Get the student travel card. It will pay for itself after a month, and you get other discounts.

Worth mentioning that you don't get any extra discounts on the student leap card than you would on a normal leap card for normal journeys. And boots are the only shop that don't accept normal student cards for student discounts.

If you will be getting a weekly/monthly/yearly pass with Irish Rail or Dublin Bus than the travelcard is worth the €15 but I wouldn't bother otherwise. IR accept normal student cards for most other student offers and Bus Eireann always accept a normal student card.

Advertisement