Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birdseye View of Dundalk

Options
  • 01-08-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

I dont know if this has been posted before, but after my earlier rant on planning some things were got right, even if you have to go back to the works by Lord Limerick:P

Similar footage with a few extras..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Im sure Larry wouldnt mind!

Interesting to see Barry Evans aka 40 coats in this selection! For those who wouldnt remember he was an austrailian chap living in a boot shaped home under the arches of the old louth hospital, and walked the town with his every possession in a crazy prices shopping trolly

Not a personal interest of mine but showbands of that era around town, some familiar faces here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Thank you for posting these !

I saw this on the Facebook group "Dundalk Northend and Friends" last night actually. Really haven't had a chance to get a good proper look at it!

As a blow in it really gave me perspective on how much our fair town has grown ! :)
    1098505_187815848061205_515470508_n.jpg

Didnt think they'd have aeroplanes when the town was like that never mind cameras lol (i see the date is 1918 now actually)

To see the Demense there in full it makes me even more disappointed that there isnt more left unbuilt on than just Ice House Hill - running from what is today Jimmys Pub to the Green Church left mid picture. I believe there were gates not disimilar to the Pheonix Park at one time at the entrance to the demense at the Park St/Demense junction - what a fine urban parkland it could have been!

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

Ariel photo of dundalk 3.jpg

A Google Earth photo of Dundalk from a similar angle. How much it has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Im sure Larry wouldnt mind!

Interesting to see Barry Evans aka 40 coats in this selection! For those who wouldnt remember he was an austrailian chap living in a boot shaped home under the arches of the old louth hospital, and walked the town with his every possession in a crazy prices shopping trolly

Not a personal interest of mine but showbands of that era around town, some familiar faces here and there.

Just one little correction.
    Barry Evans was not known as 40 coats. as he was many years behind that gent. Wee Georgie forty-coats was way back in the 50's.

• Advertisement

Agree with you there TL but Wee Georgie was way before my time, the only reason I know anything about him is because of the Mural type thing in Byrnes Pub and also there is a little pamphlet recently published on him. Barry Evan was also known as 40 coats by the kids in the locality, it was in reference to the character 40 coats in the childrens TV show on RTE. One time he took ill and was taken to the Louth, it took an age to get the layers of clothing off and get him ermm .... in a fit state to get him into a ward. The hospital got him sorted with new clothes and the photos in his latter days he was in a suit and looking very dapper!

Agree with you there TL but Wee Georgie was way before my time, the only reason I know anything about him is because of the Mural type thing in Byrnes Pub and also there is a little pamphlet recently published on him. Barry Evan was also known as 40 coats by the kids in the locality, it was in reference to the character 40 coats in the childrens TV show on RTE. One time he took ill and was taken to the Louth, it took an age to get the layers of clothing off and get him ermm .... in a fit state to get him into a ward. The hospital got him sorted with new clothes and the photos in his latter days he was in a suit and looking very dapper!

Knew Barry well. He used to sleep in a big "locker" which he had on wheels at the front of the old hospital (now part of the Grammar School). He often cooked on a wee primus stove at the square. Poor man died in a field near Castleblaney on a very cold frosty night.

Knew Barry well. He used to sleep in a big "locker" which he had on wheels at the front of the old hospital (now part of the Grammar School). He often cooked on a wee primus stove at the square. Poor man died in a field near Castleblaney on a very cold frosty night.

Am i wrong in thinking there was foul play involved? Or was it just a consideration at the time. On particularly cold nights he was let in to the council's caretakers room in the Old Louth. The time he was taken to hospital i think may have been to do with burning himself while cooking in/heating his 'boot', after he had electricity to his home that went 'unseen' by council staff. I wasnt an age in double figures round those times so memory is vague!

Am i wrong in thinking there was foul play involved? Or was it just a consideration at the time. On particularly cold nights he was let in to the council's caretakers room in the Old Louth. The time he was taken to hospital i think may have been to do with burning himself while cooking in/heating his 'boot', after he had electricity to his home that went 'unseen' by council staff. I wasnt an age in double figures round those times so memory is vague!

No foul play involved. All sudden deaths are reported to the Garda and the Coroner for investigation unless his doctor certified that death was expected.

Advertisement