Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSA Certification Required for Web Cameras?

Options
  • 01-08-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi All,

I'm considering starting a very small business selling IP Web Cameras on-line and offering remote set-up services to users who buy them (those firewall rules can be tricky on UPC routers haha!). I'd even consider calling out to their house/apartment to help them for a small fee...

I'm definitely not advertising it as CCTV (but I do plan on advertising the benefits of having them) and only expect to make minimal income from it.

Do I need to go as far as getting PSA a license? I called PSA but got transferred around different departments.

I just don't want to proceed if what I'm doing is 'not allowed' without the correct license? I also don't want to proceed if the cost of the license would mean my small business would make a loss.. Does anyone know how much they are for sole traders?

Thanks very much for you help! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Selling them is fine. Call out & installing them is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sgealbhain

KoolKid wrote: »
    Selling them is fine. Call out & installing them is not.

Thanks for the info! What if I just deliver the camera and the customer calls me to help them set it up remotely? Ie, I can talk them through it or log onto their broadband router remotely and set up NAT rules for video stream to pass through. That's more IT than CCTV?

Are the 'cans' and 'cants' written down anywhere?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are loads of what ifs in all the legislation. The same was with intruder. This was an argument with intruder as well. A lot is open to interpretation. But it remains you will not be allowed advertise for work you are not licenced to do and whether or not you are paid is no longer an out.
    More down to the definition of a CCTV system really.

KoolKid wrote: »
    More down to the definition of a CCTV system really.

I wonder is it CCTV though? Selling and setting up IP Cameras for homes could serve multiple purposes (keeping an eye on the kids, pets, etc). Not necessarily for the sole purpose of security..

There are companies in the USA and UK who supply IP Cameras to Irish consumers and offer to set them up (remotely) for a fee.. I wonder do they have PSA licenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Simple way around it :

Write a little program that emulates the IPcam ( port it uses, IP address, get it to stream a little bit of video )

Your customer then runs this on their computer while you set up their router remotely.

When you can "see" the output of your little program at your own "office" - your bit is done - shut down the program and log out

Customer then just has to reboot the router and plug in their little IPcam

( router reboot - to clear ARP n stuff )

A few remote access setups allow your own branding eg :

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/customdesign.aspx

This should turn it into a bit of IT fun

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    Simple way around it :

Yes I use LogMeIn which is pretty much the same type of thing. The question is really whether or not that falls under the category of licensable work? I spoke to someone at PSA and they seem to think it does...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

gctest50 wrote: »
    Simple way around it :

Write a little program that emulates the IPcam ( port it uses, IP address, get it to stream a little bit of video )

Your customer then runs this on their computer while you set up their router remotely.

When you can "see" the output of your little program at your own "office" - your bit is done - shut down the program and log out

Customer then just has to reboot the router and plug in their little IPcam

( router reboot - to clear ARP n stuff )

A few remote access setups allow your own branding eg :

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/customdesign.aspx

I live to be able to remotely log in from work on PC to see my house .. Is this possible with mobile broadband always on? At a reasonable price ..!? ( pm if suits)

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Long thread on it here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056082016

Lads with cameras to keep an eye on calving - some over 3g

Advertisement