Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion - Poor Earthing!!

Options
  • 01-08-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Had to adjust the temperature on a new immersion that I got fitted about 2yrs ago. I'm not at all happy with the way this yoke is earthed but it looks like its the only way unless unless there is a nut or something missing.

The earth wire is wrapped in a round loop and the cap screw with the nut on is guided through this (hopefully) as you cant see much as you lower the cap in place over the thermostat.

Also the earth loop tail is not far away from the other live or neg posts.

ImmeersionMainLabel_zps5ba7994a.jpg

ImmersionCapInside_zpsfb4f477b.jpg

ImmersionCapoff1_zps54995e42.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭mikerodgers96

there's a couple of washers and nut missing

cord grip not fixed

may have been a second-hand one they threw in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

cord grip not fixed

may have been a second-hand one they threw in

Yeah cord grip crap and and only one screw in it. Can fix that.

Should they have stripped out a longer piece of earth wire and then this is secured between two nuts with washers before fitting that cap back on at all, is that how it works, would make more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The little brass nut on the outside should open and allow you to remove the cover - leaving the long bolt in place sticking up from the immersion itself

The little brass nut has probably seized onto the bolt.

gctest50 wrote: »
    The little brass nut on the outside should open and allow you to remove the cover - leaving the long bolt in place sticking up from the immersion itself

The little brass nut has probably seized onto the bolt.

aw got it now, thanks lads:)

Is it possible to get a new cap and the fittings, earth connection/cord grip from an electrical wholesaler.

Is a plastic cap better/safer than metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

Make sure the copper pipes entering and leaving the cylinder are earthed/bonded with 10sq earth aswell, very important. Maybe it is done but if you are worried about earthing thats the important one, this will earth the whole cylinder aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 mikeoneil1000

Philip82 wrote: »
    Make sure the copper pipes entering and leaving the cylinder are earthed/bonded with 10sq earth aswell, very important. Maybe it is done but if you are worried about earthing thats the important one, this will earth the whole cylinder aswell.

main bonding is important but it's purpose is not to earth the immersion heater

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

main bonding is important but it's purpose is not to earth the immersion heater[/QUOTE.
    Correct Mike. Although I never said it was. I suggested if the OP was worried about his earthing he should check to see if the pipes are bonded aswell.

Not worried about the general house earthing, pipes are well earthed and everything else is up to standard.

Could anyone tell me what size and thread the bolt is in the cap pls. Is it metric, BSP 3.5mm etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement