Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any advice appreciated-GAMSAT 2014

• 01-08-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Ok so I am currently working in the financial industry over in London however have been thinking this isn't for me.. I studied a finance degree and masters in UCD up until a couple of years But spent the 7 years throughout that and part of my school time working in a well know Dublin hospital as a theatre attendant and endoscopy hand (delightful job)!!

I have always had an interest in medicine and am now seriously considering going back to try the GAMSATs and a complete change of career.
    What I am asking for is any advice in whether people think this is possible? Anybody from a similar previous background have any advice with this (success/failure stories)? I am really looking for any advice that can be offered and would be very much appreciative of this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Ok so I am currently working in the financial industry over in London however have been thinking this isn't for me.. I studied a finance degree and masters in UCD up until a couple of years But spent the 7 years throughout that and part of my school time working in a well know Dublin hospital as a theatre attendant and endoscopy hand (delightful job)!!

I have always had an interest in medicine and am now seriously considering going back to try the GAMSATs and a complete change of career.
    What I am asking for is any advice in whether people think this is possible? Anybody from a similar previous background have any advice with this (success/failure stories)? I am really looking for any advice that can be offered and would be very much appreciative of this.

Thanks

It's possible. Register now for GAMSAT UK in September and find out for real. Don't put it off, don't think you can't do it, don't think it's too soon. Just do it now.

http://www.gamsat-ie.org/

It will focus you, give you a real check as to whether this is for you, and invaluable practice for doing it again next March, if you need.

http://www.gamsat-ie.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Agnieszka_88

Thanks

It's definitely possible, there are quite a few people with backgrounds in finance/accounting/audit etc. who take the GAMSAT and go to medschool. It's a big decision and not an easy one, especially considering the huge debt you will end up with (if you manage to get a loan). Inform yourself thoroughly (lots of useful information on these forums, but it will take you some time to comb through it, you should probably start with the GAMSAT 2013 thread). Check out other options and make sure that it's definitely something you want, because it won't be easy (but worth it, or so I've heard).

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Confused1987

Ha I was literally just reading your posts on other threads, some seriously good advice and I really appreciate the above!

If you don't mind I will pick your mind abut more, I come from a zero science background and that is the one thing that worries me. I am no Stephen Hawking but have something between the ears so just want to know if I decide this is for me is it possible with some evening study and then 2-3 months full time study? I know I am gonna leave the industry I am in but am trying to assess when I should do this.

Thanks again for the response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

If its something you really want to do then go for it.

You can sit as many GAMSATs as you want so at least attempt one to see how it goes.

Try the London exam without studying for the science section, and if you can get a score in the high 40's or maybe even better there is no reason that you can't get a good enough score another time if you study for it properly.

Your GAMSAT score will depend on what you have between the ears and how well you can handle pressure, which is what makes it so good. You don't have to be Einstein to do well in it but you would definitely have to be pretty naturally bright.

Ha I was literally just reading your posts on other threads, some seriously good advice and I really appreciate the above!

If you don't mind I will pick your mind abut more, I come from a zero science background and that is the one thing that worries me. I am no Stephen Hawking but have something between the ears so just want to know if I decide this is for me is it possible with some evening study and then 2-3 months full time study? I know I am gonna leave the industry I am in but am trying to assess when I should do this.

Did you mean me?? :o

I do have a science background so it's probably hard for me to advise you.

Tell you what, can you lay out here exactly where you're coming from in terms of science/maths background, writing background and so on and where you think you are strong and weak and maybe people can chime in.

But, my #1 advice remains: register now for GAMSAT UK, stop thinking about it. This is totally doable, but only if you do it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 face_plant

I've just accepted a place at UCD, and am also leaving a job in financial services in London to go back to study. I, like you, didn't have a science background - the last time I studied biology or chemistry before picking up the books to study for the GAMSAT was age 16 (10 years ago). I still somehow managed to do well in the science portion, so it's definitely possible.

I would say it depends mostly on how motivated you are to learn and how interested you are in the material. I'm fairly inherently interested in science stuff, despite not having studied it, so that helped. I also think the GAMSAT is quite a unique exam in that knowledge of facts is less important than being able to interpret information and apply it to the question.

I'd echo pc11 and suggest registering for the exam in the UK, and to pick up the books as soon as you can, especially past questions.

Oh wow, ok so you are definitely the man to talk to!

Yeah well I am the same, havent looked at science properly since my junior cert but do have an interest in it. I would definitely say my strong point is English and to a lesser extent maths. I always enjoyed English in school and have a good grasp of it!

Having worked in a hospital for so long I was always really interested and eager to see the procedures and listen to any diagnosis and was fortunate enough to have a front row seat to this (I was usually the one holding the leg in the air!!), however never actually went for it, so to speak.

I dont think motivation would be an issue, I have spent long enough thinking about it and if I am gonna go for it I will be quitting my job and giving it my full attention.

Can I ask roughly how long you were studying for it and if this was part of full time?

Thanks again for all the advice lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 face_plant

Oh wow, ok so you are definitely the man to talk to!

Yeah well I am the same, havent looked at science properly since my junior cert but do have an interest in it. I would definitely say my strong point is English and to a lesser extent maths. I always enjoyed English in school and have a good grasp of it!

Having worked in a hospital for so long I was always really interested and eager to see the procedures and listen to any diagnosis and was fortunate enough to have a front row seat to this (I was usually the one holding the leg in the air!!), however never actually went for it, so to speak.

I dont think motivation would be an issue, I have spent long enough thinking about it and if I am gonna go for it I will be quitting my job and giving it my full attention.

Can I ask roughly how long you were studying for it and if this was part of full time?

Thanks again for all the advice lads!

Hah, very similarly, I felt english was my strong point. I write a lot of reports in my job so really didn't spend much time on sections 1 or 2, other than doing section 1 practice questions.

I think I probably spent roughly 2 months studying for it, evenings and weekends. I definitely wasn't as diligent as I could have been, though as the exam loomed my study sessions did get a lot more disciplined. To be honest, I didn't think I'd do well at all, and expected to have to sit it again in the UK this year before potentially having another bash at it in Ireland next year.

I wouldn't necessarily advise quitting your job to study, the exam really is tough and that would have been too much of a gamble for me. I'm still working now, so I'll only have a couple of weeks off (hah! moving country means I'll hardly be able to kick back and relax!) before term starts! Until the result came out I had no clue how I'd done. I didn't find it like most exams where you at least have some idea of whether it went well or not.

Ok thats brilliant thanks.

Think I will just try crack on for the next few months, given there is no miracle in September, and maybe a couple of months before the exam leave my job. Very determined to get into medicine so dont mind taking the risk and leaving the job, want to get out of the financial industry regardless.

As a matter of interest, I will be 26 when I hopefully start it, anyone here of similar age or older follow the same path, and if so, how are you finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 r.galway

I'd advise staying working and studying in the evenings! If you do get medicine, you will definitely need the money! Give the GAMSAT a lash in Sept, if you don't get it then dedicate more time for March. It is a tough exam but it's not impossible and certainly won't need to consume 40+ hours a week

• Advertisement

r.galway wrote: »
    I'd advise staying working and studying in the evenings! If you do get medicine, you will definitely need the money! Give the GAMSAT a lash in Sept, if you don't get it then dedicate more time for March. It is a tough exam but it's not impossible and certainly won't need to consume 40+ hours a week

Spot on.

GAMSAT is not easy, but don't over-estimate it either. Definitely don't be quitting a job for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭bluemagpie

I wouldn't recommend quitting your job at all just to sit GAMSAT. If you are really that determined then put in a bit of study at the weekends and the odd evening you should be fine. See the UK 2013 GAMSAT as a practice and then the Irish one as your goal, if that doesn't come off either then sit the UK one the following year again.

Age wise you'll be fairly average, plenty older than you. If you want it go for it but no point burning bridges or turning away money that you may need once you're a poor student.

Ok fair enough, don't quit the job seems to be the overriding opinion. I suppose evenings and weekends for 4-5 months leading up to it should be enough and maybe a week off before? Would rather sacrafice a bit of money to give the exam the best shot.

Anyone selling any second hand books? I know there is forums for this, just chancing my arm here!

Again thanks for all the advice above, was unsure about this whole thing before as to how do-able it is but sure gonna give it a good whack!

Ok fair enough, don't quit the job seems to be the overriding opinion. I suppose evenings and weekends for 4-5 months leading up to it should be enough and maybe a week off before? Would rather sacrafice a bit of money to give the exam the best shot.

Anyone selling any second hand books? I know there is forums for this, just chancing my arm here!

Again thanks for all the advice above, was unsure about this whole thing before as to how do-able it is but sure gonna give it a good whack!

Forget 4-5 months wondering. Find out in 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 flower_dance

I didn't come from a science background either but I did every practice question I could get my hands on. I also got Examkrakers 101 MCAT verbal reasoning and organic chemistry for dummies (both 2nd hand on amazon). I listened to loads of TED.com talks and practiced writing essays every weekend. I spent about 3 months (very on and off) studying and I worked full time at the same time. I took about three days off before the test and did nothing the night before so I wasn't stressed out. I think one of the most important things is work out your timing for the questions and stick to it so you reach the end of the test.
    I started in GEM last year. There are people from all backgrounds in my class. The first year was tough going especially the biochem but the colleges know that not everyone has a primary science degree so there were plenty of tutorials going if you didn't get something.
    I'm just about to start 2nd year now and I don't regret a second of it. If there is anything specifically I can help with re gamsat or the course..let me know. Happy to help and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cmac28

Get organic chemistry demystified - i only discovered it in my library about 3 weeks before the test and wish i had have seen it sooner! You can pick it up dirt cheap too!!!

Cheers for the advice lads!

Last question I have for you all.... When it comes to finally knuckling down to the study, is there any particular method or approach people used? This is coming from someone with no science background. Is it just a matter of jumping straight into the practice questions and learning as I go or would you recommend leaving them until I spend a couple of months brushing up on all of the science subjects and then cracking into it? Wanna get a good idea of the most efficient method to get as much practice in over the space of say 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

I don't come from a science background. I used the 'for dummies' series to get up to speed on science and the khan academy videos. Then for the last month I did every science question I could get my hands on. I kept the acer ones until last and did proper timed test runs, these timed tests were the best thing I did because it gave me a good indicator of the time pressure you're under in the exam. It really helps you stay calm during the exam when you've done it a few times at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Babs_1208

Yep I'm with nomoreexams - I hadn't done science since the junior cert, had a business degree and worked in HR for a bank. Did the UK exam last September so 100% sign up for it now and do it - best thing you can do! I'd more or less given up on the idea then I sat the exam in London and got 54 so went back in March. I used the Letts a-level books, gradmed notes were the business then bucketfuls of practice questions. English was always my best subject back in the day so S1 & S2 were my saving grace.

I'm turning 28 this week so you're by no means an oldie!!

PM me if you want cos I still have the books/notes I used if you want them :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Cheers for the advice lads!

Last question I have for you all.... When it comes to finally knuckling down to the study, is there any particular method or approach people used? This is coming from someone with no science background. Is it just a matter of jumping straight into the practice questions and learning as I go or would you recommend leaving them until I spend a couple of months brushing up on all of the science subjects and then cracking into it? Wanna get a good idea of the most efficient method to get as much practice in over the space of say 6 months?

If you are coming from as much as a non-science background as I am, I think it would be a waste of time doing practice GAMSAT papers to start off with. However, I would strongly recommend doing Section I style questions from the start. I've only recently started doing Section III questions/papers and found that the techniques I've developed in answering Section I questions (such as skim reading, forcing fast elimination of answer options, etc.) are actually very helpful for Section III. There's tonnes of Section I-style MCAT questions out there to get you started. Have you registered for September? Actually, normal registration for GAMSAT UK is now closed (as of midnight last night)... starting to feeling real now.

There's now a number of GAMSAT 2014 threads on here and the conversation is all over the place. Now that the 2013 crowd are graduating into actual medical students, could we have the threads merged or have a dedicated GAMSAT 2014 thread like previous years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭okdune

Hi everyone,

Same as most of you, no science background and have decided it's do or die for me on the GEM front. I'm accountant who stupidly stopped studying for Gamsat to take a finance job and alas so many years later I'm back at square one and now know its the only thing i really want. I'm 32, so I've decided it's Gamsat 2014, or else draw a line through it.

Though the prospect of covering so much before then is daunting, it's not half as daunting as picturing myself looking at excel for the next thirty years. To be honest, I'm pretty keen to get stuck in now.

Having given it serious thought and read up more on the whole financing and loan side of things, I'm now a but frightened by the potential reality of undertaking GEM (I do know I have to get there first though!).

But could I ask those of you currently undertaking GEM and those seriously planning to do so - how do you manage?!

I don't have kids or at the moment a relationship where I could lean on another. In one sense that's great no dependants, now is the time, but on the other side, I am just wondering the level of savings, financial prep and perhaps part time work people have to do to live an get by?

I admire people who just go after it, and I am typically one of those, but I would be grateful if you could share how you plan to or do manage. I really don't want money to stop me, age, though not too extreme is not on my side as it is!

Thank you so much in advance. Isn't it great to have a nice anonymous forum for these types of questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭okdune

Apologies for all the typos, typing on a little iPhone!

Thanks.

riversrock wrote: »
    snip!

Jeez, could you not spam this board please? That's 6 copies of the same advert I think. There's a clearly marked place for advertising.

Mods, can you move/delete please?

Did anyone here use the GAMSAT Guru course ? Any opinions on this? Decided during the week I am defo doing this, going to leave my job in November and crack on with it full time so at least if unfortunately it doesn't go according to plan I can put the idea to bed in my mind and know I have given it my best shot and move on, but hopefully this wont be the case. I think if I stayed in finance one of these days there may be major delays on the tube line!!!

Trying to compile a good broad spectrum of notes and practice questions and would love to know what people found useful/useless?

Thanks again guys!

Did anyone here use the GAMSAT Guru course ? Any opinions on this? Decided during the week I am defo doing this, going to leave my job in November and crack on with it full time so at least if unfortunately it doesn't go according to plan I can put the idea to bed in my mind and know I have given it my best shot and move on, but hopefully this wont be the case. I think if I stayed in finance one of these days there may be major delays on the tube line!!!

Trying to compile a good broad spectrum of notes and practice questions and would love to know what people found useful/useless?

Thanks again guys!

You have six months prepare for it, why would you take the risk and leave the job? I say start now (saving and studying). Posted in the other 2014 tread about what resources I've been using, have a look there. Read through the other treads too. Why do you feel a prep course is necessary?

Sorry I meant has anyone used the GAMSAT guru method/notes?

Thanks, I will have a look through the other forums now.

letsdothis wrote: »
    You have six months prepare for it, why would you take the risk and leave the job? I say start now (saving and studying). Posted in the other 2014 tread about what resources I've been using, have a look there. Read through the other treads too. Why do you feel a prep course is necessary?

Exactly, I completely agree, he will need the savings, and I am also dubious of expensive prep courses.

I'm like a broken record now, but please people, just register for UK GAMSAT and do it now.

pc11 wrote: »
    Exactly, I completely agree, he will need the savings, and I am also dubious of expensive prep courses.

I'm like a broken record now, but please people, just register for UK GAMSAT and do it now.

You're gonna have to save this advice 'til next year. Late reg is closed for September!

You're gonna have to save this advice 'til next year. Late reg is closed for September!

Thanks, I knew it was soon alright. I'll shut up now.

• Advertisement

pc11 wrote: »
    Thanks, I knew it was soon alright. I'll shut up now.

Hopefully a few of us on here will come back and join your chorus next summer...

I understand completely about the money and saving for this, but to be honest I will be leaving the job I am in regardless and would much prefer to give it 100% of my attention for 4 months or so and hopefully try secure a spot for next September as opposed to having to possibly re-sit in September. I understand entirely that to some people this may seem ludicrous, just dont wanna waste any more time!!

Anyone else sitting it in 2014 based around the Dublin area?

I understand completely about the money and saving for this, but to be honest I will be leaving the job I am in regardless and would much prefer to give it 100% of my attention for 4 months or so and hopefully try secure a spot for next September as opposed to having to possibly re-sit in September. I understand entirely that to some people this may seem ludicrous, just dont wanna waste any more time!!

Anyone else sitting it in 2014 based around the Dublin area?

I'm just jealous that you can leave work so far in advance :p

I'm just jealous that you can leave work so far in advance :p

Haha, well I think it will be a matter of taking four months off work and then finding something, hopefully back in the hospital to tide me over and praying very hard!

How are you feeling about the impending exam? Can I ask what notes, books etc you have gone for?

I will set up a thread for the 2013/2014 sitters over the weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lawlesp4

Hey I've been keeping up to date with any useful information regarding GAMSAT on this forum and what I've found is that a lot of people come from non-science backgrounds and their advice regarding Section 3 preparation is extremely helpful but so far I'm struggling to source advice for Section 1 and 2 preparation. I come from a strong science background but I know I have a lot review prior to the exam but I find the prep for the first two sections is more vague, is their anyone out their who sat GAMSAT successfully coming from a science background who can give me a brief guide to studying for sections 1 and 2? I would really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shivika

Hi,
    for section 2 (essays), you need to have a good vocabulary and also a good sense of building situations and framing them up in good words. Two essays are given which you need to complete in an hour so practicing under time constraints will help you strengthen your efficiency of writing well framed essays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 hazelbarrett

Hey guys, I´ve been reading the thread and theres some good advice here. I´m in the same boat as a lot of people. I have no science background, not even leaving certificate. I plan to sit the GAMSAT in Ireland in 2015. I`m travelling at the minute and won`t be able to start my preparation until about June 2014. Can anyone recommend any short term beginner science courses or tutoring in the Dublin area? Or what have others in my situation done in the past? Has anyone did the GAMSAT preparation courses, are they worth while or just a money racket?

Any advice would be really appreciated,
    thanks everyone :):D:o

Hey guys, I´ve been reading the thread and theres some good advice here. I´m in the same boat as a lot of people. I have no science background, not even leaving certificate. I plan to sit the GAMSAT in Ireland in 2015. I`m travelling at the minute and won`t be able to start my preparation until about June 2014. Can anyone recommend any short term beginner science courses or tutoring in the Dublin area? Or what have others in my situation done in the past? Has anyone did the GAMSAT preparation courses, are they worth while or just a money racket?

Any advice would be really appreciated,
    thanks everyone :):D:o

I was in the same position - only a bad junior cert science behind me. The most difficult thing about GAMSAT is knowing where to start and how high a level to pitch you study. It's only when you get around to doing a full GAMSAT sample science paper do you realise this for sure! Most of the science requirement is fairly basic and I managed to cover it in about 3 months from scratch. I would advise you to get a start on basic science now if you can - even if it's just a couple of hours a week to start off. Also, you should be aiming to sit the UK GAMSAT in Sept 2014. Best case you will you will get the result you need then, worst case it will be a trail run for March 2015.

Start with a leaving cert text and work through that - either Chemistry or Physics. Research online for necessary topics to cover and skip the stuff in those books that's not relevant. In physical chemistry, the most important stuff for GAMSAT are properties of phases of chemicals, bonding, acids & bases, redox, colligative properties and thermodynamics, etc. A good bit of the Chemistry LC course is experiments - you can skip all that. Where you go beyond LC material is up to you but get the basics covered first.

For this slow reintro to science, use online resources such as Khan Academy. If you have trouble understanding any concepts or need to immerse yourself in a topic through a medium other than a text book, KA is great for that too.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056957075 Made this post on my whole experience with the GAMSAT. Hopefully it'll be of some use. :)

Hey Somalion, which did you pick in the end RCSI or UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

Hey Somalion, which did you pick in the end RCSI or UCD?

Well I'm in 4th year of my current degree so have nothing set in stone yet however I'm almost positive that it'll be UCD for me next year :)

• Advertisement

Good decision :D

Did you go to the GEM open evening in UCD last night? It was very good, good insight into the entire course etc.

I have been looking into the Gradmed courses in January, has anyone here enrolled or sat this course before? I am hearing very mixed reviews and for the price I want to be sure that it will be worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pharmacrunch

Did you go to the GEM open evening in UCD last night? It was very good, good insight into the entire course etc.

Missed the UCD open night as I had to work :( Was gutted, I was really hoping to make it there to get a feel for the course!

Its a shame they have it on so early on in the year, I would have thought they would have one after March-ish before the CAO final deadline is met.

I'm sure if you rang the admissions office they'd get someone to show you around and give you some info.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lawlesp4

Hey Everyone,

I have been studying on/off for the last 3 months for GAMSAT 2014 in Dublin and I am just starting to really crack down in my study and I was just wondering if there were any people interested in setting up a relatively small study group in the coming weeks? I just graduated from DCU with a 2.1 in Analytical Science so I am pretty familiar with chemistry/biology and have done physics and maths in first year. I hope to set up a diverse group so that we can contribute to different aspects of the exam based on our degrees/strengths.

Phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

The best advice anyone can give you is a reality check.

If you think you want to work in the hospital eventually, don't bother doing gradmed unless you are willing to emigrate. The hospital training schemes are black holes. You will most likely never make consultancy staying in this country. Your will to live will also be decimated if you do start a training scheme here, as evidenced daily in the hospitals. Poor SHOs,Regs,SPRs who are at their wit's end with the system.

If you are late twenties or have kids starting the degree, then I probably wouldn't bother doing it either.

If you want to do GP or psych then lash ahead, you won't have to emigrate, but how much money you will make from GP in the future is very questionable. The 6 figure salaries are a thing of the past I'd guess. The system will become more like the UK in a few years, businessmen in charge of primary care centres employing GPs for 50k a year and being on your case if you spend longer than 8 minutes with a patient.

The ideals I had of medicine were eroded slowly over the past four years. There is no glamour, or even respect working as a doctor in this country. You are a paper pusher and nothing more. It's been a financial black hole too over this period. You will most likely never repay the loan working in this country.

If I knew what I knew now, I'm not 100% sure I would have pursued gradmed. There are easier ways of making a living.

If you pursue gradmed in spite of the warnings, the next best piece of advice anyone can offer is to do your USMLE and do residency in the US.

Any interest in setting up that study group in the near future if it has not already been done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

The best advice anyone can give you is a reality check.

If you are late twenties or have kids starting the degree, then I probably wouldn't bother doing it either.

Reasons for this??
    If I knew what I knew now, I'm not 100% sure I would have pursued gradmed. There are easier ways of making a living. .

For some people (like myself) its not about 'making a living' its about wanting to be a doctor for all the other reasons than money. If you take a job for the 'lifestyle' you think it will afford you, its a cert you wont be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

For some people (like myself) its not about 'making a living' its about wanting to be a doctor for all the other reasons than money. If you take a job for the 'lifestyle' you think it will afford you, its a cert you wont be happy.

This is fatally naive. Please try and gain a more realistic understanding of the job before doing medicine. You're overestimating the daily satisfaction of medicine and underestimating the importance of financial and social stability. You may love it as many do, and I hope you do, but your post suggests you're going into it ignorant of the realities. I mean, you put the word lifestyle in inverted commas. Come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Reasons for this??

I think that almost everyone in my class started off like you - idealistic, with dreams of 'saving the world', and thinking they were going to be cardiothoracic surgeons and that life would be just as exciting as the life of Meredith Grey et al.

Unfortunately the reality is a little different. Medicine is just a job. 50 % of any class goes on to become GPs, probably because they can't hack the insanity of the hospital and try to escape asap. If you stay in Ireland to do hospital medicine or surgery, expect to forgo a life for the best part of a decade with no promise of a pot at the end of the rainbow, or even a consultancy post.

You might think now that medicine is a higher calling.

You most likely won't think this at the end of your degree, or the end of your intern.

You most likely won't think this when you are close to 100k in debt and are looking at an intern contract of 30k per year.

Or you may be like the thousands of other people before you who believe that medicine is a calling but that working in the hospital in Ireland just isn't feasible to having any sort of quality of life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement