Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any advice appreciated-GAMSAT 2014

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

I think that almost everyone in my class started off like you - idealistic, with dreams of 'saving the world', and thinking they were going to be cardiothoracic surgeons and that life would be just as exciting as the life of Meredith Grey et al.

Unfortunately the reality is a little different. Medicine is just a job. 50 % of any class goes on to become GPs, probably because they can't hack the insanity of the hospital and try to escape asap. If you stay in Ireland to do hospital medicine or surgery, expect to forgo a life for the best part of a decade with no promise of a pot at the end of the rainbow, or even a consultancy post.

You might think now that medicine is a higher calling.

You most likely won't think this at the end of your degree, or the end of your intern.

You most likely won't think this when you are close to 100k in debt and are looking at an intern contract of 30k per year.

Or you may be like the thousands of other people before you who believe that medicine is a calling but that working in the hospital in Ireland just isn't feasible to having any sort of quality of life.

@irishskyboxer, hope you dont mind me asking, where did you go to med school?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Junoon

hi guys ,

i am very disappointed with my march 2014 results ...feeling a lot negative at the moment.

becoming a doctor is my ultimate aim but the GAMSAT didn't work out me earlier also.

This was my my second attempt at it.

First I wrote GAMSAT was back in march 2012.

The scores on two occasions were

March 2012 Dublin 54,54,44

March 2014 Dublin 53,38,48

What you guys think? should i repeat ?

will be happy to receive your thoughts...

This time i am really sad because of my sec 2 scores....i never thought that it will go down like this ...

i need serious improvements in that area and this time the topic was too general which made it worse for my chances

thanks in advance guys and congrats for those got it thru this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Junoon wrote: »
    hi guys ,

i am very disappointed with my march 2014 results ...feeling a lot negative at the moment.

becoming a doctor is my ultimate aim but the GAMSAT didn't work out me earlier also.

This was my my second attempt at it.

First I wrote GAMSAT was back in march 2012.

The scores on two occasions were

March 2012 Dublin 54,54,44

March 2014 Dublin 53,38,48

What you guys think? should i repeat ?

will be happy to receive your thoughts...

This time i am really sad because of my sec 2 scores....i never thought that it will go down like this ...

i need serious improvements in that area and this time the topic was too general which made it worse for my chances

thanks in advance guys and congrats for those got it thru this time

Hi Junoon,

Do the UK one in September. You only need AC Grayling Meaning of things + watch the news to excel in section 2. In addition, write two essays everyday from now till September. Attempt to write them in 50 mins.

If you have the time I'd recommend Oxford book of essays by John Gross. If you'd like to go even further, read the Enquirer by William Godwin(freely available online). Above all it's the writing of 2 timed essays everyday that will help you improve.

Edit
    Obviously you have to plan your essays. Your style of writing matters too. I think it's better to argue in both parts A & B, this is where thesis/anti-thesis/synthesis comes into play. Many in this forum have expounded on this writing style.

Advertisement