Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duplicate Certificate.

Options
  • 01-08-2013 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

A week ago I received my gun certificates, all good so far. Today I received one of them again. Exactly the same, date, number the whole lot.

However the QR code is different on each letter, corresponding to the 16 digit number printed above my name and address on the letter,

Anyone else experience this? And if so, did you send one back, or talk to the Firearms officer about it?

How can a computer system generate two Certificates with the same Firearms certificate number, but with a completely different QR code, and not catch the mistake?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Are you referring to the grant letters or the actual letter with the license attached?

I've gotten duplicate licenses before and never paid much attention to them. As long as the firearm, name, address and other details are the same and i'm covered it doesn't bother me.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Actual letter with the licence attached. Probably best to stick the spare in the gunsafe and say nothing. Makes you wonder about the system of tracking licence holders etc.

Probably best to stick the spare in the gunsafe and say nothing.
    Exactly.
    Makes you wonder about the system of tracking licence holders etc.
    Back in February i was changing guns and my FO rang as there were some issues with my records. After we went through it he discovered i was still down on guns i haven't owned in years, and in one particular instance my mate (who bought a gun i owned), another lad i don';t know, and myself were all licensed o the same gun at the same time. The problem? I was licensed on a CZ, my mate on a BRNO, and the other lad a CZ BRNO. So even though all the other details were identical (serial number, caliber, model, etc) this difference in name was enough to generate new licenses as though they were separate guns. So technically there were three guns.

Got it all sorted and now i'm only licensed for what i have. I don't blame my FO. He does his job perfectly. I think it's the PULSE system itself. I won't pretend to understand every specific detail, but there is obviously a flaw somewhere if a computer system cannot pick up such similarities and at least alert the person entering the details to a possible problem.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Was in the gun shop in Navan yesterday, and the man there told me that he had an audit by the Gardaí in January. They told him that they were going to start with the oldest guns first, and proceeded to inquire about guns which they believed to be in stock for over 10 years! His records are all on computer and he was able to provide all details about those long sold guns. they were all done in an hour, and the guard , when leaving, mentioned that the last dealer they inspected, they were with him for 3 days!

The Dept. of Agriculture has a much more powerful computer than the Gardai, obviously!
    Try registering a calf twice and see where it gets you!

I'd say we don't know the half of it. That's why i have patience when dealing with Gardaí and firearms. If it's a chore for us to do it whenever we are changing or buying guns what's it like for them doing it all week, every week?

Maybe you're right about the DoA. Get them to run the firearms system for while. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I subbed my shotgun 4 months ago and I got a new sub cert and a normal cert both with different cert numbers for the same gun both in the post the same day.

While I applied for the sub the Supers secretary rang me saying that I was licence for the new gun with 14 months and if I was using another gun I was doing so illegally and could go to jail for it.. :rolleyes:

I told her that was strange that I was coincidently licensed on the new gun I was collecting and it would be best cancelling my app so since it was already licenced.. It clicked with her what she was saying and she realised how stupid she sounded.

amazing how things can get messed up

Cass wrote: »
    I'd say we don't know the half of it. That's why i have patience when dealing with Gardaí and firearms. If it's a chore for us to do it whenever we are changing or buying guns what's it like for them doing it all week, every week?

Maybe you're right about the DoA. Get them to run the firearms system for while. :D

well you can electronically chip a sheep for about a euro, and scan it to retrieve all ownership details with a handheld reader and then enter changes of ownership into the database. The Dept.Ag scares me a lot more than the Gardai, tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Same happened here for the second time, duplicates of two shotgun licenses.

One rifle license was issued with a expiry date which had already gone past, same expiry date as as the previous one.:confused:

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

The other two arrived yesterday, so have a full set of spares.

third full set of licences arrived today.

• Advertisement

Buy two more guns with the same serial number. :D

I wouldn't worry. As said above i've gotten multiple licenses for the same gun before. Once the date, details, etc. are all correct i just store the spares away. Handy too if you loose one.

Advertisement