Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetable Marrow

• 01-08-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on when to harvest vegetable marrows?

Iv searched online and as most people harvest them as courgettes I havent been able to figure out when the correct time is to pick them as fully developed marrows.

Cheers!

SP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Let them grow to the size you want and if you want to store them over Winter, let them ripen a bit on the plant. You get a tougher skin that way. I usually allow a few to get big towards the end of the season, so from the beginning of September onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Cool!

I want to make marrow jam, so I have a few big fruits at the moment. But iv no idea when the best time to pick them is!!!

Do they change colour or anything when they are ripe?

Cheers!

SP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

They stay the same colour but the skin gets thicker and tougher. They then get hard to peel and you'd have to scoop the flesh out and you also have more seeds. If they are the right size for you and you don't want to store them over winter, pick them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Thanks for your advice yellowlabrador!

I'm working away from home at the moment and been away all week, came home today and had a wander around the garden, and this is what greeted me ...
    266346.jpg
    All of the set fruit are a lot bigger since the rain in the last few days. I have 7 or 8 fruits 9 or 10 inches long, plus some smaller ones coming in from 6 plants!

Happy out, think I may make the jam over the weekend!

Thanks again!

Advertisement