Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Law Degree v Law Degree

• 01-08-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi I am currently doing an llb in Irish law and was wondering;

(i) What are the disadvantages vis a vis a regular law degree?
    (ii) International companies who have 'law degree' as a requirement for a job, are they unlikely to consider someone with an Irish law degree?
    (iii) Is there any course which could be taken to make up for whatever it is that an 'Irish law degree' lacks to bring it up to full law degree standard?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

to99 wrote: »
    Hi I am currently doing an llb in Irish law and was wondering;

(i) What are the disadvantages vis a vis a regular law degree?
    (ii) International companies who have 'law degree' as a requirement for a job, are they unlikely to consider someone with an Irish law degree?
    (iii) Is there any course which could be taken to make up for whatever it is that an 'Irish law degree' lacks to bring it up to full law degree standard?

Thanks.
    Very interesting. Would you tell us some more about this generic "full" law degree that is not linked to the law of any particular jurisdiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I assume you are very new, probably at the point of not started yet?

One of the first topics you'll cover is the Common Law system, which most English speaking countries use. Exceptions being Scotland, South Africa. In addition one US state and parts of Canada.

The degree is then tied to a particular jurisdiction, be it Ireland, England and Wales, New Zealand or where ever. Irish Law degrees convert relatively easily to the US and England. Finding work is a different story and very competitive. No offense intended but even a degree from Trinity or UCD is not going to see the international recognition Cambridge or Harvard.

That said a 2.1 from even GCD/Indo Colleges will get you onto a masters programme or in to the Kings Inns or Blackhall. (Barrister or Solicitor training respectively.)

My advice is wait until you start study, it all becomes clearer quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Out of interest why do GCD/ Independent call theirs an "Irish Law" degree?

A brief google says they follow a similar curriculum to the conventional law undergraduate degrees, including EU law and common law, which LowKeyReturn referred to.

Is it a google hit strategy or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

For GCD it's actually a Nottingham Trent degree so I presume they call it that to distinguish it from their Law Degrees in other jurisdictions. Indo is another English University as is DBS (UWE) IIRC.

I'm tempted to confuse the OP with the LLB, BCL distinction and the tendency for certain people not to disabuse perspective English employers who don;t do their research properly but I think that practice has had it's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭to99

Thanks for all the replies. *embarrassed*

• Advertisement
Advertisement