Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Into BTEA from Fás course question - any help appreciated

Options
  • 01-08-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I'm in a situation here where I'm starting college in September but am also currently on a Fás course.

The Fás course ends in week 2 of Sept and college starts the week after.

I have the necessary qualifying period for the BTEA but the local Social Welfare office says I can't apply for it until after the Fás course ends.

Was told I will have to hand in a fresh JA claim together with the BTEA application. This will leave me with no income at all until this is processed which I reckon would be 6-8 weeks for both applications to go through.

Has anyone ever been in this situation or have any info. on the subject?

Also will I definitely get the BTEA straight off a Fás course?

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

gman127 wrote: »
    I'm in a situation here where I'm starting college in September but am also currently on a Fás course.

The Fás course ends in week 2 of Sept and college starts the week after.

I have the necessary qualifying period for the BTEA but the local Social Welfare office says I can't apply for it until after the Fás course ends.

Was told I will have to hand in a fresh JA claim together with the BTEA application. This will leave me with no income at all until this is processed which I reckon would be 6-8 weeks for both applications to go through.

Has anyone ever been in this situation or have any info. on the subject?

Also will I definitely get the BTEA straight off a Fás course?

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

When you finish the fas course apply for JSA and BTEA at the same time

Then immediately goto your community welfare officer and apply for supplemtary welfare until your JSA gets approved

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

i was gonna do a fas course that would of ran into middle of sept so asked social welfare what would happen if i do it. if i could leave it early for btea they said no prob once i get a letter from fas saying there ok with u leaving early. and u can go straight from fas to btea then. so ask em first

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

Hi gman,

Can't see why this is an issue for the Welfare Office, the info is all detailed here :- http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/353_Back-to-Education-Allowance.aspx

If you look under the the paragraph titled "Satisfying the qualifying period" it clearly states that time spent on FAS courses counts towards the qualifying period and that
    You may go directly from one of the above schemes to Back to Education Allowance provided you were getting one of the qualifying social welfare payments listed above immediately before or after you started the scheme. If there is a break of more than 4 weeks between leaving the Scheme and starting an approved course of study you must establish an entitlement to a qualifying social welfare payment to qualify for BTEA.

Seeing as there is only a week between finishing your FAS course and starting your College course, they should be able to process your claim for BTEA straight away. Might be no harm to show them this info printed out etc., some staff aren't aware of all the minor details. Best of luck.

Advertisement