Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

error - local access only

Options
  • 01-08-2013 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi, I have an Acer Vista laptop and until recently no problems with the WLAN but in the last few weeks the WLAN will not connect to the Modem. The computer is telling me that the connection is there and when I try to load anything I am getting the message that I only have local access only.
    After I turned off security on Modem and use it as 'open' I realise that the laptop will work normally and as there is no setting on the laptop to enable WPA2-PSK I am wondering what I am doing wrong with the Modem and what setting to have it on as I have no problems connecting in public wifi or with cable and as this had been working fine until a few weeks ago I am presuming that the fault is with IP address and security settings

Hugh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You don't have a modem you have a wifi router.

Windows update may have installed a dodgy driver, reinstall manually off the manufacturers website.

I assume you are connecting to the router via cable since your wifi is broken, go back again and set WPA2. There is no setting on the client (your pc), only on the router. It should just work assuming you have the right driver. Test also with another device like a smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hughowen

Yeah I meant router . Do you mean reinstall the wireless card from the Acer site if so I have done reinstall but not from Acer. I have no problems with any other device inc other laptop windows 8 I Pad or phones or Playstation its just the Acer Vista machine .
    It seems to me that the problem is the
    security setting on laptop will not match router wpa-pk2 security setting. Keys are all correct. And it will work without security as openwifi I will reinstall the card from Acer and let you know.
    Thanks for your help
    Hugh
    srsly78 wrote: »
    You don't have a modem you have a wifi router.

Windows update may have installed a dodgy driver, reinstall manually off the manufacturers website.

I assume you are connecting to the router via cable since your wifi is broken, go back again and set WPA2. There is no setting on the client (your pc), only on the router. It should just work assuming you have the right driver. Test also with another device like a smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Oh yeah... you have to remove the old settings.

What version of windows do you have? Do you use the "built-in" windows wifi software, or one from manufacturer? This would be the program that shows the list of wifi networks in range and lets you click connect. Somewhere there is list of saved settings, you have to find your network and delete it. Then when you connect again it will prompt you for the password and should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

First thing I always do with router problems is power cycle the router.

Switch off PC (not really necessary but I do it anyway)
    Switch off/unplug router from the mains.
    Leave it for 10 or 15 minutes, go away and make a cup of tea.

Plug it back in and wait for 5 minutes.
    Power on PC and 9 times out of 10 the problem has rectified itself!

Routers can misbehave from time to time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hughowen

Thanks for the help Guys, I have done all the things suggested and nothing worked. So what I have done is gone back to an old Router that was working 3 or 4 years ago with just a wep security and everything is working fine now with the Vista. It seems that it may be the Eircom Zyxel Router that is conflicting with my laptop and stopping it from connecting somehow.
    Just hope now that the old NETOPIA 3347 does not cause any bother

Thanks again Hugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

I was working on a Vista machine recently which would only allow local access. Very long story short...this worked:

Toggled Network Discovery off/on a number of times

Advertisement