Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need a H Dip to be a supply teacher in secondary

• 01-08-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have a BBS and German from UL and 16 years industry experience and want to do a h dip to teach second level/business schools. I need to have teaching experience to get a H Dip and someone told me I can do supply work without a H Dip. Can anyone confirm this? I am based 2
    5 mins from Limerick city in Killaloe. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MollFlanders

You need to be registered with the teaching council to get paid for subbing work anymore as far as I know. (In order to be registered you need a HDip.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Short answer no

Teaching experience is not a requirement see below

"Any exposure to preliminary teaching/learning experiences (this doesn’t mean teaching, it means shadowing or observation) or school exposure experiences would be helpful to any candidate who wishes to dedicate him/herself to a professional life as a teacher. There is no requirement or expectation that an unqualified applicant would have undertaken direct teaching duties of any kind. No points at application assessment or interview are awarded for undertaking direct teaching duties in any school."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You need to be registered with the teaching council to get paid for subbing work anymore as far as I know. (In order to be registered you need a HDip.)

Not necessarily. You can register as a teacher of further education without one, for example. Many teaching vocational courses in the VEC's are registered under this category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

I cant actually answer your question but advise you to think long and hard about investing time and money in training as a German teacher. I am one and the numbers of students taking German are low and falling. Some schools are dropping it as a subject as they can no longer afford to run minority subjects. I have gotten most of my work with French over the years and even that has been short term and year to year. Just make sure you can afford to live on little if you are not in a position to move around the country when and if a position crops up and it really is a 'bad' subject employment-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

You need to be registered with the Teaching Council to be paid from DES funds.

Up until April this year you could register for the VEC sector only with just a degree and no dip, but not anymore.

Registration requirements for the Further Education sector are more variable but those registering since April this year are supposed to have the dip or an approved qualification in Further Ed, according to Regulation 5 of the TC Regulations.

So I don't think it would be possible for you to register now so you wouldn't get paid.

• Advertisement

Completely agree with vamos! German has been phased out in my school and replaced with the far more popular Spanish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Completely agree with vamos! German has been phased out in my school and replaced with the far more popular Spanish!

Same in my school. Spanish is the new 'in' language.

Pang wrote: »
    Same in my school. Spanish is the new 'in' language.

I made the wring choice. I actually speak Spanish but am not accredited to teach it. All those years learning German now seem to be a waste of time. Thank God French is still in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

vamos! wrote: »
    I made the wring choice. I actually speak Spanish but am not accredited to teach it. All those years learning German now seem to be a waste of time. Thank God French is still in.

Would you think about doing the HDA in Spanish, then? There might be one starting next month. (I wrote about the HDA here)

Seanchai wrote: »
    Would you think about doing the HDA in Spanish, then? There might be one starting next month. (I wrote about the HDA here)

Thanks Seanchai, excellent advice. I am not actually going to invest any more of my own money in upskilling in teaching. I am going to work this year and see how things fare next August. If I have nothing solid this time next year I will be upskilling in a different field and leaving teaching. I will have given my 20's to making a go of teaching. That's long enough for me to try and try every summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

You need to be registered with the Teaching Council to be paid from DES funds.

Up until April this year you could register for the VEC sector only with just a degree and no dip, but not anymore.

Registration requirements for the Further Education sector are more variable but those registering since April this year are supposed to have the dip or an approved qualification in Further Ed, according to Regulation 5 of the TC Regulations.

So I don't think it would be possible for you to register now so you wouldn't get paid.
    Phew! I got in just in the nick of time so. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Phew! I got in just in the nick of time so. :)

A VEC/Ed centre has to sign off on it though - you can't just register - or that was the way I registered years ago (prior to my dip). Did you register yet?

A VEC/Ed centre has to sign off on it though - you can't just register - or that was the way I registered years ago (prior to my dip). Did you register yet?

I assume they did register if they're relieved to have got in in the nick of time since the change was implemented from April 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I assume they did register if they're relieved to have got in in the nick of time since the change was implemented from April 2013.

Yeah I suppose your correct Miss Lockhart :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

An astute observation!
    I registered last year. AFAIK you still can teach in the County Dub VEC without being a member of the Teaching Council , at least you don't need to be registered where I teach, but I decided to register anyway as I am sure that will change soon.

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    An astute observation!
    I registered last year. AFAIK you still can teach in the County Dub VEC without being a member of the Teaching Council , at least you don't need to be registered where I teach, but I decided to register anyway as I am sure that will change soon.

Yes, November is when you will no longer be paid from DES funds unless TC registered. Some VECs seem to have already implemented it though.

Advertisement