Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VTOS Leaving Cert subject choices

• 01-08-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I am heading back to complete the points leaving cert in Spetember having previously completed the LCA and a FETAC Lvl. 5 course. I decided on a change of direction with regards to my chosen field hence the leaving cert. The problem is I am trying to decide where to do it, there is a large centre around 35 minutes away from me, there is some decent subject choices, then there is a centre much closer to me, around 10 minutes, but they don't have as wide a range of subjects to choose from, just 6 I think.

Here is the subject list from the centre that is further away:
    English
    Business
    Economics
    Maths
    Geography
    Biology
    Accounting
    Irish
    History

Leaving Certificate students also have the opportunity to gain FETAC and other qualifications in:

Computing
    Bookkeeping (FETAC Level 5)
    Payroll (FETAC Level 5)

And from the one that is nearer:
    English
    Mathematics
    History
    Business
    Geography
    Art
    Agricultural Science

Just to add that I will be applying for third level and I will most likely be going into the area of I.T. Any help with this even from those that have sat the LC traditionally would be much appreciated, I suppose what this comes down to is subject choice, but does it really matter what I pick?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Bump, anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I am heading back to complete the points leaving cert in Spetember having previously completed the LCA and a FETAC Lvl. 5 course. I decided on a change of direction with regards to my chosen field hence the leaving cert. The problem is I am trying to decide where to do it, there is a large centre around 35 minutes away from me, there is some decent subject choices, then there is a centre much closer to me, around 10 minutes, but they don't have as wide a range of subjects to choose from, just 6 I think.

Here is the subject list from the centre that is further away:
    English
    Business
    Economics
    Maths
    Geography
    Biology
    Accounting
    Irish
    History

Leaving Certificate students also have the opportunity to gain FETAC and other qualifications in:

Computing
    Bookkeeping (FETAC Level 5)
    Payroll (FETAC Level 5)

And from the one that is nearer:
    English
    Mathematics
    History
    Business
    Geography
    Art
    Agricultural Science

Just to add that I will be applying for third level and I will most likely be going into the area of I.T. Any help with this even from those that have sat the LC traditionally would be much appreciated, I suppose what this comes down to is subject choice, but does it really matter what I pick?

Without looking at either list , which 6 subjects would you like to do? either center is not too far away so just pick the center by which subjects you want.
    I don't see any of those subjects as particularly helpful for I.T , well maths and maybe business or economics or both if you were interested in them :) but i would just check if the I.T course you want to do as any subject requirements first and then just pick what you think you could do best in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'd say maths would be pretty essential but it's offered in both.

Do you need Irish for the college you're going to, as it's not offered in the one nearer (very possibly not for an IT course, but check).

Would a Level 6 FETAC course focusing on IT be a better route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I'd say maths would be pretty essential but it's offered in both.

Do you need Irish for the college you're going to, as it's not offered in the one nearer (very possibly not for an IT course, but check).

Would a Level 6 FETAC course focusing on IT be a better route?

I wouldn't be able to get into a FETAC Lvl 6 in IT as my Lvl 5 was in a completely different field. I would have to do a Lvl 5 again, the. a level 6 and then a level 8, my plan is to get a degree and then emigrate atleast for a while so I don't want to be waiting around. I think I'm going to go for the one that's a bit further away, do maths, English and Irish, biology, business and history. And also do the cert in computing that they offer along with the Leaving Cert course.

Advertisement