Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Looking for 1st smartphone, need a recommendation, thanks

• 01-08-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I'm on the lookout for a smartphone & thought of the Sony phone, but noticed its sold out (only online), but then i saw the Samsung phone for E20 more, does anyone have any of the phones to show which one is better?

Also Tesco are doin (my network) are doin a promotion which ends on 4th Aug get €10 credit & get €20 off a phone

• Features - camera, gps, FM radio, Stereo Bluetooth)
    • Form factor - i.e. touchscreen,
    • Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE
    • Operator - Tesco
    • Pre-pay - Yes
    • Price range - E60-E100
    I was put off by some of the reviews on Carphone Warehouse on the Sony phone as the Samsung looks better?

But the Samsung fared worse on Techradar here: compared to the sony

So some advice would be great on deciding on which one & hope that's enough info as i cant think of anymore now.

Here are the links below:

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=113 - Samsung Galaxy Ace
    http://shop.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=142 - Sony Xperia Tipo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Get something decent, I know if you move to Vodafone you can get the Samsung ace for 40 blips.it's the s5389

Also I'd rate the ace as a much better phone, also experienced less issues with them vs the tipo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Product/strong-Sony-strongXperia-E-Black/238783/1_3
    Get something decent, I know if you move to Vodafone you can get the Samsung ace for 40 blips.it's the s5389

Also I'd rate the ace as a much better phone, also experienced less issues with them vs the tipo

Yeah, i got the feeling it was a better phone with the Samsung Ace, with a flash with the camera & the 5MP v 3.5 & a much better CPU, but less RAM 158MB v 512MB?

I got a booklet in Carphone Warehouse with all the details on the phones, & the girl told me there's more expandable memory with the Ace 4GB instead of the 2GB & then told me the Sony Xperia E would be a better phone! Sadly it's not on the network & nothing short of unlocking it would probably help it, but i fear that's a topic for a different forum altogether ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need to spend at least €150 to get something worth having, anything lower will just drive you nuts and a blockia is a way better choice.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Product/strong-Sony-strongXperia-E-Black/238783/1_3

Yeah, i got the feeling it was a better phone with the Samsung Ace, with a flash with the camera & the 5MP v 3.5 & a much better CPU, but less RAM 158MB v 512MB?

I got a booklet in Carphone Warehouse with all the details on the phones, & the girl told me there's more expandable memory with the Ace 4GB instead of the 2GB & then told me the Sony Xperia E would be a better phone! Sadly it's not on the network & nothing short of unlocking it would probably help it, but i fear that's a topic for a different forum altogether ;)

Is still take Ace over any budget Sony phone. Besides the Z , I don't rate Xperia phones, they don't seem as reliable as you'd hope. Ace is old, but it's also tried and tested.

Also ace is 278 ram from what I've seen. Even with the advantage the E has, it still feels slower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

All these budget androids are rubbish.

My father in law has the Ace it's a slow laggy pos.

You're better off with a budget Nokia WP8 like the lumia 620.

• Advertisement

Just noticed as well HTC wildfire s meteor 50 blips, might be SIM free too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭HeadPig

Can you stop saying blips please? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Old slow phone for 50 yoyo's. Better spending a bit more and getting a good phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Apparently the WP8 phones are less resource intensive than the Androids. The Lumia 520 is probably the cheapest on the market (around €120) and it looks like a pretty decent phone for the price.

Advertisement