Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon and An Post delivery to wrong address

• 01-08-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭

So, I ordered a number of items from amazon. Tracking says delivered however no items. Then Amazon ring me to say that they have a woman on the line who has my parcel. basically, an post delivered to the wrong address in the town, she now has it and amazon wondering would I call over tomorrow and pick it up off her.
    Now, I appreciate the sentiment but
    a) I am not going to a different part of town to a strangers house to pick up something, who knows who you'd meet ( I am not familiar with that part of town or the address)
    b) what if the package is opened/damaged, who is liable as an post will claim they delivered it sealed and my contract would be with the lady?
    c) where is an post in this. who signed for it, what happened to it etc

Any one have experience in this? I am not too happy because what if it was an expensive item, or if its damaged or if I had to go looking for it. Will an post let me waiting a few days until they get around to redelivering??

P.S. addresses were very much different, number of house was different and only the 1st letter of our addresses are the same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

TheDriver wrote: »
    So, I ordered a number of items from amazon. Tracking says delivered however no items. Then Amazon ring me to say that they have a woman on the line who has my parcel. basically, an post delivered to the wrong address in the town, she now has it and amazon wondering would I call over tomorrow and pick it up off her.
    Now, I appreciate the sentiment but
    a) I am not going to a different part of town to a strangers house to pick up something, who knows who you'd meet ( I am not familiar with that part of town or the address)
    b) what if the package is opened/damaged, who is liable as an post will claim they delivered it sealed and my contract would be with the lady?
    c) where is an post in this. who signed for it, what happened to it etc

Any one have experience in this? I am not too happy because what if it was an expensive item, or if its damaged or if I had to go looking for it. Will an post let me waiting a few days until they get around to redelivering??

You tell amazon that you have not received the goods and let them chase up with an post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You tell amazon that you have not received the goods and let them chase up with an post.

that's what I did which I am happy with in hindsight as opposed to calling over to someone at their house. not impressed with amazon or an post

that's what I did which I am happy with in hindsight as opposed to calling over to someone at their house. not impressed with amazon or an post
    An post has really gone to the dogs lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Get onto an post .. google the customer services number and ask them for a number for your local delivery office . Ring them ask to speak to the dsm . Explain the situation . Mistakes are made . They will rectify it . If they can't get it back or item is broke etc. they will ask for a receipt to issue a refund to you .

Supraman wrote: »
    Get onto an post .. google the customer services number and ask them for a number for your local delivery office . Ring them ask to speak to the dsm . Explain the situation . Mistakes are made . They will rectify it . If they can't get it back or item is broke etc. they will ask for a receipt to issue a refund to you .
    The op has no contract with an post, They can't legally do anything or even discuss the delivery. Amazon will have to do all this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

An post has really gone to the dogs lately.
    I find quite the opposite. Email notification, ability to change delivery address, real time tracking, superior address knowledge just to name a few reasons.
    Supraman wrote: »
    The op has no contract with an post - they cannot deal with him. Contract is with amazon and amazon have dealt with it.

No use blaming anybody without more info - what was address on package? Mistake may be in amazon warehouse. But sure its Ireland, lets blame An Post - !!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

I work in an post . I know op has no legal contract . They might be interested in sorting this out quick of their own accord rather than waiting on Amazon to do something . I didn't blame an post by the way . It might have been a bad delivery address etc. which I'm sure could be found out very quick .

I will keep an open mind on it. Only thing I would say is that my address and that of the wrong delivery are fairly different. This coupled with sign for on delivery would be some factors for consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Fair balls to the woman who received the parcel on contacting the right channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Fair balls to the woman who received the parcel on contacting the right channels.

wouldn't you image the woman shouldn't have accepted the package - as OP says the name and address on package are significantly different from the delivered address, why didn't she just refuse to accept it.

• Advertisement

unless, as I have experienced in the past, the package is left at the doorstep and she came home to it sitting there.
    I haven't heard anything yet, either from amazon or an post (even though I emailed them). will wait until 4 and ring then to give them a chance to sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

if you want the package just pick it up from the woman who has it; i'd give a good guess that if she was good natured enough to call amazon and get this sorted she isn't going to lure you to her house and give you a nice basement bedroom for a couple of years.

You can then follow up with amazon and see what they say or will do to make you a happy customer.

If the package was opened / damaged etc .. i'm sure the type of woman who would go to the trouble of calling amazon wouldn't open someone else's package or damage it .. also if it was damaged on delivery I am sure she will have no problem saying this to amazon should you need to lodge a claim.

Mistakes happen, but things can be resolved easily should those involved decide to work together to solve the problem rather than looking at everything black and white and just sticking to principles.

I am sure that Amazon would have no problem sending out a new package and arranging to get the other package back from the lady in question; however; this would possibly take another week or so ...

wouldn't you image the woman shouldn't have accepted the package - as OP says the name and address on package are significantly different from the delivered address, why didn't she just refuse to accept it.

We don't have the details of this (for all we know it could have arrived on her doorstep with delivery signature forged) but what we do know is that when she realized it wasn't hers or one of her family's she contacted the correct channels which is a decent and correct thing to do. Anybody who would go out of their way to do this for a wrongly delivered/or accepted package wouldn't have taken it in on purpose.

whippet wrote: »
    if you want the package just pick it up from the woman who has it; i'd give a good guess that if she was good natured enough to call amazon and get this sorted she isn't going to lure you to her house and give you a nice basement bedroom for a couple of years.

You can then follow up with amazon and see what they say or will do to make you a happy customer.

If the package was opened / damaged etc .. i'm sure the type of woman who would go to the trouble of calling amazon wouldn't open someone else's package or damage it .. also if it was damaged on delivery I am sure she will have no problem saying this to amazon should you need to lodge a claim.

Mistakes happen, but things can be resolved easily should those involved decide to work together to solve the problem rather than looking at everything black and white and just sticking to principles.

I am sure that Amazon would have no problem sending out a new package and arranging to get the other package back from the lady in question; however; this would possibly take another week or so ...

I don't deny mistakes can happen and I have no problem with all that however I don't have the time to go around another part of town that I don't know finding an address of a house etc. And I am sure she is lovely and honourable and fair play to her for ringing amazon [It does raise the question however that if she took in the box, never rang yet an post say its delivered, would it lead to a right battle when I say I never received it as postman will say it was delivered??]. Anyways, I would disagree with take the package and then raise query because its always a lot more difficult to raise queries about damage etc if there are other people in the mix and the process of delivery has been interrupted.
    Now, to bring matters up to date, I popped home and no delivery message. So I rang amazon and they rang an post and surprise surprise an post know nothing about it, amazon guy never rang them yesterday or this morning and they are chasing it up now.

so to update, amazon have been great with communication in fairness. An post can't find anything wrong, postman swears black is blue he delivered it and some nice lady has been sitting inside in her house waiting for someone to call. Amazon also have no record of the call to me yesterday evening. So I then told her the address that I think it got delivered to (more or less because I can't remember it exactly) and suddenly its too late in the day and postman is gone. So I have been asked to go to the local sorting office on Tues (which is convenient for me to do so) and they will get the postman to call to each house matching that description to find it. So that's where we are at the moment, my package of stuff is sitting somewhere for the weekend.............
    Makes me wonder about track and trace.................

All you need to do is confirm to amazon that the package has not been delivered to you at your address and it is up to them to investigate and respond to you. If that means they resend the goods to you and claim off an post for the first item that the post office lost then that is what should happen. Contact them by email only as it creates a paper trail.

I would agree with you however my issue is that my account says it was delivered to me, an post says the same and only when I started saying it, it looks like I an doing fraud hence I will be contacting amazon in due course to ensure my account notes that.

I would agree with you however my issue is that my account says it was delivered to me, an post says the same and only when I started saying it, it looks like I an doing fraud hence I will be contacting amazon in due course to ensure my account notes that.
    Just tell amazon that you have not recieved it because as they already know it was delivered to the wrong address.
    Tell them you will initiate a chargeback for non delivery in 48hours if they don't sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AlwaysAmber

Tell them you will initiate a chargeback for non delivery in 48hours if they don't sort this out.

Of course if you that, Amazon won't ever deliver to you again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Of course if you that, Amazon won't ever deliver to you again.

Where did you hear that?

Why would they do that.

You may be getting adverts and amazon mixed up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Any update on this? Curious to see how it panned out....

funny you should ask! Well popped into sorting office today and they would look into it. Postman swears he delivered an amazon box to my address (which is correct, the week before!) and they think a possible address got a few boxes that Thurs so it might have been delivered to them. They will try to look for it TOMORROW! (Nice lady rang me about it).
    Amazon are due to ring me tomorrow so I am wondering what to do. I could say, feck it and amazon send me a replacement but what happens if 1st package turns up in meantime, is the pressure on me to return it, or at my expense etc?

Anyways, more updates tomorrow..................

is the pressure on me to return it, or at my expense etc?

No i wouldn't think so amazon will have measures in place to allow for stock loss like any business, if it gets to the stage where they've had to replace the goods they will likely have written off the other item. (whether or not they will chase up An Post for compensation is their issue I would be inclined to say they wont if it was a relatively cheap item)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Just tell them to send out a replacement. They'll probably expedite the shipping too. If the other one does make its way to you, Just ask one of their reps for a returns label and send it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

sandin wrote: »
    I find quite the opposite. Email notification, ability to change delivery address, real time tracking, superior address knowledge just to name a few reasons.

The op has no contract with an post - they cannot deal with him. Contract is with amazon and amazon have dealt with it.

No use blaming anybody without more info - what was address on package? Mistake may be in amazon warehouse. But sure its Ireland, lets blame An Post - !!

What part of the country is OP in.

I work for An Post, have done for 30+years.

I think the An Post service has improved hugely over the last 3 - 5 years. Mistakes where I work are frowned upon and staff are constantly reminded to be villi gent by DSM and W/L. The track and trace is very good system and Customer service agents are also very good. However mistakes do happen. A postman could have 50 Amazon pkts a day of various shapes and sizes and it is easy to pick up wrong item when some houses get multiple pkts each week.

Yes I agree also with you on the lets blame An Post . From what I see every day we do an excellent job. Better than most of the couriers.

It amazing how few people will phone customer service and compliment a post person for finding them with an address that bears no resemblance to where they actually live. Sure its their job!!!

well it suddenly arrived. Anyways, LeoB I have great time for An Post however they knew about this on Friday and only today did I get my parcel and it was An Posts fault. I don't mind mistakes been made however I do mind when they are slow to rectify them. But my main gripe is the box got delivered OPENED. Brother accepted delivery not knowing any better and someone has clearly opened the box and had a look. Now all the contents are there but I thought it was illegal for someone to open other people's post? An Post didn't even make an attempt to tape it back up.

Contact CS of An Post? Being honest with you, I would be afraid of the address being blacklisted and no parcel ever being delivered again with lots of "sorry we missed you" notices.

I will however be writing to amazon to note my annoyance.

Contact CS of An Post? Being honest with you, I would be afraid of the address being blacklisted and no parcel ever being delivered again with lots of "sorry we missed you" notices.

That's shocking, I certainly would be making a complaint directly to both An post and Amazon. Your purchase included a postage price which was paid to get that parcel from A to B without tampering.

it raised a question though, who opens a parcel that arrives to their door without first reading the label. And before anyone asks, my name and address were clear as crystal on the top, no mistaking it at all.

What also concerns me is that what if there were personal items in there that you don't want people knowing about etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

LeoB wrote: »
    I think the An Post service has improved hugely over the last 3 - 5 years....Customer service agents are also very good.

An Post has improved in some areas, yes, but the customer service agents you get on the phone are the pits, in my opinion. Have had cause to call them a few times over the last few weeks, and the majority are absolutely useless. The guys in the local sorting office are better, but you can no longer phone them - you have to talk to customer service agents who blatantly lie. On more than one occasion they've told me that the postman rang the bell, before even finding out my address. I've found one CSA who seems to know their job, but it's luck of the draw whether you get through to her or not.
    it raised a question though, who opens a parcel that arrives to their door without first reading the label. And before anyone asks, my name and address were clear as crystal on the top, no mistaking it at all.

Um, me :o I've twice opened letters for my neighbour that were accidentally delivered to me. One was her bank statement. It was only as I started to take it out of the envelope I noticed the bank logo, and that I don't have an account there. If I'm distracted and something's in my letter box, I just open it while walking, without examining the address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

well it suddenly arrived. Anyways, LeoB I have great time for An Post however they knew about this on Friday and only today did I get my parcel and it was An Posts fault. I don't mind mistakes been made however I do mind when they are slow to rectify them. But my main gripe is the box got delivered OPENED. Brother accepted delivery not knowing any better and someone has clearly opened the box and had a look. Now all the contents are there but I thought it was illegal for someone to open other people's post? An Post didn't even make an attempt to tape it back up.

I for one am glad you got your parcel as would any member of staff. Yes it was An Post fault, a mistake by delivery person. Yes it is illegal to open someone else's post but obviously The person who got the parcel opened it in error.
    The parcel should have been taped up/sealed before it was redelivered.

Blacklisted? Not a chance. If anything they would be more careful. An Post do not operate like this.
    elfy4eva wrote: »
    That's shocking, I certainly would be making a complaint directly to both An post and Amazon. Your purchase included a postage price which was paid to get that parcel from A to B without tampering.
    Tampering and opened in error are 2 very different things and unless you know the people involved delivering the parcel to suggest they tampered with it is a silly comment.

What also concerns me is that what if there were personal items in there that you don't want people knowing about etc etc.

I would say lots of households open parcels, packets and letters that come to their house without fully checking the name and address. That said I would not like my neighbour to get my post.

It would be very unfortunate if there were personal item's in it. However I would follow up your complaint to An Post. You are entitled to some answers.

Advertisement