Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon and An Post delivery to wrong address

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

LeoB, thanks for your reply and indeed I am sure it was a mistake opening my parcel but I do think An Post should have taped it up.

However, I contacted An Post on Fri at 4 (well, Amazon did on my behalf) and there was time for someone to try to find my parcel. Fair enough, maybe not but they had all day Tues and they didn't. You can understand my frustration when you are told "We will try to find it tomorrow" at 12 noon. I know they are busy but to the punter, I wouldn't have liked to be waiting impatiently on it none the less....
    I did email An Post CS about the track and trace and I was told to fill out a form.......not exactly inspiring confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thoie wrote: »
    An Post has improved in some areas, yes, but the customer service agents you get on the phone are the pits, in my opinion. Have had cause to call them a few times over the last few weeks, and the majority are absolutely useless. The guys in the local sorting office are better, but you can no longer phone them - you have to talk to customer service agents who blatantly lie. On more than one occasion they've told me that the postman rang the bell, before even finding out my address. I've found one CSA who seems to know their job, but it's luck of the draw whether you get through to her or not.

Believe me as a staff member the last thing you need is customer service number showing up on your phone. There are huge compliance issues here for An Post and targets to be reached. I would say if your not happy with who you get you ask for a manager

Thoie wrote: »
    Um, me :o I've twice opened letters for my neighbour that were accidentally delivered to me. One was her bank statement. It was only as I started to take it out of the envelope I noticed the bank logo, and that I don't have an account there. If I'm distracted and something's in my letter box, I just open it while walking, without examining the address.

Its a very easy mistake to make, even though you should not have got the letters in the first place. In rural Ireland where you can have 5 or 6 families along the same road or town land with the same name, Murphy, Browne, Doyle or whatever this happens, but I would say to anybody mention it to your postie, he might not know and be making a genuine mistake. I know of 1 road where there are 12 families with same name add in a few kids and a few grandchildren named after the grandfather or mother and it is a nightmare.

I know in Dublin region there are a number of Woodland parks, Seaview Parks ect. Then you have estates with places like Woodland Grove and Woodland Green and some companies use abbrievated address like 2 Woodland Gr so where does the postman go with this if he or she is unfamiliar with an area or covering holiday duties?

Unfortunately mistakes do happen and without knowing the postmans side, did he have multiple items where the parcel was misdelivered to? Quite possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

LeoB wrote: »
    Tampering and opened in error are 2 very different things .

Right you are. I need to brush up on my dictionary I should have said interference not tampering. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Its a very easy mistake to make, even though you should not have got the letters in the first place.

I don't blame the postman for those misdeliveries - they're just normal human error. I was just ashamed that I open letters without reading who they're for. I've received the wrong letter maybe 3 or 4 times in 6 years, which is a pretty low error rate. It's an apartment block with a bank of letter boxes, so slipping something into the wrong box is easily done. The easy fix is for me to just pop the (ideally) unopened letter back into the right box

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

At least your packet is back with you . There is the most bizarre reasons for mistaken deliveries on items that the general public would never believe if they were told .

At least the packet was returned .. not much consolation but better than filling out forms and waiting on compo .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭carrick79

Right so, to summarise. You ordered a package, it was delivered to the wrong address. The lady who accepted the delivery made herself known and reported it. BUT it was the other side of town. So you couldn't possibly go and get it yourself. You might have died. :cool:

So after a lot of rigmarole ie. phonecalls, chasing the package, who's to blame etc. etc. etc. the package arrives at your door. OPENED. And you weren't even there at the time, your brother had to accept delivery for you. Just how unlucky can one man be? I really feel your pain...

TheDriver wrote: »
    LeoB, thanks for your reply and indeed I am sure it was a mistake opening my parcel but I do think An Post should have taped it up.

However, I contacted An Post on Fri at 4 (well, Amazon did on my behalf) and there was time for someone to try to find my parcel. Fair enough, maybe not but they had all day Tues and they didn't. You can understand my frustration when you are told "We will try to find it tomorrow" at 12 noon. I know they are busy but to the punter, I wouldn't have liked to be waiting impatiently on it none the less....
    I did email An Post CS about the track and trace and I was told to fill out a form.......not exactly inspiring confidence.

I agree and it should have been resealed.
    elfy4eva wrote: »
    Right you are. I need to brush up on my dictionary I should have said interference not tampering. :(

To suggest either of these is quite insulting to An Post staff. If you have reason to suspect this is happening you should take it further by going to An Post I.B or Garda. It is a very serious offense and there is no excusing anyone who interferes or tampers or damages anyone's parcel or mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

To suggest either of these is quite insulting to An Post staff. If you have reason to suspect this is happening you should take it further by going to An Post I.B or Garda. It is a very serious offense and there is no excusing anyone who interferes or tampers or damages anyone's parcel or mail.

I was not suggesting interference on behalf of An post staff so no need to be touchy. The fact is his package was interfered with (possibly by accident) by (Possibly) whomever received his package mistakenly.

elfy4eva wrote: »
    I was not suggesting interference on behalf of An post staff so no need to be touchy. The fact is his package was interfered with (possibly by accident) by (Possibly) whomever received his package mistakenly.

The op stated it was opened by the person who received it (wrong person). I may have misunderstood your comment. As a person who works in An Post we all get tarred with same brush when things like this happen. No offense meant by my previous post-(excuse pun) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

How big is the town you live in?

If it happened to me I'd just find the time to go over to the other house and collect it from them. Rather than wasting time starting a thread about it and ringing An Post / Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

I worked for Amazon CS. You are entitled to refuse the order as the courier (in this case An Post) messed up. You can request an immediate replacement order or a refund, but a refund would only issue when the original order finally reaches the returns warehouse. Customers who kick up a total stink would sometimes also get free express delivery on the replacement order or gift voucher. Amazon aims to please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    How big is the town you live in?

If it happened to me I'd just find the time to go over to the other house and collect it from them. Rather than wasting time starting a thread about it and ringing An Post / Amazon.

Yes its a big town and as stated in this thread, the address was vague and I don't know the area well. ALso theres some dodgy areas in the town. Lastly, I assumed An Post and Amazon would have it sorted the next morning and not have to go ringing and go on for days.....

That's LeoB for all your input, never have a problem with An Post generally and its a tough job.

Lastly, I only speculated that the person who received the parcel opened it but in reality it could have been anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

TheDriver wrote: »
    Yes its a big town and as stated in this thread, the address was vague and I don't know the area well. ALso theres some dodgy areas in the town. Lastly, I assumed An Post and Amazon would have it sorted the next morning and not have to go ringing and go on for days.....

That's LeoB for all your input, never have a problem with An Post generally and its a tough job.

Lastly, I only speculated that the person who received the parcel opened it but in reality it could have been anyone??

I can't imagine the contents of the parcel were all too confidential coming from amazon, I regularly open parcels without reading the labels it's easily done.

The parcel has now been successfully delivered, and the contents are not damaged - I'd be sufficiently satisfied with that outcome, I just hope that the parcel baron wasn't traumatized when opening a cd with super saver delivery

Advertisement