Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 30: [An epically over-long ode to] Carnitas

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Awesome recipe, had these for dinner this evening and they went down a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Finally got round to making these today!

I got a 4.1Kg boned and rolled (and vaccuum packed) shoulder of pork from the Meat Factory Outlet in Ballymount. Cost all of €16.95 (or thereabouts.) It still had the rind on, but getting a good grip of it, and running a nice sharp knife between the rind and the meat while pulling the rind away from the meat does the trick VERY easily. Much easier to remove than you'd think. I cut it in half, half is frozen for run #2 of Sparks Pulled Pork soon, but I digress!

I cooked the meat in a slow cooker for ~4 hours. Didn't have Ancho chilli powder, so used 1 tsp hot chilli powder and 1 tsp cayenne pepper. I used around 2.5 teaspoons of the Chipotles in Adobo too. When it was cooked, I tore it up, then baked for around 15 minutes. Delicious meat. The guacamole, I added chilli to it too, and a chopped up red pepper, for a little kick separate from the limey zing and a nice colour contrast.

Delicious, will be coming back to this one again too! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I got around to this this week also.

I used extra hot chili powder, and a random green chili that was lying in the fridge. Delicious kick.

6pkHgx_thumb.jpg

That's my lunch meat sorted for the next week or so, thanks op :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

So managed to squeeze this recipe in this week. I'm sooo glad I did - and so is everyone here. I cooked a whole shoulder so loads of leftovers. Thanks OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Somehow I only managed to get around to this recipe tonight, after drooling over it for months. Kicking myself for having waited so long, its amazing. Lying on the couch now in a pork coma and planning 3 carnita based meals for tomorrow. Thanks Miss Flitworth, it's a winner!

• Advertisement
Advertisement