Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on where to live near Loughlinstown?

Options
  • 01-08-2013 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I will be moving to Dublin in September to start a job based in Loughlinstown, and I am a bit lost in terms of where to look for accommodation... I would like to get some opinions on what are the nicest or most convenient areas in the South County to live and commute to Loughlinstown. Anyone can help?

Thanks a lot!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Avoid Loughlinstown itself if you can, it's not very nice.

Killiney, Cabinteely, Glenageary, Dun Laoghaire, Cornelscourt & Shankill are all a short distance away and easily accesable by car, bus or bike / walk.

Cabinteely in particular is a very nice little area, I used to rent in Brennanstown Square.
    Tullyvale and The Ramparts are two big apt blocks in Cherrywood too, right beside the Luas but not that nice IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 If you don't have a car then Cabinteely is the best option because it's connected to Loughlinstown and Dublin city via the 145 bus which is very frequent, otherwise you have the other options mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Honest question - not knowing much about it other than the FAS centre, what's wrong with Loughlinstown itself? Is it just the streets with "Loughlinstown" in the name that are bad, or is it the general area?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Aard wrote: »
    Honest question - not knowing much about it other than the FAS centre, what's wrong with Loughlinstown itself? Is it just the streets with "Loughlinstown" in the name that are bad, or is it the general area?

the estates within this rough area: http://goo.gl/maps/MolyF are what I'd consider the less desirable areas of Loughlinstown. A lot of council houses etc, a lot of problems and vandalism, the buses are even pulled out every now and again.
    Not many serious issues that you'd hear about in the news etc but just generally unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

the estates within this rough area: http://goo.gl/maps/MolyF are what I'd consider the less desirable areas of Loughlinstown. A lot of council houses etc, a lot of problems and vandalism, the buses are even pulled out every now and again.
    Not many serious issues that you'd hear about in the news etc but just generally unpleasant.

My boyfriend lives in one of the council estates mentioned in that area. He has grown up there. I visit the area quite regularly and have never had any trouble. I leave my car parked outside my boyfriend's house overnight regularly and up the road when there isn't a space, never have had anything happen to it. The worst you'd encounter is a group of 13-15 year olds messing around on a saturday night. I'd also recommend Shankill, Cabinteely, Johnstown, and around Rochestown Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 arianna89

Thank you all for the advice, is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

gillapino wrote: »
    My boyfriend lives in one of the council estates mentioned in that area. He has grown up there. I visit the area quite regularly and have never had any trouble. I leave my car parked outside my boyfriend's house overnight regularly and up the road when there isn't a space, never have had anything happen to it. The worst you'd encounter is a group of 13-15 year olds messing around on a saturday night. I'd also recommend Shankill, Cabinteely, Johnstown, and around Rochestown Park.

I don't think there's anything really 'wrong' with Loughlinstown but if you could afford Cabinteely or Killiney ahead of it they're just 'nicer' areas- looks wise, transport, parks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

gillapino wrote: »

Typical with those estates if your from there, they are grand but to outsiders I'd advise againest then

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Shankill is fantastic, nice villagey atmosphere, tennis club, library etc. Literally on the edge of the country with great walking around about (Rathmichael Wood, Carraigcollogan, Ballychorus Leadmines etc). Not to mention Shanganagh Park. The sea as well. Great transport into city centre with Dart and very good bus service (the 145).

Can't recommend it enough.

Advertisement