Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping in or around the Mourne Mountains

Options
  • 01-08-2013 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Any one know a reasonable campsite close to the Mourne Mountains. Basic but clean is fine and preferably within walking distance of a local town or village.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

jkc28 wrote: »
    Any one know a reasonable campsite close to the Mourne Mountains. Basic but clean is fine and preferably within walking distance of a local town or village.

I'd appreciate the same info if possible. Hoping to head up in next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Only one I know of is Meelmore Lodge (http://www.meelmorelodge.com/). Very convenient for walking straight from the campsite, i.e. very close to the Trassey Track and the Mourne Way / Ulster Way, but it 's not really anywhere near a village or town.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

Have a look at tullymore forest I'm fairly sure there's a camp site there.its not too fair from newcastle co. Down

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

iopener wrote: »
    Have a look at tullymore forest I'm fairly sure there's a camp site there.its not too fair from newcastle co. Down
    It's called Tollymore Forest Park and, yes, there is a campsite there. It's about 5km from the place I mentioned. Also good for a base for walking once you navigate out of the maze of forest tracks :) The National Outdoor Centre is also based in the forest park, and they do a great range of outdoor courses as well as offering accommodation. It'd still be a fair old trek into Newcastle from there in the evening though I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

There's a park in rostrevor called kilbroney there's a campsite there, its not too far from the village 10 mins walk maximum, its the other end of the mourne way.there's a unofficial campsite about 10 km from rostevor on the mourne way at a place called yellow waters. But your a good bit from any towns or villages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement