Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just found an injured hedgehog moments ago

• 02-08-2013 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭

Was out for a run in Dundalk on the bypass and came across this little chap, looks like it was possibly attacked in the head, its left eye is closed, possibly missing and the spikes around the top of his head look irregular. He's frothing at the nostrils and his breathing is strained. :(

Anything I can do to make it more comfortable until the morning, if it lasts that long?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Well done for taking him in, his breathing looks very bad though so don't be surprised if he doesn't make it through the night. Just keep him someplace warm and dark (but not stuffy) to help ease stress is about all you can do, and if he does make it then contact the vet in the morning (though if it were me I would ring the vet tonight, but there would be an out of hours fee)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Don't make me feel bad about not ringing the vet :/

It's out in the shed now covered in a blanket, with water, boiled egg and some fish meat for dogs. It's not cold out at all so here's hoping til morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Fair play to you OP, you are doing the best you can. The little feller might make it till the morning. Best you can do 'which you did do' is to keep the feller warm and comfortable.

I wonder if a vet at this hour would be willing to do a good deed for the feller and at least drop out and administer some pain relief formula free of charge ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

ohh, poor little thing, it does not sound well at all. Hope it survives. No idea about hedgehogs and how to help them but found this which might give you some answers.

http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/hedgehog.html

Thanks, read through it already, hence the eggs and meat. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hey OP,
    Pllleeeaaase, if the little thing is still alive in the morning, get in touch with Bev, a vet nurse who runs the Hogsprickle, Ireland's only dedicated Hedgehog rescue:
    http://thehogsprickle.weebly.com/
    Bev is affiliated with the site linked to above, Irish Wildlife Matters (Irish Wildlife Rehabiltators).
    Bev will tell you what to do, and if necessary make arrangements to get the little hoggie from you so that it's in expert hands.
    Well done for taking the wee thing in.. it's all too easy to just keep on going. Well done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,320 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd say nature will take its course. Won't happen on the side of a road or in the jaws of a fox though. Well done you.

DBB wrote: »
    Hey OP,
    Pllleeeaaase, if the little thing is still alive in the morning, get in touch with Bev, a vet nurse who runs the Hogsprickle, Ireland's only dedicated Hedgehog rescue:
    http://thehogsprickle.weebly.com/
    Bev is affiliated with the site linked to above, Irish Wildlife Matters (Irish Wildlife Rehabiltators).
    Bev will tell you what to do, and if necessary make arrangements to get the little hoggie from you so that it's in expert hands.
    Well done for taking the wee thing in.. it's all too easy to just keep on going. Well done :)

Thanks for that, will do. A woman actually stopped on the side of the road to adjust her car aerial, was looking over at me down on my hunkers in running gear.

I shouted over "dont suppose you want to rescue a hedgehog". She smiled awkwardly and said "it looks like a rat" and drove off! Had to run home for 20 minutes and drive back to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Don't make me feel bad about not ringing the vet :/!

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, you really did a great thing taking him in many others would just keep going, I'm just saying that the vet would be the best option just bad timing! These things always seem to happen out of hours!

Thanks for that, will do. A woman actually stopped on the side of the road to adjust her car aerial, was looking over at me down on my hunkers in running gear.

I shouted over "dont suppose you want to rescue a hedgehog". She smiled awkwardly and said "it looks like a rat" and drove off! Had to run home for 20 minutes and drive back to get it.

I can understand how you felt on that one, few years back I tried to rescue a cat who had been knocked down, I stopped traffic and got all sorts of abuse but I shouted back that I was trying to save a cat (unfortunately it had to be put down as it was so bad). Still don't regret doing it regardless of how much abuse was thrown at me or weird looks I got. Really got to me, not the abuse, but the fact that I could not save the poor little thing. Did not know the cat from adam but shed a few tears for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Oh the poor owl little thing : ( fair dues to you for stopping & giving it a chance : (
    The lady is probably regretting her rash speed away or is telling how she had a narrow escape from a fake hedgehog abduction scam! Poor little yoke at least has a chance now thanks to you :0

Let us know how it goes in the morning : ( at least it's not the bank holiday yet!!!!

Blue cross ? Might be also worth a try tomorrow? I understand the DSPCA also take in small flurries including birds, snakes & wildlife -I was only talking to them in St Anne's last week. Might be worth a call. Fingers crossed for this poor little yoke - no good deed ever goes unrewarded...

Well the little feller is in a good place right now, away from the wild for the time being so i hope s/he makes it through for the next few hours. Always loved hedgehogs.

The lady is probably regretting her rash speed away or is telling how she had a narrow escape from a fake hedgehog abduction scam! Poor little yoke at least has a chance now thanks to you :0

That's a nice thought but unfortunately I do not share you optimism on human kind, many unfortunately just do not care in the slightest about animals. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Fair play to ya OP. Its chances of survival have risen dramatically just by getting it out of the cold and if nothing else you've made an animals last few hours alot more comfortable and dignified.

Had a wee check on him there, still half under the blanket in a similar state, off to bed now, will update in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,320 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's over two hours since. He may surprise you! Hardy little buggers, hedgehogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Aww, poor little guy. :(

Good on you for taking him in; I really hope he makes it.

Well very much still alive this morning, still in the same bad state. Took him to the vet at 9am.

Sad new, being put to sleep. Was definitely attacked by something, there was a massive injury on the top of its head, the vet stuck a cotton bud in about 2 inches. :( The wound was crawling and was abscessed, it was likely like that for several days. His left eye was also badly injured.

Really sad, but delighted the pain is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Sad to read this OP, but you tried at least. They're so important in the ecosystem, and so under threat, that even trying to save one is well worth your while. Good on you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's horrible to think that the poor wee fella was in so much pain for so long. Really sad.
    Thanks op, you were so good to help him, at least he's not suffering any more.

• Advertisement

Ahh thats sad, poor little thing, at least it is not in any more pain. Fair play to you for helping him.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,111 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Fair play voodoo. You had the best interests at heart. No one can say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

Fair play to you for helping him, it's lovely to see someone with a bit of compassion and concern for animals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Kudos to you OP, that's good Karma.

Sad to hear the news, but I respect what you have done to help the little feller OP. I wish you well.

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Awww this is why I never read the departed pets thread :(, good job voodoo though you gave him a nice peaceful end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Well done OP. I have the highest respect for those willing to help an animal our of their pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

Fair play for doing the right thing. No animal deserves to die alone and in pain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement