Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pharmacy course

Options
  • 02-08-2013 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hi anyone there doing pharmacy or know the pharmacy course in and out?
    i am thinking of doing it in college but i am not quiet sure what will we be learning literally and how hard is it?
    i really need some advise.. please help .. thanks :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

If you want to get a secure job where you are accorded a professional's respect and where you can earn a salary commensurate with five years of university education and professional training...

...choose just about anything except Pharmacy.

If you have ambitions to own your own pharmacy...

..try to get a Centra or Mace franchise instead.

Sorry if this seems discouraging, but that's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cara Bean

Really .?.. most pipol that i encountered said pharm is great.. that it will secure a better job in the future... wat u tink bout biomedical science.. is it better than pharm??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moved thread, hope you find some answers. Some similar threads here for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Cara Bean wrote: »
    Really .?.. most pipol that i encountered said pharm is great.. that it will secure a better job in the future... wat u tink bout biomedical science.. is it better than pharm??

Biomedical Science / being a med lab scientist is also 5 years uni education and training (one course is 4 years) but is paid worse than pharmacy. With little potential for setting up your own community lab. Also the future of med lab science is not secure and the profession as it is must change. Pharmacy is more secure.
    But then I have always thought that doing something for money or "respect" attached to it is a bad idea....

Ask yourself why pharmacy? Why med lab? Why not medicine, nursing, radiography, paramedic, physiological technician, etc Chose whichever career appeals to you more. You'll be in it for a very long time hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

I'm going into 4th year this September - I really enjoy the course and my part-time job in a pharmacy but the whole experience has been tough (horribly so at times) thus far. It's hugely demanding and I'd have to agree with locum-motion.

Have a look at the course structures of each university and see if it would appeal to you - we've covered a very broad range of subjects from Anatomy to Medicinal Chemistry to Psychology etc. and all of the Pharmacy practice based modules. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Thought there were lots of pharmacy jobs in the UK which are well paid:confused:

There are a couple of pharmacists in my town who are millionaires but they got lucky as they got in at the right time.Like all of the science professions at the minute (medicine,dent,physio,vet etc) the seniors at the top are very comfortable while those at the bottom are really struggling.Quite frankly one generation has destroyed prospects for the next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Cara Bean wrote: »
    hi anyone there doing pharmacy or know the pharmacy course in and out?
    i am thinking of doing it in college but i am not quiet sure what will we be learning literally and how hard is it?

You need to start thinking about what you would like to do as a career rather than about a few years in college. If you gets the points to get into a pharmacy course you will have the ability to complete it BUT it is hard intensive work and you must have a interest in the subjects covered.
    Nobody can tell you what sort of job you will get in 5-6 years time because nobody knows. 10 years ago it was a secure, well paid job but the cuts of the last few years have seen a sharp drop in wages and demands for greater 'productivity', i.e longer hours and more work squeezed into those hours. There has been a jump in the number of students graduating and with free movement into Ireland from other EU countries there is a lot of competition for jobs.
    Don't listen to what 'people' say. Talk to pharmacists and to pharmacy students.

I work in hospital pharmacy. I find it enjoyable if slightly underpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 emerlola

I work in hospital pharmacy. I find it enjoyable if slightly underpaid.

Hey Im hoping to get a place in a pharmacy technician course in September. Looking into work placement and was just wondering has anyone done the course and had a hospital placement? How did you go about getting this placement?

As you work in a hospital pharmacy, do you know how one get a work placement there?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭irishrepeat2

emerlola wrote: »
    Hey Im hoping to get a place in a pharmacy technician course in September. Looking into work placement and was just wondering has anyone done the course and had a hospital placement? How did you go about getting this placement?

As you work in a hospital pharmacy, do you know how one get a work placement there?

same q im doing pharmacy though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Contact the pharmacy department in the hospitals directly - ring them to inquire or send a letter/e-mail and include your CV. Most hospitals will take students for a few days or weeks during the summer. Many don't run an official placement, it's just up to you to get in touch and see what their set up is.

Advertisement