Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a heating solution.

• 02-08-2013 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭

We live in a small tereced house.

The gas boiler broke last October and we have had no heating since. We need a new boiler at a cost of €2000. No matter how much we put aside for this, it wont be bought in 2013!

We have been using the immersion for hot water as its our only option. I think an electric shower would be a better solution for this year, but I'm not sure if our wiring would have to be upgraded first.

This is it:

[IMG][/img]etei4j.jpg

Do I get a plumber or an electrician to decide if I can install a shower?

I need an electric shower, not a power shower, right, like a T90.

For heat, we are going to open up a fireplace in one room downstairs.

Is there a cheaper way of supplying heat and hot water just for 1 year until we get a new gas boiler that I am not thinking of?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I would be getting an electrician to look at your fuse board first before doing or considering anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

It wont do. They might make a second mini board for the shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Great so its an electrician I need before I consider a plumber.

A separate fuse board sounds like a great solution, about how much do you think that might cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Great so its an electrician I need before I consider a plumber.

A separate fuse board sounds like a great solution, about how much do you think that might cost?

Try electrical forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I'll do alot of electrics but shower fuses is one place where I draw the line.

If you mess it up you can kill someone in a instant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I would be getting an electrician to look at your fuse board first before doing or considering anything.

Some electricans also install showers, so if you can find one that does all the better.
    Your first port of call is an electrican to replace the fuse board.

I also have a small teraced house but my modern fuse board has one big master fuses and 13 trip switches including the shower. Safety comes first before heating, you only have one master fuse and four house fuses which are a not as safe as trip switches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Even if you get a new gas boiler those electrics will need to be upgraded.

I'll look for an some one qualified to do the electrics and the shower.

I know the electrics need upgrading but I am going to have to put that job behind the boiler.

I'll look for an some one qualified to do the electrics and the shower.

I know the electrics need upgrading but I am going to have to put that job behind the boiler.

I know money can be tight at times but get electricans advice.
    Safety V heating = no contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

First things first what is wrong with your old boiler?

• Advertisement

Its a Baxi Solo 2PF.

It's had the 'PCB card'
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005M0N7R6/ref=asc_df_B005M0N7R614?smid=A19WG5309YUPR0&tag=ciaouk-kitchen-mp-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B005M0N7R6

replaced twice and we were told last time that if we replaced the card again, it may only last a week and go again and that basically the boiler is just caput! At €395 and €280 per time for replacements we cant justify trying another card.

Its a Baxi Solo 2PF.

It's had the 'PCB card'
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005M0N7R6/ref=asc_df_B005M0N7R614?smid=A19WG5309YUPR0&tag=ciaouk-kitchen-mp-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B005M0N7R6

replaced twice and we were told last time that if we replaced the card again, it may only last a week and go again and that basically the boiler is just caput! At €395 and €280 per time for replacements we cant justify trying another card.

Solo in normaly a solid basic boiler. You don't by any chance boil the kettel under it and steam gets into it. I know, stupid question but you would be surprised how often this us the cause of PCB boards giving trouble.

Any other ideas anybody?

The boiler is in a wardrobe in the bedroom....so no!

It only has 2 rads off it.

We used to use it for 2 half hour bursts per day and I think the service person it was under usage, but the second engineer didn't mention this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

We used to use it for 2 half hour bursts per day and I think the service person it was under usage, but the second engineer didn't mention this.

Only 2 rads? Would it nog be alot cheaper to get 2 electric heaters

Are there any auto air vents above the boiler that might be weeping and coming down The back of the boiler into the pcb housing.

Perhaps some of us here can send a second hand pcb down to you and there might be someone local here that can fit it for you.

Do you think there's a fixable reason why the pcb keeps failing?

I asked two engineers would they instal a new pcb that I sourced and they both said no, that they would have to supply the part.

I'm in waterford city, by the way.

I have two oil heaters that we used last winter, one standard size and one tiny one and they increased my bill by 16 euro a week when we used them.

The combination of the immersion and the heaters meant we are still paying of a 1000 euro esb bill.

Do you think there's a fixable reason why the pcb keeps failing?

I asked two engineers would they instal a new pcb that I sourced and they both said no, that they would have to supply the part.

I'm in waterford city, by the way.

I have two oil heaters that we used last winter, one standard size and one tiny one and they increased my bill by 16 euro a week when we used them.

The combination of the immersion and the heaters meant we are still paying of a 1000 euro esb bill.

There's no reason why you can't supply your own part.

There is something a miss if the pcb keeps failing.

JohnnieK wrote: »

Or condisation/ dampness in old house with bad ventulation as boiler is in a press and only running 2rads.
    Bad ventulation in the press I ment.

JohnnieK wrote: »

I could be wrong but I think our public liabilty insurance does not cover parts supplied by client, but their house insurance covers that.
    I've no problem fitting clients supplied parts and just mention this to them and make note on reciept and get them to sign it.

OK so there is no ventilation in the wardrobe at all.
    There is a sticker:

?ui=2&ik=bf31d466c6&view=att&th=14045f822f4a9ce1&attid=0.1&disp=thd&realattid=1442382777247865743-1&zw

There is a vent in every other room but none in that room. It was installed by Bord Gais.

There is no evidence of liquid in the wardrobe but moisture could be a different story. There is no rad in the room with the boiler so it is a very cold room and I didnt use a heater in that room last year, just some wool blankets. Maybe the room is too cold for the boiler to work, our fridge died because the kitchen was so cold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

Doesn't that boiler have a new pcb where you have to change the harness aswell with the board.was it the new type board.what fuse is in the spur.if the fuse is to high and you have a dodgy fan or coil couldnt this cause a board to keep going.

I'm not sure to be honest, only the board was changed each time, nothing else.

I think my new task is to get another engineer out to look at the boiler and tell my why the card keeps failing.

If the card needs to be replaces again how much labour would I be looking at, I'm thinking 1.5 hrs for the replacement?

Of course at this stage it will need another service too.

I really appreciate the information I have received here, thanks guys!

There is a sticker:

?ui=2&ik=bf31d466c6&view=att&th=14045f822f4a9ce1&attid=0.1&disp=thd&realattid=1442382777247865743-1&zw

There is a vent in every other room but none in that room. It was installed by Bord Gais.

There is no evidence of liquid in the wardrobe but moisture could be a different story. There is no rad in the room with the boiler so it is a very cold room and I didnt use a heater in that room last year, just some wool blankets. Maybe the room is too cold for the boiler to work, our fridge died because the kitchen was so cold!

I honestly dont think condensation is the issue. The appliance is a room sealed appliance also.

crock! wrote: »
    Doesn't that boiler have a new pcb where you have to change the harness aswell with the board.was it the new type board.what fuse is in the spur.if the fuse is to high and you have a dodgy fan or coil couldnt this cause a board to keep going.

That's the Potterton Suprima your thinking of.

There is a sticker:

Wardrobe doesn't need outside ventulatiin. Just a vent high and low on the press to allow air to circulate, if not heat and cold air + cold wall leads to condisation in boiler. Your service eng. should have spotted this if you don't have it. Again I don't want to be knocking him as were not there to see what's its like.and my opinion could be compleatly wrong I'm sure u understand.

I'm not sure to be honest, only the board was changed each time, nothing else.

I think my new task is to get another engineer out to look at the boiler and tell my why the card keeps failing.

If the card needs to be replaces again how much labour would I be looking at, I'm thinking 1.5 hrs for the replacement?

Of course at this stage it will need another service too.

I really appreciate the information I have received here, thanks guys!

Ring Potterton Ireland (BAXI) 014590870 and explain the situation to them on the phone. Tell them the outcome to date and where you stand. At least they will be able to get you in contact with a guy in your area that knows the boiler inside out. I change boilers all the time and if I come across a Solo I will take the pcb and get it too you some how.

Wow, that would be great, I'll get onto that phone line Tuesday.

At least I can ask an engineer about air circulation.

I would be over the moon if I got the boiler working and would seriously look into getting the electrics upgraded.

Thank you very much but I don't think my electrics could handle electric heaters.

So, just to update, I called the Baxi number last week and they gave me the number of the guy who looks after those boilers in the area.

The guy came this morning and he was an absolute gent to deal with.

He serviced the boiler and according to him he can not see any reason for the pcb to fail again. In his opinion there is nothing at all wrong with my boiler and the usual issues with the fan etc dont apply to my boiler.

He replace the pcb and as of this morning we have heat!!!

I am so delighted! I thought we would be another winter without heat.

Also the PBC replacement was 20% less than the last supplier and 35% less than the first supplier.

Thank you to all the posters here, brilliant advice.

Also thank you to johnie K for the offer of sourcing a pcb, very generous of you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement