Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Week Yay or Nay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorikeet111

nineteen66 wrote: »
    In the 90's ,from what I remember everyone seemed to dress normally.Owners,trainers and the old timers were the only ones wearing suits.In the madness that was the Celtic Tiger,the developers with the whitened teeth,pink shirts and pointed shoes had the Louis Copeland suit to finish the look.The wives were orange looking creatures with a big hat and loads of bling.For the last 6 or 7 years it's kids in the confirmation suit pished at 3 in the afternoon and the "ladies",well I'll let someone else comment on them......oh,it's a nay for race week.

My god there is nothing wrong with looking stylish and looking after your looks. If someone wants to whiten their teeth fair play to them. Race week is a festivals that brings thousands of people to Galway and brings millions to the local businesses that employ local people. With festivals that brings that amount of people together it will get messy at points, lets remember Galway is a small city. On the whole I taught the week went well. Thursday afternoon wasn’t a nice place to be around Eyre Square with all the youth(15 to 18 year olds) of their mind on drink I’ll give you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

My god there is nothing wrong with looking stylish and looking after your looks. If someone wants to whiten their teeth fair play to them. Race week is a festivals that brings thousands of people to Galway and brings millions to the local businesses that employ local people. With festivals that brings that amount of people together it will get messy at points, lets remember Galway is a small city. On the whole I taught the week went well. Thursday afternoon wasn’t a nice place to be around Eyre Square with all the youth(15 to 18 year olds) of their mind on drink I’ll give you that.

But it's all fur coat, no knickers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nineteen66

But it's all fur coat, no knickers.....
    And they haven't a pot to pish in now and owe tens of millions.Ah but wasn't it great while it lasted,sure what harm did it do?..........

And they haven't a pot to pish in now and owe tens of millions.Ah but wasn't it great while it lasted,sure what harm did it do?..........

I meant lacking class rather than any reference to money, daahhhling!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorikeet111

What kinda rubbish are ye talking. Not real world stuff anyways. Goodluck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 nineteen66

I meant lacking class rather than any reference to money, daahhhling!
    I agree with you,the class was definitely lacking,you could dress them up and the place to bring them was the races. Did anyone see the clip on utube this week of the guy at the races wiping his face with a fifty euro note?Now that was class:D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Sure once people are making money its all good..... If they invest that in looking pretty, even better.Who cares about the people who have to fork the **** outta the alleyways, clean the vomit off the streets, smell the piss in the doorways and live here the rest of the year....all the above were only caused by 15 to 18 year olds just in case anyone wasnt aware

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    Sure once people are making money its all good..... If they invest that in looking pretty, even better.Who cares about the people who have to fork the **** outta the alleyways, clean the vomit off the streets, smell the piss in the doorways and live here the rest of the year....all the above were only caused by 15 to 18 year olds just in case anyone wasnt aware

I blame the parents not the horses

100% yay for me. I take the week off every year and have been going racing since I was a child.

Was racing the 7 days again this year and spent the last 4 nights on cross street and quay street. You won't get craic like the streets of Galway during the races anywhere else in the world. Can't understand what's wrong with people not loving it.

The whole thing from the racing, getting dressed up every day, drinking on the streets, the atmosphere just brilliant, there isn't a place in the world I'd go even of I was given the trip for free if it meant missing race week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Fun

VovhTwQ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Fun

VovhTwQ.jpg

Now I can understand why Galwegians hate race week and want to get as far away as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

Thank god its over :-). Still i earned a nice few quid working the week as i do most years...this definately being my last. I have lived in galway 8 outa last 12 years and have never gone racing or even gone out on a race night. I hope i never do as, while most people attending are lovely people just here for the craic, it is just too busy and messy for me.

Great for people in the hospitality sector if they can put up with the drunken ****e and long hours as one can rack up two weeks wages over the seven days quite easily. Add in the arts festival and a nice lump sum can be put aside for whatever (for me a week abroad in a coupla weeks time). I can fully understand how many galwegians and other residents hate the week though.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Now I can understand why Galwegians hate race week and want to get as far away as possible.

Why because there is a bit of rubbish around at the end of what is basically a massive street festival? What outdoor event with 1000's of people attending results in the place being immiculate after it.

Also why post a picture after the night is over with a sarcastic comment "fun", thats also eyre square, cross street and quay street are the places to be .I'd expect nothing better from the anti-fun wompa1. I certainly had brilliant fun both at the course and on the streets at night like I do every year. So depressed today that its all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Goldenjohn wrote: »

Sure if people weren't doing that then Galway would be dead! It happens once a year, all the pubs make good money as do a lot of businesses across the city. Bar, nightclub and restaurant staff get a nice bump of hours for the week too which is sound. Yes it is messy in some parts and some people who travel to Galway for it aren't the greatest at handling their drink, but the races are once a year for a week, if you don't like them, go on your holidays! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Glad its over, it has become a bit too much, the orange wimmin and the cheap suits are getting really annoying.

Why because there is a bit of rubbish around at the end of what is basically a massive street festival? What outdoor event with 1000's of people attending results in the place being immiculate after it.

Also why post a picture after the night is over with a sarcastic comment "fun", thats also eyre square, cross street and quay street are the places to be .I'd expect nothing better from the anti-fun wompa1. I certainly had brilliant fun both at the course and on the streets at night like I do every year. So depressed today that its all over.

Does that look like fun to anybody else? It looks like human misery and human filth. I wasn't there this year but don't they usually have two large red skips in the Square for litter? So people chose to throw their ****e on the ground.

Also, where do/have you lived in the city? You ever worked in the city itself during the races? Ever been in a job that forced you to deal with these filthy drunken animals?

I'm not even against the races. I don't like them but whatever. If you live near to the city center you are not going to get a lot of sleep for the week which is no good if you have to work in the morning. Also the benefit to the local economy is grand but if I personally lose money when the wing mirror of my car is kicked off by some scumbag, that makes me less tolerable. The first Volvo Ocean Race was much more fun, in my opinion.

The problem isn't event the Galway Races. It's the people and the attitude towards drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭moochers

I'm with ya, Wompa1,

I'm not against anyone having a good time, hell I'd go to the races if I had the dosh. It's the general filth, noise and behaviour that annoys me.

I live in the city centre, 'back the west' as we call it, and its not nice having to clean the front garden every morning this week, with take away wrappers and discarded food, broken bottles. Putting the bins out is a nightmare cos usually some eejit will knock them over for the craic. My back garden wall is used as a public toilet too.

moochers wrote: »
    I'm with ya, Wompa1,

I'm not against anyone having a good time, hell I'd go to the races if I had the dosh. It's the general filth, noise and behaviour that annoys me.

I live in the city centre, 'back the west' as we call it, and its not nice having to clean the front garden every morning this week, with take away wrappers and discarded food, broken bottles. Putting the bins out is a nightmare cos usually some eejit will knock them over for the craic. My back garden wall is used as a public toilet too.

A friend of mine use to live down in Woodquay. He would wrap cling film all around his front gate. They obviously couldn't see it in the dark. They would go to p!ss on the gate and it would all fly right back onto their suit pants.

A friend of mine use to live down in Woodquay. He would wrap cling film all around his front gate. They obviously couldn't see it in the dark. They would go to p!ss on the gate and it would all fly right back onto their suit pants.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

Thank crap it's over.

• Advertisement

Does that look like fun to anybody else? It looks like human misery and human filth. I wasn't there this year but don't they usually have two large red skips in the Square for litter? So people chose to throw their ****e on the ground.

Of course the aftermath doesn't look like fun but the tens of 1000's of people packing the streets would indicate that yes an awful lot of people do think its fun!

Do you take a photo of an empty concert venue after a concert with no doubt plenty of rubbish on the ground or the picture of an empty stadium covered in rubbish after a match to argue either of them are not fun? I can tell you for a fact the bins around quay and cross street were totally full so there is no choice but to but stuff on the ground but to be honest I don't think it's a big deal inside the exclusion zone especially there is a massive clean up operation every morning where people are no doubt getting extra hours/extra pay to work on.
    Also, where do/have you lived in the city? You ever worked in the city itself during the races? Ever been in a job that forced you to deal with these filthy drunken animals?

I'm home from the races as I don't live in Galway, my home place is just outside the city but I would love to be living in town during it, I made that statement every evening it would be brilliant. I never worked in the city centre and I take race week off every year so obviously haven't worked at all with people during this week but would the people rather not make money working this week who do?

As seen as I attend every year and go out in town plenty of nights I must be one of the filthy animals.
    I'm not even against the races. I don't like them but whatever. If you live near to the city center you are not going to get a lot of sleep for the week which is no good if you have to work in the morning. Also the benefit to the local economy is grand but if I personally lose money when the wing mirror of my car is kicked off by some scumbag, that makes me less tolerable. The first Volvo Ocean Race was much more fun, in my opinion.

The problem isn't event the Galway Races. It's the people and the attitude towards drink.

It's one week get over it. What about the 1000's who love it and want to attend, would it be fair on us to stop race week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I live in the city and dont find the noise intrusive at all, pubs put out speakers but as long as theyre gone after Race week then i dont care. As for the photo, it kinda looks like someone opened a bin bag or two and threw it around, there werent any large bins in the Square this year, unless i missed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sataction

What a load of miserable gits. Its only one week in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

It's been around a lot longer than nearly every other event in the city. It's part of what Galway is all about.

I spent every summer of my childhood up there, walking from home. It's changed a lot but so has Ireland.

You can't pick and choose what the city is all about. If you don't like it it's easy to get away from, really is and if you work in the hospitality trade you took a job that involves race week.

I'm away at the minute and would love to be in my hometown for the races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Wompa, honestly there isn't any need to keep incessantly prattling on about how much the drinking culture in Galway: and its student population, irks you so.

We get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Still I'm sure you can see both sides here and how people hate it the same way as Edinburgh people hate to be around when the Fringe is on.

When i lived in Ireland I saw the long weekend in August as an opportunity to book a holiday somewhere.

Wompa, honestly there isn't any need to keep incessantly prattling on about how much the drinking culture in Galway: and its student population, irks you so.

We get it.

It's not Galway. It's Ireland and it doesn't bother me all that much because I don't live there anymore. Makes me a bit sad though.

Of course the aftermath doesn't look like fun but the tens of 1000's of people packing the streets would indicate that yes an awful lot of people do think its fun!

Do you take a photo of an empty concert venue after a concert with no doubt plenty of rubbish on the ground or the picture of an empty stadium covered in rubbish after a match to argue either of them are not fun? I can tell you for a fact the bins around quay and cross street were totally full so there is no choice but to but stuff on the ground but to be honest I don't think it's a big deal inside the exclusion zone especially there is a massive clean up operation every morning where people are no doubt getting extra hours/extra pay to work on.

I'm home from the races as I don't live in Galway, my home place is just outside the city but I would love to be living in town during it, I made that statement every evening it would be brilliant. I never worked in the city centre and I take race week off every year so obviously haven't worked at all with people during this week but would the people rather not make money working this week who do?

As seen as I attend every year and go out in town plenty of nights I must be one of the filthy animals.

It's one week get over it. What about the 1000's who love it and want to attend, would it be fair on us to stop race week.

What about the 1,000's? I'm not saying to stop the f'kin thing. You are a filthy animal if you puke, p1ss or sh1t on the street, if you throw your rubbish on the ground, if you do any criminal damage and/or if you are an obnoxious pr1ck.

I could never get Race Week off while there, I wasn't senior enough and worked for a company in the city. Most others I worked with, took it off to get out of the town for the week.

Also, an empty stadium and an empty field from a music festival are different to a city. People live and work in the city who have nothing to do with the races. I never benefitted from the races. I worked in retail for a few of the years and IT for a few more, usually we got quiet during the races. The law should be enforced during race week, crack down on drink driving, crack down on littering or being overly drunk in a public place. so basically just enforce the law the same way it is any other week of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What about the 1,000's? I'm not saying to stop the f'kin thing. You are a filthy animal if you puke, p1ss or sh1t on the street, if you throw your rubbish on the ground, if you do any criminal damage and/or if you are an obnoxious pr1ck.

I could never get Race Week off while there, I wasn't senior enough and worked for a company in the city. Most others I worked with, took it off to get out of the town for the week.

Also, an empty stadium and an empty field from a music festival are different to a city. People live and work in the city who have nothing to do with the races. I never benefitted from the races. I worked in retail for a few of the years and IT for a few more, usually we got quiet during the races. The law should be enforced during race week, crack down on drink driving, crack down on littering or being overly drunk in a public place. so basically just enforce the law the same way it is any other week of the year.

Fully agree with the law being enforced but is there any evidence of an increase in drink driving during RW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Fully agree with the law being enforced but is there any evidence of an increase in drink driving during RW?

Id love to see any factual evidence of an increase init. Also for those saying no to race week what would you replace it with, that would bring in the same volume of money into the local economy. I am a Galwegian & go racing two or three times during race week. Alot of my friends take the week off to go racing as well.

Advertisement