Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

time is money

Options
  • 02-08-2013 6:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

how long after eviction does a hotel have to refund a customer who has paid in advance if there is no damages or reason to withhold their money

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Why would a hotel evict someone? I can only think of non-payment, anti-social behavior or theft/damage. Can you provide more detail, if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

how long after eviction does a hotel have to refund a customer who has paid in advance if there is no damages or reason to withhold their money

surely if someone was kicked out of the hotel (for a valid reason) they wouldn't be entitled to anything back as it would be similar to someone cancelling at the last minute and not giving the hotel the opportunity or time to re-sell the room.

I'd imagine you are p1ssing against the wind looking for money back if you were thrown out of a hotel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you initiated the stay but then broke hotel policy's and had to be kicked out I'd see no reason for any refund.

You broke the hotel's policy, the fact you had the room or rooms booked means they couldn't be rented out to others. If the hotel refunded you they'd be out of pocket through no fault of their own.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The hotel made the choice to evict, they don't get to evict and keep the money. If they are not allowing a paid customer to stay - for whatever reason - they cannot reasonably keep that money...it's kinda what makes the decision to evict such a serious one as the hotel will have weighed up that the customer is not worth hassle for the money they're making off him/her.

@OP if you have not done any damage, or anything to incur any penalties and have requested a refund from the hotel I would expect it back after no longer than 2 weeks - even that is a long time, as it shouldn't take more than a few days to process. Have you requested a refund for the remaining days you were due to stay?

The hotel made the choice to evict, they don't get to evict and keep the money. If they are not allowing a paid customer to stay - for whatever reason - they cannot reasonably keep that money...it's kinda what makes the decision to evict such a serious one as the hotel will have weighed up that the customer is not worth hassle for the money they're making off him/her.

@OP if you have not done any damage, or anything to incur any penalties and have requested a refund from the hotel I would expect it back after no longer than 2 weeks - even that is a long time, as it shouldn't take more than a few days to process. Have you requested a refund for the remaining days you were due to stay?

i'd like to see where you are getting the information to base this option from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

whippet wrote: »
    i'd like to see where you are getting the information to base this option from?

I'd love to have a good reason to do some research for you...would absolutely love one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Who gets evicted from a hotel for no reason?

I'd love to have a good reason to do some research for you...would absolutely love one.

Its just that I am of the opinion that what you have said is rubbish and I'd like to see if you could back up the claim that you made.

whippet wrote: »
    Its just that I am of the opinion that what you have said is rubbish and I'd like to see if you could back up the claim that you made.

...but what you are of the opinion of doesn't concern me in the slightest, I mean I could waste hours going back through old threads here and elsewhere, I could take the time to retrieve links from webpages once read, I could...but I won't.

If you want to prove me wrong put in the work to back yourself up rather than make a simple throwaway comment that what I have said is rubbish and then expect me to provide you with info.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

whippet & pleasant Co. Stop picking at each other. It's derailing the thread.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Not a chance a guest gets a refund after being kicked out for breaking hotel policies. On the other hand, if the guest is walked (the hotel is full and moving the guest to a nearby property), the guest should expect not a full refund, but rather a token compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Not a chance a guest gets a refund after being kicked out for breaking hotel policies. On the other hand, if the guest is walked (the hotel is full and moving the guest to a nearby property), the guest should expect not a full refund, but rather a token compensation.

It very much depends. There can, depending on the circumstances be grounds for compensation and the unusual step of awarding damages for emotional distress. Ah cases involving solicitors... always a good read.

Advertisement