Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season question.

• 02-08-2013 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

My friend has a Yorkshire Terrier aged 9 months. She nearly weighs 3 pounds.
    She started her first season on the 21st of June, the thing is she is still in season and it is now August. I have never heard of a dog being in season for this long. She is still dropping small bits of blood and still receptive to males.

Her vet said this can be quite normal for a dog on it's first heat. I have never heard of this before.

Any advice welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I've never heard of that. I would assume the vet would know but might be no harm getting a second opinion?

Only one of my dogs was ever in heat and it last less than 3 weeks. Shes a yorkie too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No, thats not normal at all. Def get her to another vet, not the one that said that its normal. She could have an infection in there so a vet trip is in order asap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's not normal, but it does happen! My GSD had her first heat at 9 months, all was normal. But then she came into heat 2 months later, and stayed in heat for 5 weeks. And then, a couple of months later, she came in again! This time, the vet stopped it in its tracks with a hormonal injection, so that we could get a clear run of a couple of months before spaying her.
    We never got to the bottom of the problem, but we did get rid of it! I wouldn't be happy to let the little dog continue like this, for a whole lot of reasons. It's not fair on her or her owner. I'd suggest a 2nd opinion too, with a view to stopping this heat, and getting her spayed in 2-3 months' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Two vets have already said they would not spay her as she is so small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My small dog came into heat very young and was in heat for 5 weeks, the vet recommended spaying 3 weeks after the heat as it can be a sign of frequent and long lasting heat cycles as DBB mentioned.
    Spaying sorts the problem, my vet thought it was a hormonal issue, I was getting her spayed anyway, it just happened a bit earlier than I planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I would be getting a third opinion from a recommended vet.

If she's too small to spay then surely it would be a disaster for her to fall pregnant.

I wonder if she is anywhere near DBB's vet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I can't see how she'd be to small to spay, my friend had her chihuahua done last year and she was about that weight.
    Definitely ring around, and get her checked, just in case of infection.

Advertisement