Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA process

Options
  • 02-08-2013 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Quick question that I hope hasn't already been asked. I've applied for BTEA and I'm just wondering what happens now. Is there an interview with them or what is the process once the application is sent? I'm definitely eligible in terms of qualifying for it.

I've followed this forum for the last 6 months and found everything really helpful throughout the process of applying for my course, BTEA and SUSI applications so thanks to everyone who takes the time to post.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

as far as I remeber you have to bring in a letter from the college when you start to say you are a full time student, and then your B.T.E.A begins after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

Do you hear before that if you have/will be accepted or does that only happen once you get a letter confirming your registration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Shine7 wrote: »
    Do you hear before that if you have/will be accepted or does that only happen once you get a letter confirming your registration?

I remember getting a letter out say I was getting the BTEA but it would not begin until I had the letter from the Uni saying I was registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭rob w

Shine7 wrote: »

I think you get something from them to confirm you will receive the btea brfore you register, cant remember though as it was two years ago when i applied.

Also they dont seem very finicky about it, if you meet the eligibility criteria you should have no problem getting it.

And the best way ive found to get an answer out of them is to just keep calling them or visit the office.....if you dont ask you dont get, and they never seem to be in much of a hurry to let you know unless you do!

Hope that helps!

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 BinaryRyan

Sorry to Hijack this thread

Have you or anyone who have applied this year heard anything back from Btea? and did you or anyone who applied for Btea and Susi this year get ask to provide documentary evidence that they have received it?

Kinda weird since I contacted them(susi) and about this and they said they need a letter from social welfare stating I'm receiving it and how much I am receiving.

BinaryRyan wrote: »
    Sorry to Hijack this thread

Have you or anyone who have applied this year heard anything back from Btea? and did you or anyone who applied for Btea and Susi this year get ask to provide documentary evidence that they have received it?

Kinda weird since I contacted them(susi) and about this and they said they need a letter from social welfare stating I'm receiving it and how much I am receiving.

I haven't heard anything about BTEA yet. In the SUSI application form it asked how long I was on welfare for and at what rate so I gave an estimate but I assume they are going to look for further proof (although I have gotten a letter looking for photocopies from every event in my life thus far but not about my welfare!). You can get a statement from welfare stating how much you have received in a certain year etc so I assume that would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mamaehinoh

hi sorry for asking but i applied for btea 3 weeks ago, and still haven't heard anything back? when i applied i told them that i'm a deferred student, and i handed in the letter that dcu sent me (to accept my deferred place) and the lady said that that should be enough.. i still haven't heard anything. should i be worried? i know i'm eligible, i have been unemployed for a long time now. thanks.

I not 100% but I don't think the people (deciding officers) over btea have looked at them yet.

I know that's the case with my local office since I needed a letter from them for susi stating I had applied for btea and social told me while I was in there that my application is with the others in the pile which should start getting processed next week so you'll probaly get a letter sometime in the next two weeks saying approved but please provided a letter from the college stating you have registered with the start and finish dates on it to starting receiving btea.

that doesn't make any sense.. binary ryan, i'm sure social welfare would give u a letter stating that you have applied, but won't get it yet until you have been registered for your course. i hate dealing with susi..

• Advertisement

Nope, social were fine they gave the letter I needed for susi within five minutes of going in but they also mentioned that everyones application for Btea in that office hadn't started to be processed yet so if that's the case for all swo that's why you haven't heard anything.

As for the letter from the college stating you registered that's just social welfare making sure everything is in order for technical purposes and has nothing to do with susi thankfully.
    I hate dealing with susi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

I got my letter saying I was accepted to BTEA within a week just to drop in my registration letter by October.

It may have been quicker because I'm with the main cork office

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I sent in btea application in end of june, heard nothing back at all since :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

bri007 wrote: »
    I sent in btea application in end of june, heard nothing back at all since :(

If you haven't heard from DSP within a couple of weeks of sending in any application experience has taught me to get in touch with them. They could have lost the application, sent it to the wrong dept, sent your confirmation to the wrong address. Give them a ring.

I went down to my social welfare office this morning and asked about my btea application. She told me they are going to be looked at this week or next week. I asked her to check if my form was there, she went and looked and said it was and its all in alphabetical order?

Should I have received a letter stating I have applied for btea still?

paperclip2 wrote: »
    If you haven't heard from DSP within a couple of weeks of sending in any application experience has taught me to get in touch with them. They could have lost the application, sent it to the wrong dept, sent your confirmation to the wrong address. Give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You would probaly have to request the letter. It might no be given automatically.

Thanks paperclip2, yeah I didnt want to ask today about letter, rock the boat sort of thing, once i started asking a few questions they got a bit narky. they just said its in a file waiting to get looked at.

Might go back down again maybe next week and see if any update

hmm maybe i should do the same then.. i live in portlaoise. small enough office.. its getting close now though i just want to make sure that i will get it before starting the course. i also just got an email from susi saying that they posted the letter asking for documentation out on wednesday.. finally tg. i applied in late july for that. i'm stressing enough as it is now lol with all the paperwork/declarations/garda vetting lol that comes with nursing haha.. its going to be a busy few weeks. and on top of that i'll be moving soon so need paperwork to be over and done with

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Giving it holly

When you are offered a course, you can apply for the BTEA. When they get around to looking at it, they will make a decision on whether you will get it or not. If you meet all the criteria then they will give it to you. They will let you know of this but you won't be put on the BTEA until you go to the college on registration day and ask the college for a letter to say you are starting the course. Then send it back to the Welfare Office and they will put you on the BTEA. You won't have to sign on while on it and your money will be put into the bank so this is handy. 2 years ago there was a grant given of €500, last year it was €300 and guess what it is this year,
    €0
    Last year i was after starting the course before i was put on the BTEA, so don't worry about this.
    Hope this helps
    Enjoy the course

Advertisement