Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The COLLUSION thing

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Serious props to Spooky for standing up to this bull. Someone has to do it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Does Chris G ever think?

Like it or not he's put himself in the position where he is a sponsored player. He has chosen to work hard and become one of the best players in Marvel and enter tournaments where he's payed by other peoples money that pay, not just to play, but also to get a seat watching the best players go at it.

If you want to feck around, do it in the early stages. Definitely don't put Spooky, who's sponsered by Madcatz, who just made the collusion rule a thing, in the horrible situation where he either has to end a tournament or appear to be endorsing collusion against the wishes of his sponsor.

Dicks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I guess it's time to make tournaments character-lock, or character-lock with a named secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I guess it's time to make tournaments character-lock, or character-lock with a named secondary.

Actually in cannes 2012 ae pools there was a staff member who asked each player in our pool who our main and secondary character was, and that you were only allowed switch to your secondary character if you lost. Was only a few pools that did that as well which was weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

i dont think that will be necessary since you can easily tell when someone is trolling and when someone is serious. for example at ECT 2013 when F.Champ revealed his "Anti Chris G" team (Dorm, Morrigon, Pheonix). we all knew that wasnt his main team but we knew he was trying his absolute best to beat Chris.

if there was character-lock (or in this case "team lock") he would have never been able to give this tactic a shot and we wouldn't have had the chance to see a tactic that was working thus giving the community an opportunity to grow/develop new tech.

in the case of the last Battle Circuit weekly tourny, we could all see they were laughing and not taking this seriously when they jumped on.

also, i was reading up on Chris G's twitter.... man he bitches like a little girl :/ good to see players like Alukard and Nerd Josh were standing up for Sp00ky and calling him out.

• Advertisement

the blow up Youtube version

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

2gen wrote: »
    the blow up Youtube version

lol @ Eventhubs results

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012

1. -
    2. -
    3. BIFU|Spabrog (El Fuerte)
    4. Chris Hu (Oni)
    5. TS|Sabin (Rose, Dhalsim)
    5. EMP|Hiro
    7. Autodemon
    7. Lazyone

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

"both finalists were killed during the tournament so out of respect we didn't list their names."

Thought this situation might deserve its own thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Don't like the idea of character locking (after all then we wouldn't have gotten to see Infiltration pulling out Hakan against PR Rog), but collusion definitely has to be knocked on the head. Those who collude need to realise that sponsors will be very quick to jump ship, especially if spectators stop watching because results are pre-determined.

FGC has had to work incredibly hard to get a few players who can afford to live off earnings and team salaries and it could all be undone very quickly!

🤪

• Advertisement

Guys, you should go promise sponsors you'll enforce their collusion rule.

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE DRAMA AND CONFUSION.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

absoulute madness..
    wouldnt be into character locking myself..or could your second character be random select.. whoop whooop...

I don't think this will have as big of an impact on the day-to-day players as we think it will.

This isn't "We don't want people messing around in Grand Finals"

This is more "Chris G is being a spoilt petulant child who is ruining things for everyone, and we need official sounding rules to disqualify him under."

So, I don't think will affect anyone in this thread personally BUT...

This seems to have pretty badly damaged the FGC's image as a whole, and it's probably going to have negative effects on big future American events, American TOs, sponsorships etc
    Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    Actually in cannes 2012 ae pools there was a staff member who asked each player in our pool who our main and secondary character was, and that you were only allowed switch to your secondary character if you lost. Was only a few pools that did that as well which was weird

Yeah my pool didn't do this, but you did the best from Ireland, so I'm not sure if they magically started caring once you got far

That sounds more to me like a system from stopping players with many characters in their pocket from "first game" counterpicking their opponents (since nobody ever asks for blind char select).

For example if you say mained Akuma, but had a pocket Hakan.

Then as you sit down you see your opponent has already selected T-Hawk. At that point you might be like "Well, I can play Blanka pretty well, I'll just go with him"

Under the WGC thing you're describing, you might be forced to go Akuma and only pick Hakan at a loss (or be allowed to pick Hakan first).

But you couldn't just pick your favourite char from a stable on a per-match-up basis.

Not saying I agree with it, but that's the only kinda logic I can derive from what you're describing.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Story is breaking out into the mainstream gaming scene, huge reddit thread about it here. Had to explain the situation to some friends too. More tales that make the whole scene look like arseholes, just what we need!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Biggest news at the moment is that this whole collusion thing has apparently cost the FGC a big sponsorship deal

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74249187&postcount=2107

Good Ultrachen on this

I tend to convert voice-only episodes like this to MP3 and listen to them while I walk via websites like this

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I just want to make it clear any games I lost to Doom in tournaments where due to collusion, I agreed to let him win because I felt sorry for him and didn't want to see him cry so much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I can understand Spookys frustration here as there is nothing more disrespectful to a Tournament Organizer than to maje a joke of the event in the manner they did.

I ran a European Championships for a game in 2008. Players came from pretty much all over Europe for a 2-day tournament. Broke my back for 9 months to get the event planned and realized. Got tons of sponsors on board, room discount for the hundred or so competitors. All was set.

The event was being dominated by two guys from the same play group in Prague. Both were in different semi-final matches against a Berlin player and a Dutch player iifc.

As I was playing a friendly match, one of the Czech players was overheard by myself and a few other players stating that, if both himself and his friend from Prague reached the final, he would immediately concede and let his friend win because he always wanted it.

Had to disqualify him. He was in effect ruining the grand final of 9 months of planning. While I do not believe they were disrespectful, it was still rage inducing. He even apologized afterwards.

I can only imagine the anger Spooky felt when they seemed to be blatently doing it. It makes a complete joke of the hard work.

Damn, just like Onion I got a message from someone completely outside of the scene asking

"Hey so what's with this collusion thing I hear about in your tournaments?"

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Rb1TWk2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

Totalbiscuit had a few interesting words about the situation.

i feel that the international scene has come to a point where if someone isn't behaving accordingly, they should be banned from events for a certain time period.

things like Noel Brown beating his ex at CEO 2013 (resulting in him going to jail) and Chris G acting like a child shouldn't be taken lightly.

also for those who didn't see this at Eventhubs, Flocker's side of the story at VxG..

... so Chris G did what he did cause he was pissed at the organisers for what happened in the IGAU brackets...

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/19800000/-Facepalm-lunashay-19892493-750-600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

I had gathered from the little comment I get from Eoghan about the US streams that ChrisG is an arse but I really do not understand this, if they want to split the pot whatever, whoever wins the money is entitled to do what they like with it but why on earth would they not still play a serious competitive match. They aren't gaining anything by making fun of the tourney and putting on a crap show. Where's the logic in that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2gen wrote: »
    i feel that the international scene has come to a point where if someone isn't behaving accordingly, they should be banned from events for a certain time period.

things like Noel Brown beating his ex at CEO 2013 (resulting in him going to jail)
    While I can't condone it, I would consider that a personal matter outside of the FGC's spectrum.

More: http://pattheflip.tumblr.com/post/54414358578/why-im-pissed-off-about-this-noel-brown-****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

i get the fact spookys stream is his job.
    he makes money from it.
    if less people watch his stream because of ****ing about, the stream could lose sponsors, he then loses money.

HOWEVER...chris g and sanford are not his employees, if they want pick whatever character they want, they can.
    if they want to piss about and risk losing there own sponsors, they can.

while spooky wasnt wrong for doing what he did because there were putting his sponsors on the line ****ing about rather than just there own,
    if i was a sponsor id prob be more annoyed with the rant of cursing and moaning afterwards from spooky than what chris g/sanford did,
    bitching about people not being professional in a totally un-professional way wont help his point along.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Woah woah woah, that Noel stuff happened at a tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

he makes money from it.
    if less people watch his stream because of ****ing about, the stream could lose sponsors, he then loses money.

HOWEVER...chris g and sanford are not his employees, if they want pick whatever character they want, they can.

while spooky wasnt wrong for doing what he did because there were putting his sponsors on the line ****ing about rather than just there own,
    if i was a sponsor id prob be more annoyed with the rant of cursing and moaning afterwards from spooky than what chris g/sanford did,
    bitching about people not being professional in a totally un-professional way wont help his point along.

I think the whole problem, which was outlined in Ultrachen's video, is this ruling being applied to weekly events. e.g lvlup

It is a very particular circumstance for Spooky however due to their sponsership with MadCatz themselves. I do believe weeklys should not abide by these rules unless directly affilated with a company that holds disapproval towards collusion.

Chris G's behaviour will tarnish himself and his sponser. they should suspend him from attending locals till his sponser decides to chastise him.

796099910.png?1375413679

• Advertisement

he makes money from it.

The decision to do nothing was taken away from Spooky when he sponsors said they wouldn't support anyone who endorsed collusion. He literally couldn't sit there and let it happen.

Advertisement