Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are all sessions in Pubs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

Not ALL sessions are in pubs. Some people have them in their homes and Comhaltas often host sessions in parish halls and the like. But in general, I think it is out of convenience to hold a session in a pub (public house)... A good place for people to meet.
    As well as this, many musicians enjoy a drink while playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

maybe in some areas but down here it seems as if you got to go to a pub (i may be wrong) if you want to hear live irish music.
    tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭squonk

Why does it matter? How can you not frequent pubs in this country? Personally speaking I'll frequent the side of the road if there's a good session going on there regularly. A nice pub is an addition to a session IMHO. I've been to gigs in cafes during the odd Trad Festival but there isn't the same vibe to be honest. It's nice to have the option of a drink to chill out. Nothing is stopping those who are not drinkers from drinking coffee or tea in a pub.

i went to a pub just to hear a favourite group of mine,ryan's fancy.
    i could not hear them properly as people were stamping their feet, banging their glasses on the tables & shouting,doing anything to make noise.when they were playing jigs & reels i could not hear a note with the noise.
    i gave up & came home disgusted.
    the reason i went was to listen to the group but it was a complete waste.

tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭squonk

Sounds like people were having the craic in fairness. A pub is far different from a concert venue which, to my mind, sounds more like what you were after. Any pub that's in any way busy will have punters making noise. I lived in a town at one stage that had an excellent session in a pub that's sadly no more. You could hear every note that was played and enjoy it all. The trouble was I and maybe one or two others were the only people there listening. There were more musicians there than punters. Naturally this couldn't continue, hence why the pub is no more.

Like anything, if you want to hear a group in a pub, get in early and snag a seat beside the musicians. I avoid pubs where I know I won't get to do this and where the crowd noise is going to be too loud to hear the musicians.

• Advertisement

this brings us back to the original question " why are all the sessions always in pubs"

tony

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

coolvale wrote: »
    this brings us back to the original question " why are all the sessions always in pubs"

tony

Well, in Ireland it just seems like the natural option.

If you're going to play in public, the majority of people will want to sit down and have a drink while they enjoy the music, unless it's a concert. You can either look for a place that can accommodate music+punters+drinks, or you can use of the gazillion such venues which already exist in the country. Some of them are more suited than others, but overall I think they're still the easiest option.

i have been searching for concerts in the area without success.
    so i finally gave up.
    my listening now is the radio , cd's & records.i know it is not the same as a live venue.

tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is no particular reason, it's tradition.
    People congregated in public houses or someone's house for various reasons back in the day. That where the musicians came too.
    They didn't have concert halls or fancy cafés then.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

basically they used to be held in peoples houses then the government introduced the public dance halls bill in 1935 which put all music out of houses and into the pubs because that was the only place where they could meet as music was now banned from houses and unlicensed premises :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

EastTyrone wrote: »
    public dance halls bill in 1935

My god I had no idea there was once such a backwards and asinine law.
    Thou shalt not gather in your gaff with a few mates to play a few tunes and have a beer for it is sinful.

un-friggin-believable.

Advertisement