Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound quality in the O2.

Options
  • 02-08-2013 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else have any issues with the quality of sound at gigs in the o2?Having been to a few gigs there and sat and stood in different areas I have to say the sound has always sounded just a bit off. I would have expected better for a venue like that. One or 2 gigs were particularly bad. Anyone else felt the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I've only been to one gig in the 02, was sitting and was well impressed with the sound quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I thought it's generally pretty good. It's definitely much better than the old Point. Last time I was there was for Eric Clapton and the sound seemed perfect that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The only gig I've been to with real sound issues was the first Roger Waters Wall show last year. Other than that I've found it to be pretty good as large venues go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Last gig I've seen was biffy clyro and the sound was amazing! I always find it great tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

No issue here. Great for Horslips, AC/DC, Elvis Costello, Priest and a few more.
    Way better than the Point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

Have never had an issue with sound in the O2. By contrast, had an issue with the sound at EVERY gig I went to in the Point

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I was at The Wall there and the sound quality in standing was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Seen Neil Young, McCartney, Rage Against the Machine, AC/DC, Kiss, Dylan, Prodigy, Guns n Roses and a few others there and the sound is fairly crap. Too low and really nice sounding. Clean. Like a **** car stereo. Soulless place. Like some sort of big DIY superstore. I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Cheers for those answers. I just nearly always hear an echo type sound and not just from a guitar but from drums and vocals too. If others aren't finding it that way then maybe I just need my ears checked:).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Horrid sounding venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

I think I have been at the O2 around 15 times and I have never had an issue, I think it is a great venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

the sound in the old Point was a lot better, we went to the O2 to see Mark Knopfler just after it re-opened- we were shocked at the poor sound - very muffled and hazy. we have been to many concerts since and it can be hit or miss in terms of clarity...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

the sound in the old Point was a lot better, we went to the O2 to see Mark Knopfler just after it re-opened- we were shocked at the poor sound - very muffled and hazy. we have been to many concerts since and it can be hit or miss in terms of clarity...

I tend to agree, now it was a dirty shít hole but the sound was spot on. Saw numerous bands in there, think Morrissey was the last artist I saw there, and he was damn good.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I tend to agree, now it was a dirty shít hole but the sound was spot on. Saw numerous bands in there, think Morrissey was the last artist I saw there, and he was damn good.

I stood beside one of the main speakers for the Chemical Brothers in the late 90s and Im pretty sure it permanently damaged my right ear. Great venue! Thats what you want from a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

yep the Point was a dirty crappy spot and yes the O2 offers better space/loos/room for movement...... considering the premises is superb it is truly shocking that the sound quality hasn't been rectified... we were at a few comedians in the past couple of years and even they were indistinct- Bill Bailey comes to mind. By the way I do not have a hearing aid and am well under 80yrs old!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Surprised people have issues with the sound in there. It's obviously not gonna compete with a club for <1000 people (with a good system and engineer) but it's a good few light years ahead of the sound in the Marquee in Cork or a stage at an average festival where the stage might be thoughtlessly built on a slope instead of facing towards the slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The Nal wrote: »
    I stood beside one of the main speakers for the Chemical Brothers in the late 90s and Im pretty sure it permanently damaged my right ear. Great venue! Thats what you want from a show.

What happens when you run out of ears to damage?

blastman wrote: »
    What happens when you run out of ears to damage?

I start on the eyes. Ill stare directly at the sun or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

As someone in the sound business for nearly 34 years, I get very annoyed by people blaming this & that venue for poor sound.

In a nutshell, the main factor that determines the sound is the engineer, in every venue (assuming the band is worth a damn of course!).

There has never been a greater arsenal of great tools at the engineer's fingertips, but the standard of sound engineering has never been so poor, largely due to pitiful sound courses churning out kids who want to be rockstars and talk a load of ****e, but can't use a simple console or place a mic in the right spot.

No offence meant to the OP or others, but this is real pain in my ass.

Happily, there are still some great engineers in Ireland, and elsewhere, who take real pride in their work, and produce consistantly good results because of experience and a real understanding of equipment and how to deal with a different room every day.

I hope you all get to hear some really good shows in the O2 etc, because it can be done.

Ciao ;)

g

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Have been to loads of gigs in the O2 and have never had a problem with sound . Was only at 2 gigs in the old point (Stereophonics 05 and Foo Fighters 05) and hated the venue and sound was bad . The o2 has been a massive step up as a venue and have never been at a bad gig sound wise imo , Does not matter where i was standing always could hear everything perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As long as you aren't way out to the wings its pretty damn good in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

In case it needs to be pointed out, the system is different for almost every show. Most of the bigger acts will bring their touring production, while smaller shows may be a Litton Lane, PHG, MWS or other Irish supplier, and the specs will be chosen based on the show's needs and the promoters budget.

So, to summarise, there will be vast differences in the PA system from show to show. There is NO house system.

g

• Registered Users Posts: 13 adelemcgovern

I've been to loads of gigs in the 02 and found the sound brilliant!! As far as I'm aware it was designed specifically for sound quality and it hasn't let me down yet. The sound is always fantastic. Job well done Mr Crosbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement