Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky broadband

• 02-08-2013 12:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭

I got sky broadband a few days ago. The eircom box I have is located in the hallway.

My skybox is in the sitting room. I had hoped to connect the two and avail of the ondemand service.

Anyone tell me what I need to do or get to bridge the gap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

alphamule wrote: »
    I got sky broadband a few days ago. The eircom box I have is located in the hallway.

My skybox is in the sitting room. I had hoped to connect the two and avail of the ondemand service.

Anyone tell me what I need to do or get to bridge the gap.

What happened to your Sky hub?

Try these. You plug one of them into an electrical socket beside your router and the other goes ijnto a plug beside your digibox. Hook one of them up to your router, connect the other plug to your Sky digibox. It'll send your broadband signal through the copper electrical wiring in your house.

http://www.eircom.net/accessories/broadband/

You acn find cheaper ones elsewhere, I just found that link above through a quick Google-search.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

What happened to your Sky hub?

Try these. You plug one of them into an electrical socket beside your router and the other goes ijnto a plug beside your digibox. Hook one of them up to your router, connect the other plug to your Sky digibox. It'll send your broadband signal through the copper electrical wiring in your house.

http://www.eircom.net/accessories/broadband/

You acn find cheaper ones elsewhere, I just found that link above through a quick Google-search.

Have the sky hub. Its just too far from the skybox.

Will check out those homeplugs, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭GreyAlien

Try the sky wireless connector. Should work out cheaper than homeplugs. It plugs into the back of your skybox and will connect to your sky modem box in another room.
    http://www.sky.com/products/kit/wireless-connector/

GreyAlien wrote: »
    Try the sky wireless connector. Should work out cheaper than homeplugs. It plugs into the back of your skybox and will connect to your sky modem box in another room.
    http://www.sky.com/products/kit/wireless-connector/

Perfect!

Have the sky hub. Its just too far from the skybox.

Will check out those homeplugs, thanks.

You can't use another router with Sky, unless you extract the password. Did you do that?

• Advertisement

You can't use another router with Sky, unless you extract the password. Did you do that?

Man I dont know. I plugged the sky hub into the old eircom line as told.

Works fine, its just too far too plug it into skybox!

Man I dont know. I plugged the sky hub into the old eircom line as told.

Works fine, its just too far too plug it into skybox!

Perhaps you're still with Eircom. Run a Speedtest and post the result here, it'll show you what provider you're with.

Perhaps you're still with Eircom. Run a Speedtest and post the result here, it'll show you what provider you're with.

Sure sky just rent the line from eircom

Sure sky just rent the line from eircom

I know that, I changed from Eircom to Sky in January - Eircom own the vast majority of exchanges and copper telephone lines running into people's houses in Ireland. What I'm saying is, you might be still connected to Eircom instead of Sky, your switch over to Sky might not have happened yet.

Post the result from your Speedtest.net and it'll show you who you're connected with.

I know that, I changed from Eircom to Sky in January - Eircom own the vast majority of exchanges and copper telephone lines running into people's houses in Ireland. What I'm saying is, you might be still connected to Eircom instead of Sky, your switch over to Sky might not have happened yet.

Post the result from your Speedtest.net and it'll show you who you're connected with.

Yep says eircom.

• Advertisement

Yep says eircom.

Then you're still with Eircom.

I'm with Sky, but I'm using Eircom's router because I find the Sky hub to be a piece of shít.

Here's my Speedtest result:

2876660391.png

Note that mine says BT Communications. This is because Sky are using BT's technology in Eircom's exchange. Everyone on Sky in Ireland has "BT Communications" in their Speedtest results, too.

Did Sky tell you when your line is active? Usually it's activated at midnight on day you received your hub. If you received your hub today, the plug your hub in tomorrow, or if you can't wait, do it tonight after midnight. Did the Sky rep. explain any of this to you when you signed up?

Then you're still with Eircom.

I'm with Sky, but I'm using Eircom's router because I find the Sky hub to be a piece of shít.

Here's my Speedtest result:

2876660391.png

Note that mine says BT Communications. This is because Sky are using BT's technology in Eircom's exchange. Everyone on Sky in Ireland has "BT Communications" in their Speedtest results, too.

Did Sky tell you when your line is active? Usually it's activated at midnight on day you received your hub. If you received your hub today, the plug your hub in tomorrow, or if you can't wait, do it tonight after midnight. Did the Sky rep. explain any of this to you when you signed up?

Mine is 2.53 - ping 114 - upload 0.31

Mine say bt communications and hosted by eircom.

It was activated day before I received the hub.

Sky rep signed me up without saying an awful lot

Mine is 2.53 - ping 114 - upload 0.31

Mine say bt communications and hosted by eircom.

It was activated day before I received the hub.

Sky rep signed me up without saying an awful lot

Okay then. You're with Sky.

The "hosted by Eircom" is just the server you pinged for the Speedtest. They own that server. If you look at dublin on that map, you'll see there servers to choose from.

Anyway, it seems as if Sky are letting you use a router of your choice, which is good news. About 3 - 6 months ago, Sky broadband customers were complaining about being forced to use the Sky hub, but apparently they dropped that.

Yeah, anyway, enjoy your homeplugs or whatever device you use to connect your Sky Digibox to your router. I have mine hooked up, but to be honest, I only ever uses the On Demand feature once. I can find whatever I want on the Internet.

Okay then. You're with Sky.

The "hosted by Eircom" is just the server you pinged for the Speedtest. They own that server. If you look at dublin on that map, you'll see there servers to choose from.

Anyway, it seems as if Sky are letting you use a router of your choice, which is good news. About 3 - 6 months ago, Sky broadband customers were complaining about being forced to use the Sky hub, but apparently they dropped that.

Yeah, anyway, enjoy your homeplugs or whatever device you use to connect your Sky Digibox to your router. I have mine hooked up, but to be honest, I only ever uses the On Demand feature once. I can find whatever I want on the Internet.

Thanks for your help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

What a confusing statement! When you say 'eircom box' you mean the master socket :rolleyes:

degsie wrote: »
    What a confusing statement! When you say 'eircom box' you mean the master socket :rolleyes:

wow you are so impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

wow you are so impressive

degsie wrote: »

loser

Advertisement