Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been in any of these gyms? [advice]

Options
  • 02-08-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I am looking for a gym near city centre. I have searched on this website and I found that these are the closest gyms in cork city centre. Any opinion about that?? its important to know that I would go at peak time and probably most important for me are the weights, not cardio.

Leeside Leisure inside the Gresham Metropole.

RB Fitness

Mardyke Arena --> probably the best but always very crowded

sanovitae clarion hotel

Riversedge gym --> small and crowded but cheap. the equipment is old and breaks a lot. Probably the worst

NRG in the river lee hotel --> probably the most expensive

maldron hotel

p.s. I will edit this post with your opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

I use the maldron hotel as it's very close to my work and I get a discount from work for there.

Also have used the mardyke while in college.

The two are like night and day.

The madron is quite small, from a cardio perspective it's adequate.

The pool is nice and never really that busy, sauna and steam room are fine.

If weights are your thing I wouldn't go here, I go at peak time after work and it's almost impossible at times to do a full workout, all machines and weights are always busy. Poor selection of dumbells.

Changing rooms and showers are dirty and the lockers don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Used to be joined RiversEdge..

Small isn't the word for it. And the equipment is old and breaks a lot.

Then when it's busy,,which isn't hard for the size of the place,be prepared to que for the machines.

Don't..Just Don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Was joined many years to NRG. Only gave it up when I went back to college and funds are tighter. The other half is still joined so I go as a guest sometimes.

Equipment : Cardio Very good equipment, plenty of it , always some free.
    Weights, Good amount of free weights and machine weights.

Free Classes if your into that sort of thing, like Pilates , Spinning, Bootcamp.

Pool, Steam room, Sauna . Are all much appreciated after a good workout.

As soon as im back working I will be joining again id say.

Im surprised that its the most expensive, when the other half renewed she got 13 months and 5 guest passes for €530. There is a bit of haggle room on their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Locker room is womens fitness now iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

ofcork wrote: »

ohhhh thanks, deleted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

NRG in the river lee hotel

Current member yeah it's dear alright but then again look at it this way

If you do spinning classes or any class at that you have to pay 7 euro a go or 5 euros

So 3 classes a week end up being 15 euro so 15 euros a week for a whole year is 780 euros on top of your membership.

With NRG all your classes are free I do at lest 4 to 5 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Leeside leisure at the Metropole also includes classes. The gym is not generally busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

Brookfield??

Grand enough gym, all the weights and cardio equipment. 25m pool. Large changing rooms. Never too busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

ofcork wrote: »

really? That's a shame and weird. I used to go there about 2 or 3 years ago and found it mostly men there. I liked it as everyone(even the women) were really serious there. Everyone had fantastic gym etiquite and just got down to business. Had a few roid pushers but they weren't that pushy

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

Nidot wrote: »
    Brookfield??

Grand enough gym, all the weights and cardio equipment. 25m pool. Large changing rooms. Never too busy.

thanks but a bit far from the city centre
    Diziet wrote: »
    Leeside leisure at the Metropole also includes classes. The gym is not generally busy.

It seems that Leeside leisure at the Metropole and NRG at River lee Hotel are the best choice

• Advertisement
Advertisement