Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What domesticated birds can you keep outside (aviary wise) in Ireland?

• 02-08-2013 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

Not planning to do this for a few years (if at all), but I like to do my research and be informed before doing anything. As a child I raised a few ducks and such, and the thought of raising a few birds, either as solely pets or a few breeding pairs is appealing. I know some people have out door aviaries but reading up led to conflicting evidence. What birds can you keep in a sheltered enclosure? Be it small finches/canaries/budgies or ducks/quail/chicken. Also what is the best advice on pigeons too? Which birds need a heater over winter considering it can hit well below 0 at times? If anyone knows good bird forums to join, please PM me. Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

Not planning to do this for a few years (if at all), but I like to do my research and be informed before doing anything. As a child I raised a few ducks and such, and the thought of raising a few birds, either as solely pets or a few breeding pairs is appealing. I know some people have out door aviaries but reading up led to conflicting evidence. What birds can you keep in a sheltered enclosure? Be it small finches/canaries/budgies or ducks/quail/chicken. Also what is the best advice on pigeons too? Which birds need a heater over winter considering it can hit well below 0 at times? If anyone knows good bird forums to join, please PM me. Thanks a million.
    Fancy pheasants a nice birds to have and you can sell the chicks or eggs its something different to consider there hardy aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

stoeger wrote: »
    Fancy pheasants a nice birds to have and you can sell the chicks or eggs its something different to consider there hardy aswell
    I know the hunting club up the road breeds general pheasants for shooting, I must dander up and see how they house their birds. Currently I have a decent amount of land but I will be moving and wanting a stable job (hence this idea is gonna be delayed for a few years).
    Is there a market for their eggs - like farm shops etc? I just never see them on sale.

Just on an interesting side note. There are a group of parrots living in wicklow. A couple escaped from copsewood averies. They survived the winter and their number has grown. I saw them myself , Green parrots flying through the sky into the trees.

I have seen people keep Ravens outdoors .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

Thanks Dre. As awesome as parrots are- my friend owns an African Grey and a pair of love birds. They seem a massive handful for a person who only dealt with fowl and small finches in the past :p. Almost like a 2yr old child in her words. If parrots live half decently wild, then I am sure smaller birds can (protected from draughts of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

I know the hunting club up the road breeds general pheasants for shooting, I must dander up and see how they house their birds. Currently I have a decent amount of land but I will be moving and wanting a stable job (hence this idea is gonna be delayed for a few years).
    Is there a market for their eggs - like farm shops etc? I just never see them on sale.
    the ones in talking about are not the hunting type im in a gun club my self thay won't have the same set up as for fancy breeds as for the eggs there sold for hatching not eating Google the golden pheasant there easy to keep .

• Advertisement
Advertisement