Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick puppy

• 02-08-2013 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all, I recently bought a siberian husky puppy that is 2 months old, I noticed he is constantly scratching so I treated him for fleas with bob Martin flea repellent but he is still scratching after days and his skin is covered in brown scabs and there is something like brown dandruff all through his fur. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Has your pup been seen by a vet? Did he have fleas? Could be a flea allergy, could be something else.

At 8 weeks he should be starting his vaccinations so my advice to you would be to consult your vet about this while you are there.

Also steer clear of supermarket brands of flea and worm treatments - get them over the counter from your local vet. practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Take him to the vets - the bob Martin stuff is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sounds like Fleas. You will need to take this pup to the vets to get a proper treatment for this. Stay away from supermarket stuffas others said, esp that Bob Martin one, its rubbish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ghost212

No I did not take him to the vet yet, I will have to take him in a few weeks to get his vaccination so il ask then, thanks.

You're going to leave him scratch for a few weeks?

Has he had any vaccinations? What about worming?

• Advertisement

He has had all vaccinations except one he is due in six weeks, I will make app for vet for next week is there anything I can do to relieve him in the meantime?

Sorry but that doesnt sound right? They never get a vaccination 6 weeks after. Its usually 2 weeks so something doesnt sound right there?

You will need to get proper flea/tick treatment from your vet. The ones in the pet shops/supermarkets are a loads of rubbish and dont work and can actually do more harm than good.

Please take your poor pup to the vets.

Where did you get this pup from? Its not a good sign that an 8 week old puppy is like this?

From a breeder off done deal that my dad knows, I will ring the breeder tonight to make sure and here is a picture of the flakes.

Hard to see.

Most vets are open on a saturday morning. Bring your vaccination card with you and they'll be able to figure out what is going on but your timeframes on vaccinations do not sound right to me.

When was he last wormed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just go to the vet and get a proper flea treatment. They mightn't even charge you to check the puppy - my vet didn't charge me when I took my pup for a check up last week

• Advertisement

Last Saturday, ok thanks for your help.

No worries, let us know how the little guy gets on!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tinyter28

I've a 9 month old Sibe and I use Advocat Spot On Treatment that the vet recommended. Its great cause it does most types of parasites. Its done by the dogs weight (mines on the 25kg or under one)

Can't find a decent link to it on the net, but my pup has yet to have anything and he's in and out of bushes/dog parks/ grasses

Ok I'll try it but where did you buy it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

That doesn't looks like flees. Whats your dogs diet?. I would go and get a mild shampoo from the Pet shop and give him a wash every few days. Alot of dogs can have an alegric reaction to food.

Ghost212 wrote: »
    Ok I'll try it but where did you buy it ?

You need to go into the vets to get the proper one like advocat.

I feed him pedigree dry puppy nuts and sardines.

Ghost212 wrote: »
    I feed him pedigree dry puppy nuts and sardines.

I would get him off pedigree. It's a very bad quality food. Go to your local pet shop and try get a higher quality food.
    Pedigree could be causing the itching in your pup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

has he always been on this food or did you change to it. if you go to the petshop like Petmania or Maxi Zoo for a mild shampoo you could get dryfood like Hills which in my opinion is better. i would be surprized if its flees

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tinyter28

OP.. I get mine directly from the vets but i usually pick up a couple of months worth. Very easy to put on just push the fur apart till u see the undercoat on the back of the pups neck (so he can't get at it) and leave to dry in. Last for a month

Id still get him checked out by vets however just to rule out anything...

I've heard food can cause skin irritation before and agree with the other poster pedigree isn't the best but the vet will advise to a suitable food.. Mine has a real sensitive stomach so if u do change food do it over 2-3 weeks. I feed mine oriijin which is exp but it the best i plan to move him onto something cheaper when he's fully grown (there's a site that reviews dog food quality think its called dog food analysis...Google?)

Hope it helps.. They are great animals .. Tough to care for but they give you back more then you put into them

• Advertisement

That's the food he has always been on but I guess I could change it to see if there's a difference, I found some sort of parasite when I used the flea comb it was a light brown colour so didn't look like a flea.

That could easily have been a flea! Was it quick? What did it look like?

If you are going to change food then make sure you do it slowly or else you'll give the pup an upset tummy. Start by mixing a small amount of the good stuff into the Pedigree and slowly increase the amount until you're feeding 100% of the good stuff.

There's plenty of Sibe owners on here so I'm sure they can recommend a good food for you.

It was a tiny little bug almost like a head lice and I don't know if it was quick I combed it out, ok thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Tiny brown specs are lice...they look like brown dandruff sort of until you realise they are moving....found a stray cat recently who was infested with them poor thing (shes right as rain now in a new home:-)) Advocate spot on will treat lice but to be honest Id get your dog checked out at the vet.

Advertisement