Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor plant care

• 02-08-2013 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Hi I bought a large (3 foot tall) indoor plant from IKEA a few weeks back. Since then it has been shedding leaves to the point where it now has about 30% less than when I bought it. I've never kept indoor plants before so am unsure of what exactly they need. I've been watering it in the bath once a week but leaves still drop off it. When watering I just water the pot until it is heavy, I don't spray water on the leaves- should I start doing so ? Also I haven't given it any fertiliser yet but was thinking of doing so, is tomato feed appropiate ? Or is there something specific for indoor plants?
    Just also a note on its environment- it is in a bedroom about 3ft away from a window, it is in the corner so doesn't have direct sunlight but still gets light all the same. I think I heard that they shouldn't have direct sunlight but they should get some light which is why I placed it there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

I would say tomato feed would be ok to use, any feed is better than no feed. Is the plant pot big enough?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

RATM wrote: »
    Hi I bought a large (3 foot tall) indoor plant from IKEA a few weeks back. Since then it has been shedding leaves to the point where it now has about 30% less than when I bought it. I've never kept indoor plants before so am unsure of what exactly they need. I've been watering it in the bath once a week but leaves still drop off it. When watering I just water the pot until it is heavy, I don't spray water on the leaves- should I start doing so ? Also I haven't given it any fertiliser yet but was thinking of doing so, is tomato feed appropiate ? Or is there something specific for indoor plants?
    Just also a note on its environment- it is in a bedroom about 3ft away from a window, it is in the corner so doesn't have direct sunlight but still gets light all the same. I think I heard that they shouldn't have direct sunlight but they should get some light which is why I placed it there.

Alot of these plants need moist warm air but dont need to be drowned in water either...overwatering them can kill them.

Some info and pics on planting and maintaining indoor plants from Ikea.:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79435352

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Any chance of a picture of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Thanks for the replies. I might have been overwatering it as I just absolutely soaked it until water was coming out of the bottom of the pot.

I'll try to get a pic up of it up tomorrow, I'm staying out tonight.

I don't know exactly what size the pot is but my guess is approx 15 litres. It is just the standard pot it came in so I am going to upgrade it to something nicer and bigger but I don't think I should do so until I have this problem sorted out- my worry is that re-potting it now could stress it even further and lead to it dying altogether.

is there any kind of foliage feed recommended for indoor plants or do people just tend to feed the pot only ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,674 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would say you are overwatering it. No problem soaking it, but once a week is too often, even in this weather. I think it would be a good idea to ease it out of the pot and let the compost dry a bit then repot it. You might find the roots have rotted (black rather than white) in which case you will need another trip to Ikea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

is it a fig by any chance?

Advertisement