Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knaus Fiat Ducato Mirroe.

Options
  • 02-08-2013 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Got clipped by a van this week and my passenger mirror is in bits. It's a D shape with electronic controls. Has a small mirror in the bottom and a bigger one on the top. Anyone know where I could get a replacement one.

He clipped us and must have been doing 70mph and it also damaged the door where the pieces hit it. Should I claim from the insurance or just foot the bill myself. Mirror won't be cheap.

Comments

Scrap yard for mirror arm + main dealer/autoparts for new mirror glass if required if you ask me. Wouldn't bother with insurance...my mirrors are only €25 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Scrap yard for mirror arm + main dealer/autoparts for new mirror glass if required if you ask me. Wouldn't bother with insurance...my mirrors are only €25 though.

Doubt we would find this in a scrapyard that easy, would say 500+

and that not counting the door respray, would if have any impact on my car ins if I claimed?

A second hand door is often cheaper than a respray even after you change the locks etc., they come with mirrors too.
    Call the insurance company and find out.

http://www.partfinder.ie/cgi-bin/scripts/search.pl

I just searched for Fiat Ducato, no specifics, fingers crossed.

http://www.partfinder.ie/cgi-bin/scripts/search.pl

I just searched for Fiat Ducato, no specifics, fingers crossed.

Thanks but no joy there.

I think I found one in the UK but not sure if LHD makes any difference.

• Advertisement

No. Vehicles are usually symmetrical to save on casting costs. ...UK are RHD too...they're the reason we're RHD. I think the sidedness originated from the Romans vs catholic church.

Curiosity got the better of me.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Some historians, believed that ancient travellers on horseback generally rode on the left side of the road. As more people are right-handed, a horseman would thus be able to hold the reins with his left hand and keep his right hand free—to offer in friendship to passing riders or to defend himself with a sword, if necessary.
    The history of the keep-left rule can be tracked back to ancient Greece, Egypt and Rome, and was more widely practised than right-side traffic. Ancient Greeks, Egyptians and Romans adhered to the left side while marching their troops. If two men riding on horseback were to start a fight, each would edge toward the left. Thus, they would be able to draw swords from their right and uphold a defensive position. Eventually, this turned into custom, and later, a law. The keep-left rule was doubtless well-established in ancient Rome because of congestion in the city. In the city of Rome, rules banned wagons and chariots during the day; in other parts of the Empire wheeled traffic was banned during the night, so as not to disturb citizens from sleep. Pilgrims who wished to visit the city were instructed to keep to the left side of the road. By the time the Pope ordered instructions to keep left of the road, this rule was already widely used. The regulation has been practised by some countries ever since.
    There is a popular story that Napoleon changed the rule of the road in the European countries he conquered from keep-left to keep-right. Some justifications are symbolic, such as that Napoleon himself was left- (or right-) handed, or that Britain, Napoleon's enemy, kept left. Alternatively, troops passing on the left may have been tempted to raise their right fists against each other. Forcing them to pass on the right reduced conflict. Hence, island nations such as Britain and Japan (using ships to move troops around and having less need to move them overland) continued to drive on the left.

If the cost or the repair come to over €500 and I do claim will this have any effect on my car ins or next years camper ins?

Depends on your insurance policy. Ring your insurance company and ask would be normal procedure.

m8 wrote: »
    Thanks but no joy there.

Are you sure none of those listed are compatible? I mean a door is just a door, often the same on various models within a 5 year period. A quick call to a main dealer and they'll tell you what would work as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Lhd and rhd Ducato mirror arms are different. A new one is approx 350 for the heated glass one with motorised control. God knows I've changed dozens....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Its easy to get short ones on ebay for £30 delivered or so if your long arms have survived you can swap the long arms onto the short one.

Otherwise just fit a manual one get it delivered with www.parcemotel.com:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Boxer-Door-Mirror-98-06-Man-Long-Arm-NEW-M174R-/281145603748?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

We had the same problem last year a mad spanish white van man wrecked the passenger side mirror i got a standard mirror from theses guys https://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/Wing-Mirrors/Fiat/Fiat-Ducato?limit=5&limitstart=5 and split the new mirror and used the old long arm whice had surived,i did have to clip the plug off the electric cable as it would not go trought the hole in the door,i never did get around to reconecting it,it is now unheated manual mirror and apart from the mirror foging up the odd time we are geting on just fine with it
    I also never got round to touching up the mark that force of the mirror hitting the door made i must put it on my to do list
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055086093&page=2

We had the same problem last year a mad spanish white van man wrecked the passenger side mirror i got a standard mirror from theses guys https://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/Wing-Mirrors/Fiat/Fiat-Ducato?limit=5&limitstart=5 and split the new mirror and used the old long arm whice had surived,i did have to clip the plug off the electric cable as it would not go trought the hole in the door,i never did get around to reconecting it,it is now unheated manual mirror and apart from the mirror foging up the odd time we are geting on just fine with it
    I also never got round to touching up the mark that force of the mirror hitting the door made i must put it on my to do list
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055086093&page=2

I have one on the way to me but it's from a RHD and short arm, hope to do the same as you did and will rewire it. I'm thinking same as you about the door might just tuch up the paint for now or maybe get a new door down the line when I have more time to do it.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Lhd and rhd Ducato mirror arms are different. A new one is approx 350 for the heated glass one with motorised control. God knows I've changed dozens....

Thanks Aidan_M_M I'm lucky as the arm did survive with no damage so hoping the RHD one will work with the old arm and by rewiring the plug maybe be back to full operation.

Anyone thinking of fitting a RH Drive mirror to a LH Drive Ducato just be aware that swapping the arm is not enough as the resting position is still a bit out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Anyone thinking of fitting a RH Drive mirror to a LH Drive Ducato just be aware that swapping the arm is not enough as the resting position is still a bit out.

drill/file a new resting position?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

its quite difficult to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SHIFTER

Got clipped by a van this week and my passenger mirror is in bits. It's a D shape with electronic controls. Has a small mirror in the bottom and a bigger one on the top. Anyone know where I could get a replacement one.

NI TRUCKS portadown & mallusk
    got one 2 years ago £140 sterling

SHIFTER wrote: »

NI TRUCKS portadown & mallusk
    got one 2 years ago £140 sterling

Is that for a Left Hand Drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 SHIFTER

Is that for a Left Hand Drive?
    no it was RHD you should give them a call
    6 Carn Court Rd Portadown, Craigavon BT63 5YX, United Kingdom

+44 28 3836 2413

no it was RHD you should give them a call
    6 Carn Court Rd Portadown, Craigavon BT63 5YX, United Kingdom

+44 28 3836 2413

Got a RHD Mirror from a scrap yard and fitted it so no point unless it's a LHD one.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

I have a LHD Ducato 2001, I cant get the passenger mirror to adjust to suit me, are the arms different for the left hooker? I suspect they are, BTW it has the long arms, the notches where the mirror arms sit into won't allow me a decent view. If they are different I suspect it has been replaced at some stage with a RHD one. Can anybody help?

digger58 wrote: »
    I have a LHD Ducato 2001, I cant get the passenger mirror to adjust to suit me, are the arms different for the left hooker? I suspect they are, BTW it has the long arms, the notches where the mirror arms sit into won't allow me a decent view. If they are different I suspect it has been replaced at some stage with a RHD one. Can anybody help?

Yes they are different, I cut 2 small bolts (beheaded them) and put them in the little dips and it game me just enough to get a good view. Now the little bit that goes into the dips are resting against the bolts so it keeps it's position anf if needs springs back in to position.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

Thanks for that, I suspected they were different, any idea where I could get LHD ones over here (long arms)? I might try cutting new slots in the ones I have to see if it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 finyar

I also have had to replace a passenger mirror. Here is a couple of tips that may help.

A RHD mirror will only work if modified, and it's hard and very expensive to source the LHD version

Use long arm from old mirror as suggested

If you carefully remove each individual pin from the electrical socket it will then fit through the hole in the door and they can be re-inserted again afterwards, thus avoiding soldering.

You will need to cut a new groove in the base plate as mention earlier, I used the old one as a template and cut it with a hacksaw and file.

I ended up with a perfect job but it took a lot longer to do than I had originally expected.

finyar wrote: »
    I also have had to replace a passenger mirror. Here is a couple of tips that may help.

A RHD mirror will only work if modified, and it's hard and very expensive to source the LHD version

Use long arm from old mirror as suggested

If you carefully remove each individual pin from the electrical socket it will then fit through the hole in the door and they can be re-inserted again afterwards, thus avoiding soldering.

You will need to cut a new groove in the base plate as mention earlier, I used the old one as a template and cut it with a hacksaw and file.

I ended up with a perfect job but it took a lot longer to do than I had originally expected.

Yes I found it more or less the same except I cut the wires and re connected them afterwords, just think it's easier. If you are a little worried you could use proper connectors to rejoin them.

Advertisement