Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tutor needed for University Mathematics grind

Options
  • 02-08-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

I am doing a degree in Geomatics at the moment and am struggling with the Maths module, which I am due to repeat in September. :confused::confused:
    I am looking for a tutor who would be available for one-to-one grinds. I have attached some past papers which I am working on at the moment so will give you an indication of the course material.

If there is anyone who would be available, please PM me for details and we can go from there.

Kind Regards,

Niall :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Leopold.

janeybaby wrote: »
    Hi,

I am doing a degree in Geomatics at the moment and am struggling with the Maths module, which I am due to repeat in September. :confused::confused:
    I am looking for a tutor who would be available for one-to-one grinds. I have attached some past papers which I am working on at the moment so will give you an indication of the course material.

If there is anyone who would be available, please PM me for details and we can go from there.

Kind Regards,

Some masterminds on this http://mathhelpforum.com/calculus/index595.html

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

Looks tasty, enjoy OP

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

Hi Niall, I'm a maths tutor- Here is my profile!

Hi Niall, I'm a maths tutor- Here is my profile!

40-45 euro an hour? <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Leopold. wrote: »
    40-45 euro an hour?<snip>

Why does it matter to you? He can ask for whatever he likes, no one is obliged to take him up on it.

I know people who've charged that or more for grinds. I generally charge less than that, but I don't have a problem with somebody deciding that's their price.

• Advertisement

Why does it matter to you? He can ask for whatever he likes, no one is obliged to take him up on it.

I know people who've charged that or more for grinds. I generally charge less than that, but I don't have a problem with somebody deciding that's their price.

I find it irritating that he would ask for that much considering he doesn't even have a professional profile.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I find it irritating that he would ask for that much considering he doesn't even have a professional profile.

If you find it irritating then don't buy any grinds off him. Let others decide whether it's reasonable or not for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

He has a masters in maths, were you really expecting a 20 euro an hour deal?

Tweej wrote: »
    He has a masters in maths, were you really expecting a 20 euro an hour deal?

I don't need grinds in maths, but maybe he would get more work if his prices were lower.

I don't need grinds in maths, but maybe he would get more work if his prices were lower.

How do you know how much work he gets?

• Advertisement

How do you know how much work he gets?

He can't be getting that much if his 'profile' is a boards post.

He can't be getting that much if his 'profile' is a boards post.

Nope, I can't see how that is a logical conclusion to draw.

janeybaby wrote: »
    Hi,
    Kind Regards,

If you contact your Students Union, they will have a list of suitable people for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

Funny thing, I got much less demand from trinity students when I advertised at lower prices a couple of years ago. True story.

Funny thing, I got much less demand from trinity students when I advertised at lower prices a couple of years ago. True story.

Surely €8.65p/hr is enough?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Leopold - please don't call other posters names - attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭bren2001

GodlikeRed wrote: »
    Surely €8.65p/hr is enough?

Supply and demand. I charge between 30-40 depending on who, what and where. Why would I (or Ray) charge less if people pay it? I usually do Leaving Cert grinds and would be fully booked by the end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

Thanks Marianne. My college is DIT Bolton Street and I have already asked my students union and my college support services and was told there is no one available, as it is August and most people are on holidays. I was told that they were available for July but not told this before July so it was of no help to me. Myself and my class mates in the past two years have felt the support from DIT is seriously lacking for people who are struggling with some modules, such as myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

Thanks everyone for your replies and assistance, much appreciated and I have gotten a tutor sorted now for 30 euro a session.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Yeah, there's been studies done on that (I honestly can't remember who did that, or else I'd link them here) showing that if the price is higher, people assume better quality (even if the quality at a lower price is equal) and therefore go for the higher price when presented with two options of equal quality but different price.

• Advertisement

yoho139 wrote: »
    Yeah, there's been studies done on that (I honestly can't remember who did that, or else I'd link them here) showing that if the price is higher, people assume better quality (even if the quality at a lower price is equal) and therefore go for the higher price when presented with two options of equal quality but different price.

True.

True.
    True

Advertisement