Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carne's new 'Kilmore' nine: A review

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Nice review.

Question for you Kevin - Seeing as you ranked Carne very highly in your book based on the original routing, if Carne was to be rerouted so that it's 18 holes consisted of the old back 9 and the new 9, would it get top spot?

I'd imagine they plan on going down that route in the near future anyway. I've played the "old" Carne twice and absolutly loved it, especially the back 9, so I can't wait to see the new Kilmore 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

Thanks for a wonderful review, Kevin.

Thundercat - The "Composite Course" - as it is being called temporarily - routes the holes as per Kevin's photos.

i.e. Front nine = 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,N5,N6
    Back nine = N7,N8,N9,N1,N2,N3,N4,17,18

For the time being at least, this course will only be pulled out on occasion (it will take approximately 1-2 years before the new nine will reach the same level of conditioning as the existing 18).

After that, it is up to the club and the members. I'll leave it with Kevin and others to make a qualitative judgement on the advantages of the routing / course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Thanks for a wonderful review, Kevin.

Thundercat - The "Composite Course" - as it is being called temporarily - routes the holes as per Kevin's photos.

i.e. Front nine = 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,N5,N6
    Back nine = N7,N8,N9,N1,N2,N3,N4,17,18

For the time being at least, this course will only be pulled out on occasion (it will take approximately 1-2 years before the new nine will reach the same level of conditioning as the existing 18).

After that, it is up to the club and the members. I'll leave it with Kevin and others to make a qualitative judgement on the advantages of the routing / course though.

Just out of interest, is it hard to keep the natural local fescue grass preserved when the construction goes on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Question for you Kevin - Seeing as you ranked Carne very highly in your book based on the original routing, if Carne was to be rerouted so that it's 18 holes consisted of the old back 9 and the new 9, would it get top spot?

In answer to your question, ThunderCat, I ended up reading my review shortly after playing the new nine holes and yes, it will be upped a bit alright. Still has that rough-around-the-edges feel to it, which only adds to its charm. Will it take top spot? Probably not as the 'Golf Experience' is already 20 out of 20.

Just out of interest, is it hard to keep the natural local fescue grass preserved when the construction goes on?

Hi John, the problem is less with the fescue that forms the predominant species for greens, tees and fairways - this will always come back through overseeding, footfall and the maintenance regime.

It is more the marram grass in the roughs that hasn't been touched for centuries that you need to be careful with. Once you touch this, then I find it never quite grows back the same. In these areas, broad leaved green grasses always seem to come to the fore with the marram. Therefore it is key to reduce the paths that machinery might take during construction and to only cut back or alter rough areas where absolutely necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Hi John, the problem is less with the fescue that forms the predominant species for greens, tees and fairways - this will always come back through overseeding, footfall and the maintenance regime.

It is more the marram grass in the roughs that hasn't been touched for centuries that you need to be careful with. Once you touch this, then I find it never quite grows back the same. In these areas, broad leaved green grasses always seem to come to the fore with the marram. Therefore it is key to reduce the paths that machinery might take during construction and to only cut back or alter rough areas where absolutely necessary.

Yes, I've noticed the difference in cut back maram on hills, and the flat sort of look for years, and the more grassy they are, compared to the flourishing natural untouched dunes.

Great work, glad it took 20 years and a minimalist approach, can't wait to have a look in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I was at the Scramble too. Even out of the architect's earshot, every was glowing in their praise.

I think it takes an already great course to a new level.

A few photos for any interested...

Par five 1st hole:
    CarneLinks_1_zps967e9385.jpg

Par three 2nd hole:
    CarneLinks_2_zpsace9bb66.jpg

Par four 6th hole looking back from behind green:
    14_101_zps33d6caca.jpg

Par three 7th hole from white tee:
    14_106_zps7808e45c.jpg

Par three 7th hole run-in to green:
    14_108_zps8014771d.jpg

Par four 8th hole tee-shot:
    14_105_zps560d9865.jpg

Par four 9th hole from behind green:
    14_109_zps464d33bf.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

wow, very "mature" looking, must make the trip next year...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement