Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New An Post Sterling card

Options
  • 02-08-2013 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used this? My son is in London and I want to transfer some money. We had a disaster earlier this summer with the O2 card when his sister used one. it only worked at Visa ATMs and the pin didn't work initially etc..... Also considering using Western Union but the cost is quite high. I believe the cost of withdrawing from anATM from his Irish account also incurs high charges. The sooner he gets the UK bank account set up the better!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What about Paypal? Or can he just use his Irish card?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

There is some discussion about the card in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056937192

But for what you want to use it (i.e. load it in Ireland and allow him to withdraw) it won't work as the card must be present to be loaded.

If he is living in the UK (which it looks like) he should sort out a bank account or get one of those prepaid cards that also have a UK account number linked to them, something like https://www.credecard.com/uk/index.aspx which has relatively low fees.

You than could transfer money over to that account.

But if he lives there he really should get a bank account so that you can use one of the exchange providers to get a better rate in transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Tnx, he has just moved over and is looking for work. he can't open a bank account without lots of official documentation so this is just a short-term measure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Does he not have an Irish bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Yes, he does but the exchange rate when withdrawing money overseas is quite prohibitive. In any event, that's what I opted to do.

tnx

• Advertisement
Advertisement