Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croaghanmoira toilet at summit

Options
  • 02-08-2013 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

I took the kids up Croaghanmoira in Wicklow today- great views, spoiled somewhat by a large cubicle toilet (the type used for outdoor events) dumped on its side just off the summit. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to get it up there. Before I report it to the CC as illegal dumping, has anyone else spotted it there/know how long its been there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've never seen it there before I must admit. I'd report it anyway and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Was there some sort of race or event in the area? Very odd place to put a toilet though, I know there's wide tracks that go up but strange place to dump one. The land there is actually owned by Ballinacor Estate below in Glenmalure who manage the lower parts of the hill for grouse shooting etc. Could they possibly be involved in it? I have the farm manager's number there, if you'd like me to give him a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

BarryD wrote: »
    Was there some sort of race or event in the area? Very odd place to put a toilet though, I know there's wide tracks that go up but strange place to dump one. The land there is actually owned by Ballinacor Estate below in Glenmalure who manage the lower parts of the hill for grouse shooting etc. Could they possibly be involved in it? I have the farm manager's number there, if you'd like me to give him a call.

Thank you Barry, if you know the manager and don't mind calling him, the cubicle is located in grass about 20m East of the summit. I thought at first it was a shelter, can't imagine how a cubicle got up there.

I heard from someone else it was spotted there at least two weeks ago (there was a footrace up CM last weekend, but obviously no connection).

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Myself was up Croaghanmoira the 19th of july and the toilet was standing right next to the summit trig. A friend of mine was there just the saturday before and he didnt see anything. So it must have been brought up there within those few days and as you report here someone must have pushed it downhill. Stupid story anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I checked with the farm manager there at Ballinacor Estate and he knows nothing of it, so must have been put there by some other party. Was there any kind of sponsored walk in the area?

Well I went back up there this afternoon with my camera, the sorry results are below. The portable toilet is still up there, and I saw (from debris) the route the mutants who carried it up there took. They went to a lot of effort to drag it all the way up, and spray paint a message "Hill Walkers You're Welcome" on the booth. Now everyone who reaches the summit gets to share in the sinking feeling of knowing we share the hills with such retarded subhumans.

There is a number on the side, Extraloo 1800 222 487, but it doesn't seem to be an Irish number. I'll send in the photos etc to the CC tomorrow. Shameful episode, I just hope kharma catches up on the half-brained idiots who went to such trouble to spread misery.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z1D3-O7HP1E/UgO7ykatsnI/AAAAAAAABAM/C1vZ4kyEKCw/s800/IMAG0254.jpg" height="531" width="800"[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0RxDljpaOUs/UgO70klHxNI/AAAAAAAABAM/0QSmTbIZ7AA/s800/IMAG0256.jpg" height="531" width="800"[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MZI4G-Bv3ks/UgO75p_bNUI/AAAAAAAABAM/X7ag04dwYYI/s800/IMAG0259.jpg" height="531" width="800"[/IMG]

Unbelievable. Where did they drag it up from?

Alun wrote: »
    Unbelievable. Where did they drag it up from?

There's a Coillte road that passes T 093 864, it was probably left here for an event (or some other reason). They dragged it 250m up along a shale track through the forest (judging from the debris), and then another 500m to the summit.

Found this ...

Extraloo
    Crag Avenue Business Park
    Clondalkin
    Dublin 22

Tel: 00353 (0) 1 4673100
    Fax: 00353 (0) 1 4673150
    E-mail: dublinsales@extraspaceoffsite.com

The website appears to be extinct but at least there's an Irish landline phone number to ring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'm sure they thought that was hilarious. Muppets.

Alun wrote: »
    Found this ...

Extraloo
    Crag Avenue Business Park
    Clondalkin
    Dublin 22

Tel: 00353 (0) 1 4673100
    Fax: 00353 (0) 1 4673150
    E-mail: dublinsales@extraspaceoffsite.com

The website appears to be extinct but at least there's an Irish landline phone number to ring.

Well fair play to that company, they took details just now over the phone and seemed eager to send someone up to retrieve the toilet. I asked them to call me back when its retrieved, so hopefully this eyesore will be removed promptly.

*Edit* they called me back for more details, the portaloos were leased by the Army and delivered to the wrong location, the company have been looking for them for the past while, they had just received word of where 5 (of 6) were, and now they know where the 6th one is. They're sending someone down to collect all of them next week, they're eager to get it off the mountaintop as we all are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Thats hilarious. The wrong place and they managed to get it up on top of that mountain. Did anything about the location not suggest to them that it might be wrong. :confused: Fair play to them for getting back to you and being keen to remove it.

Advertisement