Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Boy racers" urged to drive pensioners around

• 02-08-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

What could possibly go wrong?

A town mayor has called on "boy racers" to drive elderly neighbours in the countryside to the pub and bingo.

Paddy Courtney, Mayor of Killarney, said young motorists should "adopt" a pensioner in isolated areas and use their cars to do some good rather than speeding and driving recklessly.

"If they want to be driving these cars, drive properly and mannerly," he said.

"Maybe adopt a friend and maybe take a neighbour to the bingo or down to the pub for two pints and then take them home."

Mr Courtney's novel suggestion follows attempts by Kerry County Council earlier this year to legalise drink-driving for people in rural areas.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/and-finally/motorists-urged-to-help-pensioners-29468276.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

He's a hell of an optimist, you have to give him that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Worth a shot.

At least the old biddies can get to Bingo in time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like the idea, hope it works out for someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Are all calenders in Kerry permanently stuck on April 1st?.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That's actually a very nice idea. Feck it, extend it beyond boy racers and encourage everyone to help out if they can!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Clickety Click.

66mph

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

I can see it now. ......."what kind of cheese was that".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its a nice idea and in all honesty its better use of the petrol then driving around aimlessly showing off to "friends",

Even if one or two young lads do it then some good has come from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

This man should be encouraged.Makeing something positive out of a negativity is a rare kind of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

9 and 4

the spped I got here.

4 and 8

the speed and ambulance does.

• Advertisement

One of the better ideas Ive heard in a while. could be a win/win. I think the youngin's could really benefit from it, if they were willing and cool enough to be up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They might even get a toothless blow job on the way home.

kneemos wrote: »

That's a stunning image. Its like getting sucked off by a Labrador.

mathie wrote: »
    What could possibly go wrong?

A town mayor has called on "boy racers" to drive elderly neighbours in the countryside to the pub and bingo.

Paddy Courtney, Mayor of Killarney, said young motorists should "adopt" a pensioner in isolated areas and use their cars to do some good rather than speeding and driving recklessly.

"If they want to be driving these cars, drive properly and mannerly," he said.

"Maybe adopt a friend and maybe take a neighbour to the bingo or down to the pub for two pints and then take them home."

Mr Courtney's novel suggestion follows attempts by Kerry County Council earlier this year to legalise drink-driving for people in rural areas.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/and-finally/motorists-urged-to-help-pensioners-29468276.html

That's the most ridiculous part of the whole idea

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michealkirwan

id have no problem doing that helping someone out. if you get stopped at a checkpoint you would have to answer some questions and get some looks ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

ken wrote: »
    Are all calenders in Kerry permanently stuck on April 1st?.
    What has Kerry got to do with this? This man was elected mayor by the town council and (as far as I know) has never been elected by the people of Kerry. He's not even a county councillor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

But pensioners were warned not to get into a car if they do not feel comfortable with the motorist. Gerry Scully, of Age Action, said the proposal should be treated with caution.

While jerry the speedo lights up a spliff as he is driving said pensioner to the pub and passes it on ? You'd never know, maybe this can be a way to get some votes from the older folk to vote to legalise cannabis ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Those gums...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

This fella is taking the biscuit here. He's complaining about 'boy racers' speeding and not driving properly yet he's willing to intrust them with the responsibility of the elderly.

Complete ignorance tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

mathie wrote: »
    young motorists should "adopt" a pensioner in isolated areas

Every penny pensioner a prisoner :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

or you get to cull the moron boy racers and the expensive to keep pensioners all in one go......

he's put some thought into this!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

TheComeUp wrote: »
    This fella is taking the biscuit here. He's complaining about 'boy racers' speeding and not driving properly yet he's willing to intrust them with the responsibility of the elderly.

Complete ignorance tbh.

I think the idea is intended to make people become more considerate towards the needs of their passengers and by extension other road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Each pensioner is issued with Dentu-fix prior to getting in hatchback. One tube for a straight run, Two for circular routes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭happyviolet

I don't like it...any of these boy racers could actually be pure scumbags and try to harm the elderly for money or something when they pick them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Taxi drivers will love than idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The pensioners would put manners on the boy racers on how to drive and be considerate on the road, like an education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I like this idea... it's reasonable and workable, so it'll probably never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Only if the pensioner follows the book of the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

What has Kerry got to do with this? This man was elected mayor by the town council and (as far as I know) has never been elected by the people of Kerry. He's not even a county councillor.

It's another idiotic suggestion coming out of Kerry, that sounds like an April Fool joke. Geddit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I'm sure the old people would enjoy sitting on for the hand brake turns and doughnuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Weevil wrote: »
    It's another idiotic suggestion coming out of Kerry, that sounds like an April Fool joke. Geddit?
    It's not "coming out of Kerry" any more than political corruption "came out of Dublin" in the form of its representatives, Mssrs Haughey, Lawlor, Ahern, Dunlop, et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Great idea. If I had a good enough car I'd sign up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've owned a couple of Civics in my time and I can assure even when I was 21 I thought I'd done me hip a couple of times getting in and out of the things. It's like climbing into a well!

It's not "coming out of Kerry" any more than political corruption "came out of Dublin" in the form of its representatives, Mssrs Haughey, Lawlor, Ahern, Dunlop, et al.

If he is speaking as the mayor of Killarney then it is coming out of Kerry.
    Speaking to local station Radio Kerry about the scourge of teenagers driving dangerously late at night, the town chief called for the youngsters to start giving something back to the community. "Maybe these boy racers and racer girls, as they are called, they can look at this and say this is an opportunity to show we can do some good," he said.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I've owned a couple of Civics in my time and I can assure even when I was 21 I thought I'd done me hip a couple of times getting in and out of the things. It's like climbing into a well!

Pift, try getting into a mitsubishi colt 99 model :D it's like trying to fit a triangle into a square. I manage though, some-how.

I could never understand why there was seats in the back of this car because it's soo small it would be just about ok for a two person seater but there is room for 3 other people in the back :confused:

They should have called colt a mitsubishi sardine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

...and then?

...and then?

See what happens :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

With all the long term unemployed and to the wasters that just wont work this should be something to get them doing a bit of work for what they get each week.

I am not saying work mad long hours but get them to help out in their community because that's what it is theirs and everybody's.

Get a little give a little there is so much that could be done to improve a lot of peoples lives.

It would be a bit like community service and maybe if you stuck at it a little extra could be got.

Just an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

That's a stunning image. Its like getting sucked off by a Labrador.

How do you know what getting sucked off by a Labrador is like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Maybe the pensioners will show em a trick or 2 when reminiscing about outrunning the black & tans in a Ford Model T. A few donuts in a micra would be a piece of pìss compared to that .
    The Fast and The Oblivious 8!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Great idea. If I had a good enough car I'd sign up

Howye Mary, I'm Sh*tbag :) where to??

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

The boy racers can keep BANGIN OUT THE CHOONS because the oul ones won't be able to hear them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

Ahhh I can see it now

Passengers:
    Slow down you mainiac....

It's too hot. Turn on the air conditioning....

Boy/girl racer:
    Hey mellow out old dudes or ill jam this baby into a river!... alright!

Right

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thom Merrilin

This sounds like a plot straight out of an episode of Killinaskully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

is the idea to use pensioners instead of traffic cones and drive around them? Like a slalom? Can't get my head around it.... still, give them something to do I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Hope you like your bingo with a side of Vtec love....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I can see it now.
    Some old lad with his head half way out the window as his lil buddy is diffin out the twin cam.
    Or some old lad not even able to hear the vtec kick in yet but assumes the car is driving nice a smooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Of course in Donegal this would be called a Euthenasia programme.

Mind you, Kerry is not too far behind.

Of course in Donegal this would be called a Euthenasia programme.

Mind you, Kerry is not too far behind.

In Kerry it's called killing two birds with one stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

one of the better things I've heard a politician come out with lately

• Advertisement
Advertisement