Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned dog.

• 02-08-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

A friend of mine had to move and couldnt bring their dog ive been feeding her but she cant stay in that house for much longer.. I cant take her myself ive alot of animals ive rescued and two are dogs that dont get on with other dogs.
    Shes big (husky/lab cross) and no kennels will take her as she has no needles while I try sort something out and I dont want to have to give her to the pound, she is a gorgeous dog. Any answers appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ring the ISPCA , give them your "friends" name and number and tell them the situation.

Step 2. Get better friends, I wouldn't be friends with someone who could do that to their dog. If they are willing to do that to their dog they will **** you over if they get the chance too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ring the ISPCA , give them your "friends" name and number and tell them the situation.

Step 2. Get better friends, I wouldn't be friends with someone who could do that to their dog. If they are willing to do that to their dog they will **** you over if they get the chance too.

Here we go again. Perhaps the person had to move for real reasons like work etc? Perhaps the person didnt want to leave their dog behind, but absolutely had to.

Should peole do a strict vetting course of all possible future friends? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

A friend of mine had to move and couldnt bring their dog ive been feeding her but she cant stay in that house for much longer.. I cant take her myself ive alot of animals ive rescued and two are dogs that dont get on with other dogs.
    Shes big (husky/lab cross) and no kennels will take her as she has no needles while I try sort something out and I dont want to have to give her to the pound, she is a gorgeous dog. Any answers appreciated.
    gimmick wrote: »
    Here we go again. Perhaps the person had to move for real reasons like work etc? Perhaps the person didnt want to leave their dog behind, but absolutely had to.

Should peole do a strict vetting course of all possible future friends? :rolleyes:

Um...she left the dog behind her, in the house. There is actually no excuse for that, regardless of why you have to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Moving for work. Dogs can travel too. Cant you move somewhere that's ok with pets ?
    And if the other person absolutely had to leave their dog behind, you would think they would try and organise a home for it , and worst case scenario get its proper shots so a welfare would take it.

"A vetting course of all possible future friends ? " where did I even point to such a thing. My view is that people should be called out on ****ty actions such as this.

If you think this sort of thing is fine that's your own business, but they wouldn't be my friend for long if they were willing to dump their dog like this . As far as im concerned if you take on an animal you make a commitment for its life. And its your duty to ensure its receiving the best possible care for that life.

Moving for work. Dogs can travel too. Cant you move somewhere that's ok with pets ?
    And if the other person absolutely had to leave their dog behind, you would think they would try and organise a home for it , and worst case scenario get its proper shots so a welfare would take it.

"A vetting course of all possible future friends ? " where did I even point to such a thing. My view is that people should be called out on ****ty actions such as this.

If you think this sort of thing is fine that's your own business, but they wouldn't be my friend for long if they were willing to dump their dog like this . As far as im concerned if you take on an animal you make a commitment for its life. And its your duty to ensure its receiving the best possible care for that life.

Exactly. I dont think anyone will judge another for needing to re-home their animal. We all know that life can change and some things are beyond our control, but to just leave a dog...there's no excuse. If you take on a dog, you owe it a duty to be a responsible owner and that includes re-homing if needs be. Who ups and leaves their dog in a house??

edit: perhaps I'm cynical (Stranger things have happened!) but I see an wful lot of "have to move and no dogs allowed"...everywhere....I know most are probably genuine but sometimes....I just wonder....I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe it 100% of the time! You say "no pets allowed" and I hear "I bought my five year old an akita after we watched Hachiko and she wanted one but then he grew like reeeeaaaaally big and we never bothered training him so now I want to offload him" :/

edit: didnt see mod warning, sorry. will remove if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ok Folks, don't derail the thread by quibbling. Back on topic and either help the OP with useful advice or stay quiet.

<snip>

Link to our charter of umbrella rescue groups and charities here, no individual recommendations. Alternatively PM the OP with specific rescue info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

No excuse.. they should have made arrangements BEFORE leaving, regardless of why they had to leave - its as simple as that. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Rescues are your best bet; dogs are not safe in pounds. Google for local rescues or post your general location here and we can PM you some names.

Fair play for helping this poor dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 xBluEmilyBelle

Listen I know they should have sorted something out for the dog they are idiots and I am obviously not friends with this person anymore. I would NEVER abandon any of my own they are part of my family. How was I to know they would leave their dog im not a mind reader and Im trying my best to help the dog so get off your high horses! I would love to take the dog myself but I havent got space.Thanks for the genuine answers I have tried shelters no luck with no needles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Listen I know they should have sorted something out for the dog they are idiots and I am obviously not friends with this person anymore. I would NEVER abandon any of my own they are part of my family. How was I to know they would leave their dog im not a mind reader and Im trying my best to help the dog so get off your high horses! I would love to take the dog myself but I havent got space.Thanks for the genuine answers I have tried shelters no luck with no needles.

In fairness people weren't having a go at you, more at your ex friend who abandoned his/her dog.

When you say it's got no needles presume you mean no vaccinations? Is this something you could arrange? If you tell us what area you're in we might be able to give some advice on rescues etc, taking it to the pound is not necessarily a death sentence a lot of rescues work closely with pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Read back on my polite comment thanks falabo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

I'm finding it hard to believe there's no rescue that will take the dog because of a lack of vaccinations? Any rescues I know, when for example a stray comes in, they'll always vaccinate before being re-homed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Depends on the circumstances, if there are other dogs on the premises they may not be willing to have a new dog among them before her vaccinations kick in. But yeah I would expect that most rescues would work it out somehow so that they can accept the dog (if they have space which is not a given). Vaccinations are usually cheap for rescues if they have deals with vets or vacc dogs themselves, it's worth pursuing it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 xBluEmilyBelle

Just to let everyone know I found a kennel to take her. She is vaccinated now and waiting to be rehomed. I am visiting her for walks in the mean time:)

Just to let everyone know I found a kennel to take her. She is vaccinated now and waiting to be rehomed. I am visiting her for walks in the mean time:)

You're so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dogluver

Im Sorry I am with the people who believe the dog should come first. The original owners should be ashamed. How could they leave the dog. A dog is for life and at least tried to find it a new home before they went. I don't know how they can sleep at night.

They should have been done for abandonment. I am pleased that the dog will hopefully now find a new home that will treat him with proper care:)

Dogluver I share your sentiments. All my animals are other people's "rubbish" - discarded at the side of the road, industrial estates etc. One was even strayed on our road (we live in an isolated area and he was literally dumped out of the car) but you know what they say about one mans rubbish - another's treasure, and they certainly are our treasures. At least there are people like us and OP who will try to cancel out the bad as much as we can. Hope the little guy enjoys his new family!

Advertisement