Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Open Source Project?

Options
  • 02-08-2013 5:29pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any one interested in working on an OSS project from start to finish for the craic?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Itzy wrote: »
    Any one interested in working on an OSS project from start to finish for the craic?

Have you any ideas?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Was thinking of tossing a few ideas around first and hoping to start a little developer community out of it. I suppose we could do some research and see what ideas we come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what level of experience would you need?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I say we shouldn't put any requirement on experience and leave it open to all participants.

Anyone still interested?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Pencil me in. I've been coding since 1987, with experience in systems analysis and building business systems in particular. I'm mostly working in Python these days, with a fair bit of dabbling in Javascript. I have a working familiarity with several other languages, but Python's where my heart is.

Content Management System or Customer Relation Management System. Just tossing out a few ideas. Either or could have a web front end.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd probably be able to contribute to the Web side of things. I'm okay at PHP/SQL/HTML.

Anyone want to toss around a few ideas for a project?

Voucher wallet for mobile? Scan qr codes, barcodes etc.. And relay them back when you are at store.. Tesco club card, subway etc... Although I think there might be a few out there already.

Its pretty hard to come up with ideas.

• Advertisement

Can look at something that has already been done and improve on it or make it our own.

Can look at something that has already been done and improve on it or make it our own.

One idea that I didn't see alot of support for in the android market was image uploaders to imgur and others.

I seen the odd app for imgur but no app with multiple image host provider support.

That's an idea.

Yeah, maybe we can snoop around and see what popular image host services are out there and see if there is much support for them yet.

Now I like your thinking. Even if hosting or support doesn't exist, build it and they will come. I'm sure we can pool enough talent together. I work with C#, .NET and Java. So I can do a lot of back end work to make things happen.

I've had an idea for an app/system for a while but it may not be appropriate in this context.

Basically users have an app that holds some basic information, primarily e-mail address. Then shops have a system that allows the user to tag their device whenever they make an in-store purchase. They'll then have an e-receipt of their purchase delivered to the app on their device which can partially function as some sort of bookkeeping tool. The system can be adapted so that certain stores can use it for their loyalty systems (Tesco clubcard etc.).

I do like the image upload tool though. I'd be up for contributing to that as much as I could.

We could set up a Git Repo and I could work on a back end for the app. Ideas on additional features? (i.e. Sharing on FB or Twitter)

Log in support also, some of them image hosters allow you to create accounts.

On the fly re-sizing? compression?

Resizing and Compression would be useful tools before uploading.

• Advertisement

if it was an multi site image uploader, how difficult would it be to stick to/work with all the different API's?

Instagram recently were deleting photos uploaded by third party apps because of this, something like that anyway

batistuta9 wrote: »
    if it was an multi site image uploader, how difficult would it be to stick to/work with all the different API's?

Instagram recently were deleting photos uploaded by third party apps because of this, something like that anyway

Well there would have to be some sort of check to site what sites will allow 3rd party app access. If instagram were deleting photos, I'm sure they could be ignored or some form of discussion could be brought up with the site to allow app access.

Well there would have to be some sort of check to site what sites will allow 3rd party app access. If instagram were deleting photos, I'm sure they could be ignored or some form of discussion could be brought up with the site to allow app access.

Is Instagram, not one of the post popular? whats the one people use on twitter?

it was to do with an update to their API regards security, but if you complied then with it, it allowed then - i think

but what about complying with all the API's would this be difficult, would you know
    thats really what i was getting at there

hasn't the dev(s) behind Falcon - a popular twitter client - said the were thinking of quitting because Twitters' changing of the API.

I'm a little sketchy on the details here, so apologies

Twitter use twitpic I think. I suppose if that's how things are going, the only solutions are to keep up with the API or develop a site that could allow someone to share with other social media sites.

Twitter use twitpic I think. I suppose if that's how things are going, the only solutions are to keep up with the API or develop a site that could allow someone to share with other social media sites.

it's not twitpic i'm on about, sometimes in the photos you'll see where the image is really hosted, i can't remember now(i've a feelings its Instagram though) what it is but it is quite popular on there, whereas on facebook the images are just uploaded to it first mostly/solely from what i've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I'd be interested in helping out a bit..

(although not sure how much time I can commit, I studied Java in college, but I would not have too much experience with real programming either)

Ideas:
    - Something about Ireland/ Irish language

Although I really like the image uploader idea :)

Since we have a consensus on the Image Up loader App, anyone what to proceed with the project and we could possible set up a git and get a few design docs going.

Actually, just created a Git for use.

https://github.com/djhunter30/Image-Upload-App

Actually, just created a Git for use.

https://github.com/djhunter30/Image-Upload-App

We are going with Android yeah?

I'm ok with that.

Lets find out what all image hosters we can use.

imgur is probably one everyone would suggest.
    tincpic.com is another

And the list continues! https://www.google.ie/search?q=image+hosters&rlz=1C1CHMO_enIE499IE499&oq=image+hosters&aqs=chrome.0.69i57j0l3j69i62l2.1756j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Some possible feature:
    - Hold a history of each uploaded image, include the option to remove the image (dependent in image hosting capabilities, usually a HTTP GET request with unique URL).
    - plugin in support. Can we have image host support added by plugin?
    -- Would image host plugin be based on meta data using common data structure e.g. XML, or would plugins be in form of .jar's ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

(I know it's late) open source glympse replacement based on openstreetmap. Glympse allows to do live tracking and sharing of location.

With enough users that kind of app can provide live traffic info using a central server.

Advertisement