Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Open Source Project?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

PrzemoF wrote: »
    (I know it's late) open source glympse replacement based on openstreetmap. Glympse allows to do live tracking and sharing of location.

With enough users that kind of app can provide live traffic info using a central server.

That would be an interesting project to continue with. I was consider a similar project using AI as well to manage junctions better. Nothing worse than sitting at traffic lights when there's no need.

As for the project Damo, do you see a need for a back end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Itzy wrote: »
    That would be an interesting project to continue with. I was consider a similar project using AI as well to manage junctions better. Nothing worse than sitting at traffic lights when there's no need.

As for the project Damo, do you see a need for a back end?

Hmm don't think so.

Would see a need for a backend with PrzemoF's suggestion, which sounds interesting to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

There is already live tracking option in OsmAnd, but it uses google docs which is a no-go for me:
    http://code.google.com/p/osmand/wiki/HowToSetupOnlineTracking

P.S. OsmAnd has plugin API - maybe there is no need for a separate app as a server backend + plugin might be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Don't forget pix.ie Tbf :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

you're already set on the image uploader idea, but i want to develop an android rte player when i get a chance. open source obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

you're already set on the image uploader idea, but i want to develop an android rte player when i get a chance. open source obviously.
    It would be pretty cool, but would probably require the cooperation of RTE for DRM reasons.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thing is, where we have multiple ideas, I'm sure we could get the ball rolling on each one and people can apply their own skills to a particular idea where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It would be pretty cool, but would probably require the cooperation of RTE for DRM reasons.

well that was the whole point i'd be making it OS. just make it, let it skip ads and download the files and release open source. fcuk RTE. i'd understand if nobody else would want a part of it for that reason.

but of course, to quote linus, talk is cheap, show me the code. i'll report back if i ever get something going

Advertisement